Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Spring Break 2011

Phil had the last week off from school and boy did we ever need it! We had planned on spending the first half of the week in Pinetop with his parents. We loaded the truck after church on Sunday; church ended at 2 and we didn't get started until after 5pm, of course going anywhere with kids adds on like three hours to my time frame. Kids loaded, gear loaded and... truck won't start. Great. We jump it and get on the road. Our four-wheel-drive warning light goes off and we will need it to conquer the snow on the way there. We pull over to test things out, the truck is not in 4WD and yet the warning light is still on. I read the manual and it says to go to the dealer asap. Awesome. Long story short it goes off thankfully and Phil ascertains that the 4WD works and all is well. Drive over an hour through town and get on the Beeline Highway to head north. 10 minutes later traffic is detoured since the highway is closed and will be for an unknown amount of time, but we are told we are welcome to wait. Ha! Max and Kate are already protesting. 

After much effort we call it quits, turn around and head home. 

Tuesday we went to the library for story time and it was fun to have Phil there with us so he could see see what fun things we do each week and it was wonderful to have another lap and arms to help out during the songs. The kids love story time and I was just happy to be together. 

Wednesday we met some friends at the Children's Museum of Phoenix. This place is amazing and it was great inspiration for fun and educational things to do with Max and Kate at home. 

Photobucket

The noodle forest! After some trepidation the kids got brave and would run through on their own but usually with a trusted guide. 

Photobucket

Race car drivers! They did not want to share.

Photobucket

My little shoppers and painters. The kids already love to dig around in our recycling bin with empty boxes and milk jugs so this was right up their alley. I want to do the water painting on rocks/concrete during the summer.

Photobucket

Thursday through Saturday I drove into downtown Phoenix each morning for the dental convention, sitting in lectures to gather continuing education credits for my hygiene license. Phil played Mr. Mom and I must say he is very good at it! One day I came home and the kids were napping and he had done all the laundry, the floors and the house was spotless! He even made spaghetti sauce one day. 

Saturday we met Jared and Andrea and their cute boys at the Scottsdale Train Park for a picnic dinner and play time. Caleb was the sweetest and helped watch over Max and Kate. 

Max clearly thinks Caleb is hilarious. I like to think that Camden would have been the same way with the kids. Caleb and Camden would have been only 3 months apart and I am sure the best of buds.

Photobucket

Kate found a candy wrapper and proceeded to eat it. I'm a good mom and let her. 

Photobucket

We rode the little train and Max loved it. Kate was more timid and stood between my legs the entire time looking like this. Neither of them cared for the carousel, it was a bit scary and was really fast.

Photobucket

Proof I was here!

Photobucket

After the train we went to the park area and let the kids loose. Kate loved the sand and proceeded to put it in every crevice. 

Photobucket

Max lives for the slides. He climbs up all by himself and with this one he was able to do everything on his own. He went countless times. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

We also enjoyed plenty of lounging and daddy time. I love this picture. 

Photobucket

One week wasn't long enough. The countdown is on until summer break; three whole months of Phil being home!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I feel like the last time there was good solid kid post was when they were just starting to walk. I'm certain that's not true but this is such a huge jump in my mind! Even though your kiddos were born before my youngest (she is days short of 16 months), I always think of them as younger... I'm not sure why. So this post shocked me. They're BIG! They're running, sliding, sand-throwing (as are all) toddlers! They're so sweet and smiley and I love this post! :)

Looking forward to spring break as well. Just 2 weekends of clinicals in Phoenix and then we'll be in the middle of spring break also.

Just to make this longer, we're going to the children's museum on Friday so I'm glad to see your kiddos enjoyed it. I know Gwenna will but I was iffy about Meredith.

You'll make it to summer. You can do it!! Somehow, it doesn't seem that far away... to me at least.

Amy said...

Oh this was such a sweet post! Love the pictures, love the fun, love the family time. So cute. I can't wait till summer break either. We get to move!!

Julie said...

You guys definitely made the best of not being able to go up north! Your pictures are amazing...as always. I'm glad you were able to relax and have daddy time! Monday came way too fast!

Nate and Lori said...

SOOOO jealous that you guys are wearing shorts and short sleeve t's. Meanwhile I continue to bundle Reese up every single day.

What a wonderful week you guys had! It is so fun to just have family time doing simple things. I can belive how big Max looks all of the sudden. It might be the hair, but he looks so old. They are groing up too fast!

3 months of hubby home...dream come true!

Unknown said...

Heaven for sure...having your daddy home with 2 one year olds, and a preggo Mommy sounds dreamy...loved reading about all the adventures

The Price Family said...

Your family is so adorable! They are all so beautiful. Sounds like you guys had a fun break together. That is always much needed, just time to be together. You look fab girl!