Monday, October 8, 2012

Robot Birthday Party

You have no idea how this post has been niggling in the back of my mind. Every night I wish/want to sit down, cull and edit images, organize thoughts and captions, recount events, etc. But every night I am too tired, or we have had guests and I feel it impolite to sit at the computer, or Phil is home and free from studies and I spend time with him,or, or, or...But finally! Finally, I have conquered the mammoth birthday party post. Only 12 more posts to go to be caught up... (Slight exaggeration on the number of posts but I doubt it.) But for now, behold the birthday post!

In preparation for this party I wanted to incorporate Max and Kate's current interests and make it suitable for both boy and girl without resorting to two separate themes, ie: cowboys and princesses. The kids have been into robots and with the help of the lovely worldwide web it took off from there. Inspiration and creativity abounds on the internet and I had fun with it.

Photobucket

Yes, three kids, one party. I didn't want to throw 2 separate parties and threw Rhett into the mix. I had great reservation about putting the burden of gifting three children on our friends and in talking with them, they told me not to sweat it. I still worried and stewed about it but carried on. They said they loved us and didn't mind one bit. I hope they were truthful and we weren't annoying. In hindsight, the party was primarily geared towards Max and Kate and I should have left Rhett off. We did celebrate him on his actual birthday the following week, super low-key. Gah! Now that I am typing this out almost a month after the party, the feelings of my obvious poor party etiquette still sting. Sorry friends!

Back to the details.

Naturally the food and tablescape of a party is central to the theme and where you can really incorporate all sorts of fun details. Our robot pinata was scored in clearance for five bucks! Woot! The cake was modeled after the pinata and all the food had robot-esque names. The kids were so excited as they saw the "baboons" (balloons) and robot stuff.

Photobucket

We danced like robots, had a robot building station out of marshmallows and pretzels and let the kids play.

Photobucket Photobucket

The cake was fun and relatively easy to construct, I got it finished during nap time the day before the party. Each guest left with a robot party favor. I was so happy with how these turned out.

Photobucket

Our cute kids grubbing down. All they cared about was chips and juice.

Photobucket

Happy Birthday Max and Kate! (Rhett was napping at this point).

Photobucket

Max did well blowing out his three candles in one swoosh.

Photobucket

We relit the candles and Kate took five cute tries to get them out. Phil let her do it all on her own and it was fun to see her little cheeks huffing and puffing with effort.

Photobucket

Success!

Photobucket

Apparently I am really excited to dish out ice cream. But really, it was a great day and I am happy with how it turned out. It was a good balance for me to have a fun and themed party but not to have gone all out crazy. I was relaxed and enjoyed the morning.

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

This picture of Rhett kills me! He is cruising along pushing his walker and spots the stash of gifts. Look at his face!

Photobucket

And then the far right picture when we take him away from the gifts. Caught ya!

Photobucket

We have such kind and generous friends who gave our kids wonderful, thoughtful gifts. Thank you!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

After gifts we headed out front to break the pinata!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

The kids went through twice and we needed some daddy power to get things moving along. Troy punctured Mr. Robot and made progress but Phil wanted to have the final blow.

Photobucket

Naturally he needed to get a golf club. He later confessed that he broke his club. Boys!

Photobucket

Candy chaos ensued as goodies were evenly distributed. Our guests grabbed their favor and left us one by one. We had a wonderful time, have fabulous friends and started off Max and Kate's third year with a bang. Phil was amazing and so helpful. He cleaned up the yards with meticulous detail, helped clean the house and my favorite part was that he really enjoyed himself and seemed relaxed. More like the "old" Phil, pre-med school, where we didn't carry so many worries and stresses. I am grateful for that!

11 comments:

Lindsee said...

The party was fun, you're pretty, and was Nora even there? Haha! ;)

Amy said...

So fun! You guys did great, everything looked so cute an delicious... especially the kids! :)

Caught a picture of Candace... she looks so cute! Tell them hi.

Anjane' said...

That picture of Rhett spotting the gifts is absolutely hilarious! Looks like such a fun party. Great job! And hooray for stress-free family time! :)

Jennifer said...

Love all the robots! I wish my house was bigger so we could have more birthday parties at it. I would've been tempted to combine birthdays too, they're so close to each other. I don't think Rhett minded either, babies are nice like that.

J'lene Fernandez Merrill said...

I don't know why I 've been waiting for this post. It just brought back all the sad feelings I felt when I found out we would be missing it. Putting that aside everything LOOKED fabulous. Good job Heather! Rhett's face and Phil breaking the golf club made me giggle out loud. :)

Dave and Mandi said...

All I can say is WOW. You did an AMAZING job!!! What a great party, and a TON of work. You are a great mom!! I can't believe your sweet little kiddos are 3!!! They just get more and more adorable (if that is even possible).

Nate and Lori said...

It was such a cute party!! We were happy to come and honestly never care that t is for 3 kids so just stop worrying about that. Every little detail was perfect! And I must say that whoever took the cake-blowing out pics did a fabulous job. :). And now I'm sad that we don't live there anymore...

Julie said...

This really was such a cute cute party Heather. YOu did a fabulous job and were so relaxed all morning. Thank you for having us, we really enjoyed ourselves and LOVE your children!

Ryan and LeDawn said...

you are so talented! And those kids!!! Oh my they are cute! That picture in the above post of kate in the wings is to die for!

Shanna said...

What a great party idea! It looks so cute and very well done.

Kimberly said...

Super cute party, Heather! Love the pic of Rhett going for the presents!