Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Kate: 3 Years Old

Photobucket
June 2012

Oh my goodness, where to begin?

Kate turned three in the middle of September and we are completely smitten with her. She is feisty, kind, tender, sensitive, stubborn, sassy, etc.

She loves to dress up and is usually found sporting as many tutus and princess dresses that she can put on.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Kate has a good heart. She mimics me in my interactions with Rhett, tousling his hair when she walks by him, tickling his toes. She is a good helper most of the time. She is also a parrot and honestly this quality gets her into trouble. She can't help but repeat everything. Everything! It's fine when the situation is benign but she barks out orders and sass to Max, talks back when I tell her to do something and is almost always contrary, especially when she doesn't want to comply. She plays and fights very well with Max. We love her though, truly!

I am still figuring her out in regards to discipline. She is obedient and will go to her room when told but she let's it be known that it isn't what she wants. While in her room she will scream, kick and holler forever. She has pipes and knows how to use them. Generally, when the offending child is sent to their room for a cool down, they are in there until they are quiet and calm. In fact, the clock doesn't start ticking until they have calmed down. Kate never gets quiet or calm and if she is particularly upset this process takes up to 30 minutes plus! And that is with me going in to intervene, redirecting her efforts, telling her to knock it off, etc.

Photobucket

Kate loves to have her toes painted and requests a pedicure several times a week, though we usually get dolled up for church. She loves accessories; necklaces, bracelets. She is fabulous at letting me do her hair and her favorites are braids and ponytails.

Kate after a Fiesta birthday party. She wore that hat as long as she could until she broke the elastic in bed one night. We heard her devastated cries from our bedroom, comforted her and then we laughed.
Photobucket

Quotables:
"Whatcha doin' mom?", "You go to your room Max!", "Mo-omm, Max'd hit me!", "No, yike (like) go to room!!" (hollered at me with supreme sass as she indeed does go to her room on her own), "mom, I hungry!", "I show daddy"-usually after she has gotten dressed and feels pretty. "Not our daddy"-whenever she sees another man, "My daddy at school/work", "Max be not nice and kind"...

Kate sleeps with her bear, two puppet kittens, three blankets, a small monkey, anything she can carry into bed is fair game. She is usually the last one to fall asleep and when Max is giving up she will holler at him to wake-up. She needs a good 15 minutes to wake up in the mornings, needs her sippy cup of warm milk and a show.

Photobucket Photobucket

Kate loves music and dancing. She loves to read books, color, play with play-doh and do crafts. She gets frustrated easily and will request help when doing things that require fine motor skills; cutting with scissors, rolling dough into balls, gluing, puzzles. I think it mostly stems from her wanting it be be just right as it is more prevalent when I sit down to demo something or color with her. Then she says "you do it, mom". But with practice and time she gets it.

She still loves to put things in her mouth. The other night I was laying beside her as she was falling asleep. I noticed that she brought her thumb up to her mouth and would just barely trace near her lips. It was bittersweet since I know her thumb brought so much comfort to her but goodness, I am glad that habit is gone! So in lieu of thumb, she puts whatever else she can in her mouth. She found this binky today and snatched it from Rhett to play with.

Photobucket

Photobucket
9.15.2012, right after her birthday party. Completely natural, no posing. And darn it all that the focus is not on her eyes!

3 Year Stats
Weight: 26 pounds-7th %
Height: 35 inches-6th %
She has officially passed Max in terms of percentile, by a hair.
She wears a size 2T but I am purchasing 3T now to get the most out of her clothes and for comfort. Shoes size 6-6.5. She has is just finishing cutting her last 2 year molar.
  Photobucket

Love you Pip.

3 comments:

Dave and Mandi said...

What a fun, sassy, beautiful little lady. Daughters are such a blessing.
Heather I love how much you adore and cherish each of your kids and take the difficult traits in stride. You are so good to document simple everyday moments and major milestones...Could you do my blog for me!?

Nate and Lori said...

Beautiful Kate!! I'm wondering if all of the sass is a 3 yr old girl thing or just a personality trait because we definitely have that at our house. Your photos are amazing!!

Julie said...

Oh we just love Kate! Owen just called her his "cousin" while looking at these beautiful pictures. I love this post so much!