Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Baby Follow-up: The Back Story

Yes, we were trying. Yes, it was a surprise.

I am a little obsessive. I like to make lists, I have plans and goals and a road map of how to get things done to get to aforementioned goals. So I approached the possibility of another baby like I do most things. I prepare, plan, go and do. My game plan was to get pregnant this year, not necessarily have a baby this year! Blessings, blessings.

I have been temping in a few dental offices to earn money for my baby fund; the money I would need to see Dr. Craig, my fertility doctor. I would need to save lots of money, lots and lots since we would be approaching another IVF cycle without the help of insurance benefits. I would do IVF since we have embryos still in storage, so it would've been a frozen transfer but still a pricey one. And there is always the chance of it not taking and we don't have the means to go hard core month after month of treatment.

I also started charting my cycle again a few months ago. I wanted to see where my body was, if it was showing similar signs to my previous issues and it also gave me something to do, made me feel proactive. So I took my temperature every morning, logged in all the details of each day that only a woman who has dealt with infertility and the desperate desire to get pregnant can appreciate. And when each month passed without a pregnancy I was okay. I had not reached the crazy obsessed stage. Then it happened. Quickly. Much sooner than we anticipated.

I recognize that I have three beautiful children already and I am so grateful for them. This baby is such a gift and I am so happy and humbled that we were able to conceive naturally. Phil says he never doubted that I could do it and I say that I am shocked that it happened since we tried for over two years prior to Max and Kate. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility as we both checked out healthy and had conceived before. We are now fulfilling that annoying stereotype where a baby comes naturally after fertility treatment. I always hated when people told me to "just relax". Whatever the reason I am so happy. So blessed.

I am feeling great; my typical pregnancy with no nausea just a silly bladder. Weeks 5-7 I did feel crappy, nauseous and unsettled with zero energy. This put a damper on the wellness challenge I was doing and I have since fallen off the wagon. I need to get back to exercise again since my body is remembering how to be pregnant a bit too quickly for my liking, my abs are retreating and it is harder to keep it all in. I fear it is going to be harder to bounce back but that means I am going to need to work harder and be kind to myself. Patience.

It is surreal to be pregnant and with the busyness of Max and Kate I don't dwell on it 24/7. I do think a lot about how challenging it is going to be, how am I going to manage three babies? Max and Kate are still babies to me. They still need so much of me and part of me feels guilty for taking me away from them so soon. But I know it will be fine, I will survive and we will hopefully thrive. This is going to be one crazy ride!

15 comments:

Lindsee said...

Being a mom of twins, I can relate to that thought process of feeling guilty. I have thought about it a lot whenever I think about "what if I got pregnant right now".

If anyone can do it, you can. Let me know if you ever need anything ;)

Andrea Gunnell said...

You are an amazing mother and Heavenly Father knows you will do great with three little ones. Congrats again...so happy for you!

Amy said...

I just want you to know that I'm happy for you guys. You make beautiful babies and you deserve this!
And you're beautiful, don't worry about "bouncing back."
I know, everyone says that. I'm being a hypocrite cuz I'm obsessing over "bouncing back" right now. Counting calories, exercising... whole nine yards.

beth said...

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xxoo!!!

Brittney Blount said...

Congrats again! It is always interested how the Lord blesses you, on his own time schedule, and his own way. You will definetly be able to handle 3 babies. It will be crazy. Good thing they have an awesome mommy! I've just decided life is crazy with kids and you never know what to expect.

Brian and Janette said...

No doubt it will have it's challenges, but the good thing is that you don't have to do it alone...nor do you need to feel pressure to be super mom. Just slow down, get the basics in and all will survive in remarkable fashion. I love Pres. Uchtdorf's talk in this last conference...it was on precisely that...slowing down when things get crazy.

Jennifer said...

You'll be surprised how much easier toddlers get when they turn two. I know you have 2 of them, but one is a hard age. They say terrible two's, but I'm more convinced that its terrible one's. Maybe Max and Kate will decide to cooperate when the next baby comes. You can dream right?

Bryan + Juli said...

Ahhh this is the best news ever I can't wait!!! If you need anything just let me know... I understand being sick and pregnant a little too well! ;) Oh I just wish I could give you a big hug this is too exciting!

The Price Family said...

Remember to just breathe. You are so amazing and your babies couldn't ask for a better mommy. You will be able to do things you never thought you could. That's one of the blessings that comes with being a mom.....strength! Also you are one of the most naturually beautiful people I know....don't stress over bouncing back or making sure you exercise, you really are perfect!

Elise said...

I think pregnancy goes so much faster when you're not thinking about it constantly. Besides you will be so glad that you got them all here so close together because they will be close to eachother. Good luck! So happy for you guys!

Amber Waters said...

I know what you mean about being taken away from your other children so soon. I remember feeling the same way when I got pregnant with Jaxton and Zoe was only 5 months old. When you are in it you just do it and then you look back and wonder how did I ever do it. And it will be so fun for your kids, they will be so close and best friends. You can do it!

Nate and Lori said...

Man, I should send you my baby chart. I get harrassed because I have my babies planned out to a T...all with charts and graphs and things. A bit crazy, yes! But I need to plan these things!

I hear that people say on their 3rd pregnancy they start showing a ton faster. You lost your weight so crazy fast though so you've got nothing to worry about.

Marilyn said...

Congrats! I so remember the days of waking up and putting a thermometer in my mouth and entering it on a chart. I also remember good meaning women tell me to relax. I am sure that if the technology was around then as it is now, I could have conceived on my own. But, I am so grateful to have been given the opportunity to be a mom to Andy. I am so thrilled for you and Phil!

jennyandskyler said...

Congratulations!! We are so excited for you guys! What an amazing blessing! Hope you continue to feel good, I am so happy for you right now! I remember when you told me you were pregnant last time at mutual and I started crying! How wonderful!

Young Fam said...

Cruising through blogs tonight and I just read your post. Congrats. You'll be so fanstastic! Max and Kate couldn't get cuter. They've really changed.