Saturday, July 24, 2010

California 2010

Last weekend we packed up half our house (or so it seems) and made the five hour trek to visit Stephanie, Phil's lovely sister who is lucky enough to have made her home in California.

This was the farthest we have travelled with Max & Kate and we wisely left at their bedtime, seven o'clock. It means a weary Phil as the sole driver but it is worth the peace and quiet and minimal mom guilt I feel.

The kids did well and only Max seems to complain. But then again, I'd complain too if I was strapped tightly into a hard seat for five hours and every time I fell asleep my head bobbled and I just couldn't get comfortable. Our bums were very happy to get out of the truck when we pulled up to Steph's house at midnight.

We soaked up the glorious cooler weather and enjoyed some mighty fine company. Stephanie & I had a girls' night and saw Inception, Phil & I had two (2!) dates; goofy golfing & frozen yogurt and then a nice lunch that we ate outside at a park. We drove the hour to LA to go to the Fashion district and upon arrival decided to ditch that idea. Double-wide stroller, small crowded inner-city shopping with smokers left and right and wee babes just didn't mesh well. Stephanie was a good sport with our wishy-washiness and took us to the Santa Monica Pier instead. Bless her.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Kate rockin' some awesome hair.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The only pictures we took was on our beach day. It was such a nice day, overcast and cool. We walked the pier, enjoyed the breeze and I had brief nightmares of my children falling into the ocean and later that night my imagination launched into overdrive as I played out various horrific scenarios of children lost to the sea. Am I the only crazy mother who thinks of these things? Phil & Steph thought so.

I also had the immense pleasure of having a family session with these handsome mugs:

Photobucket

More to come on the new photography blog soon.

We had a great get away. Stephanie was the perfect host, her sweet boy shared his toys and had fun with the babes and we are still dreaming of cooler weather.

7 comments:

Leah said...

Heather....what a fun time! Can't wait to see all the pics...good for you for going road trippin...can't wait to see the photography blog
call me so we can chat!

Unknown said...

We LOVED having you here! Can't wait to do it again. Next time I'll be in the AZ with you canning. :)

Jennifer said...

Love Kate's hair! I'm glad to see my hair is not the only one affected by the humidity.

Brittney Blount said...

#1 I want your stroller. I have a single bob and LOVE it! I just wish the doubles weren't so expensive.

#2 I would have had Randy drop me off at the fashion district and had him take the kids! Haha!!! Not kidding!

Kathryn said...

Um, no, you are not the only one who thinks of horrific accidents. I do it all the time. Like, if we fall off the road into the canal, how do I get all four unbuckled, and two non swimmers to the surface in time? Why do you think I don't walk close to the big water ways with my double stroller?

Nate and Lori said...

Oh I'm so glad that you were able to get away before school starts. Road trips with babies are sure interesting. The packing in itself is an adventure. I don't really know how people do it when they have more than one child.

And I am in love with the fashion district. I mean, its yucky and you feel like you are in Mexico or something but I LOVE going to the fabric distric. I probably would never take Nate and Reese though so I don't blame you.

I'm excited to see the launch of your new photo website!

Terina said...

YAY for getaways! We left at bed time when we went to CA too! There and back. On the way home I woke up from my half sleep every time Brent changed lanes and hut the lane markers! I was more then a little paranoid. I had visions of us all dying in a fiery blaze because Brent fell asleep (not quite lost at sea but you're not alone)