Saturday, October 23, 2010

Running for my life

Photobucket

The kids & I after our morning run, 10.23.2010 
"Um, mom? Why are you so smelly and red?"

Phil left us again this morning. Sigh. I just want my husband back, at least on the weekends. Yesterday he studied for over 18 hours. Yes, 18 HOURS! I miss him. We all do and I know he misses us.

I have been struggling a bit lately. I miss home. I miss my friends. I miss social contact. I have met some lovely ladies here and I have one good friend J'lene that we see each other more often than I see the other sweet girls. But even then sometimes it is not enough. Long days of solitude have been wearing on me. I can easily slip into a funk if I am not careful. Part of that lends itself to eating like a garbage can, loafing around like a slug and then neglecting my body which further feeds into self-pity. Not good.

So, since I have a race (5k) to run in oh, 8 weeks, I figure it is past time I get serious. I laced up my new running shoes and we hit the road. I am proud to say that I ran 1.68 miles without stopping! A small distance it may seem but I am happy that I did it all the way through, I felt fantastic and probably could have gone longer. Baby steps. Thank you to the marathon man who clapped for me as he passed me on the road. Just the boost I needed and it made me smile.

It's amazing how when I exercise I immediately have a kinder outlook on my self, I feel stronger, leaner, smarter. In reality nothing has changed dramatically after a 20 minute run but everyone benefits so why don't I do it consistently? I have eaten clean today and with my run behind me I am going to use that momentum to keep it a good day. I know that exercise and healthy eating are critical to a positive outlook on my life and the reality that is medical school and being a grad-school widow. Now, let's keep it up.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you heather! i've been wanting to do the same- for basically the same reasons (except the marathon thing) and i'm just not there yet. you have motivated me though so here's to a new week full of new opportunities to treat ourselves good!

Andrea Gunnell said...

I think we all get in the "stay at home Mom" rut every once in a while. Compact that with husbands that never come since they are preparing to provide for our families and it can get really hard to get ourselves out of those ruts. It's a constant mental battle. I'm glad you are getting out and running. 1.68 miles is awesome especially considering you are pushing two little ones along. I have been exercising so much more now that the weather is nice and it makes me feel SO much better! Wish we could be exercising buddies...that would be fun!

Kelly said...

Holy Moley lady, that post could have been written just for me. I know how you feel - Ted hasn't quite hit 18 hours of studying in 1 day but we do the 6 am - 9 pm game and that's tough... poor kiddos barely see him on those days. It will be worth it, right??? Right! The SAHM/practically single mom blues stink but you're doing SO great!

Hulse Family said...

Wow, you are supermom! I have been in that same "funk!" I think it is the gloomy skies out here! Here is to a new week and new goals!

Unknown said...

1.68 miles? You have me beat by 1.67 miles! Can't wait to see you next week! Call me whenever you want, because you know I feel just. like. you. Love you Heather!!!!!

Brian and Janette said...

Exercise has been my go-to man since becoming a SAHM. I mean, I always did it before having children, but I didn't know how much I would NEED it after having a baby. It is my time to pause, reflect and do something for me for a second. And that time ends up giving me more time and energy to give back to my family. It's a gift that keeps on giving and you are absolutely correct in saying that you feel better in ALL WAYS just by one simple act. So proud of you! If you ever need any running advice/tips, I would be more than happy to talk shop with you. Keep it up!

Marilyn said...

I so admire people that can run long distances. I used to dream that I could run and run and run, but for whatever reason I always end up with either shin splints, or feel like I can't breathe. Maybe in my next life...

Nate and Lori said...

If you ran 1.68miles with a jogging stroller then that is the equivalent of about 18 miles without one. Seriously...those things are so hard to push. And I'm only used to having one baby in mine. Once I stopped running with the jogger, I suddenly felt so much faster! As much as I fight running, it really does make a HUGE difference! Hang in there with Phil being gone...and you can always message me if you need someone to talk to.

Btw...the picture is so funny...I love how your kids are staring at you.