Sunday, April 24, 2011

Five Years

April 24, 2006 at 12:10pm I delivered a four pound baby boy. Camden Brown Gunnell. He was 4 weeks early because we wanted him born alive and without stress so I had a c-section. He was so little. There was no strong cry as they pulled him out. He had a team of doctors and nurses surrounding him; rubbing, suctioning, examining and encouraging, always checking vitals. Phil hovered around as close as he could to record these first precious moments on video.

Finally we hear his muted cry, it sounded like a kitten mewing, just like they said it would due to his condition. I am on the operating table behind a blue curtain, arms stretched out and shaking from the spinal block I received. A little bundle is pressed next to my cheek and soon we all head to a recovery room. He is to only receive comfort care until he passes away. There will be no heroic measures to save a little body beyond repair they told us. 


April 26th we spend our last hours with him. 
~ ~ ~

This morning as I read happy updates on Facebook regarding the light hearted secular side of Easter I was a bit annoyed*. Easter means so much more than bunnies, eggs and candy. Seeing that Camden's birthday falls on Easter this year I am more sensitive to this and was having a low moment missing my boy. 

Our Savior died for us and more importantly He lives for us. Because He lives, Camden lives. I know this with every fiber of my being and have wept tears of joy, gratitude and sorrow today. Joy and gratitude for the gospel because I will see our son again. Sorrow because he is not here with us now and as I watch Max and Kate grow I am reminded of all that we have missed with Camden. I know that Max and Kate would  have adored their big brother and in my heart and mind's eye I like to think that Camden would have been a tender and helpful brother to them. I know they will know him and that I will get to raise him. 

I know this. And yet, my heart still hurts and yearns. 

Happy Birthday Camden.


*I am not against celebrating the holiday with fun activities and will implement them into our own family celebrations as the kids get older. But I always want the focus to be on the Savior, the real reason we celebrate. My mom would give us our baskets on Saturday and I plan on doing the same.

8 comments:

Candace said...

Happy birthday, sweet Camden. What a lucky boy you are, to have such a sweet and loving mom and dad.

Marilyn said...

Such a sweet post and very well said. Happy Birthday to your sweet Camden.

The Price Family said...

Thank you for this post. It's a wonderful reminder. Happy Birthday Sweet Boy!!

Amy said...

I completely agree on the bunnies and eggs thing.

I have felt a mixture of emotions today too. It hurts so much that I can't have Ella right now. I keep imagining what it would be like, what she would look like, what we'd be doing if she were here. Like you, I know I will have her someday, but it's still so hard to not have her now.

Happy Birthday, Camden!!!

teacher2mom said...

Happy Birthday sweet Camden. We can't wait to meet you one day. You do have a very loving family and I love your mom to pieces. Thank you for sharing this Heather.

Andrea Gunnell said...

Happy Birthday to Camden! I like to think that he was one of the angels watching over Kyson as he went in for surgery and throughout his recovery.
It is such an amazing blessing to know our Savior lives and thus families are forever!

Leah said...

You are such a great writer friend...your sweet words brought tears to my eyes. How special that your 1st born chid's bday is on Easter....I love you...

Bryan + Juli said...

Heather thank you for sharing, your tender thoughts touched my heart. I am so thankful for mothers like you who show me how beautiful and eternal this calling is.