Life around here is pretty much status quo. We eat, sleep, poop and repeat. Throw in a bit of fussing, some tears and drama when diapers are changed, lots of cuddling, loving frustration in the middle of the night when all you want is sleep and you get our life. We love it. We really do.
They are changing so fast. It is rather unfair. This time passes so quickly and it is all a blur since you are functioning on auto pilot tending to the necessities of newborn care and trying to keep up. Max is now 6 pounds and Kate 5 1/2 pounds as far as I can tell by weighing them with me on our home scale.
I am still pumping and the three of us are learning to nurse. It requires great patience on my part and perseverance. We. will. succeed. I am determined. That being said, the kids have made great progress, especially Kate. Where she used to sit at my breast (yes, I said it) and just dilly dally there not knowing what to do, how to latch or promptly fall asleep, she now latches and can nurse when she wants to or is patient enough to get things moving. Slooowly but surely. Max nurses like a champ and has saved me twice now with clogged ducts that my pump could not remove. Bless him. Somedays I feel like a rock star with the success of our few nursing sessions throughout the day and others when nothing seems to go right or Max downs a whole 2 ounce bottle after nursing on me for 20 minutes I wonder why the crap I seem to bother and what the heck was he doing on there the whole time? Sigh. This is hard. Probably the hardest part of this whole motherhood thing right now.
We are dealing with one fussy Kate in the evening hours and a certain father gets rather tired of her shenanigans in the wee hours of his shift. Phil is a sport, taking his nightly shift and managing the two kids with ease, albeit with the loving impatience that only sleep deprivation can bring. Then he goes to work after 5ish hours of sleep and keeps our household afloat with his financial winnings. We love him.
I am doing well. Caring for two little beings can be taxing and I already feel the mommy guilt when both children need me at the same time but I am only able to take care of one at a time in certain situations. With my pumping to maintain supply and practicing nursing, feeding bottles at other times it really is round the clock care with perhaps an hour downtime where I can catch a nap, just enough time to fall deep asleep and then wake up to some demanding hungry children. Love it.
My mom has been here helping and we greatly appreciate her. She helps with baby holding, feeding, changing, etc. She has washed countless loads of laundry and gets up in the night with us. She has been a gem.
Kate is fussing now, Phil is losing patience, my pumping session is nearing its end and intervention may be required. :)
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
It's funny because I remember all of this with Douglas. I mean, it's a lot harder with two, but you experience a lot of the same emotions. But let me tell you - it does go by quickly. When these two sweet hearts are rascal toddlers, you are going to look back and miss this time. Cherish it and for heavens sakes, call me if you need help ! You know I am all about holding sweet little babies : )
Oh I remember those times! I am jealous of you and yet glad I am not doing it again all at the same time. Yay for twins!
You are doing such a wonderful job Heather. Seriously...I feel like all I do is feed a baby all day long too and I only have one. Phil sounds like he is fantastic, but I think that us moms are given an extra dose of patience that the dads don't always have. It really is bittersweet to see them grow up though, isn't it? On one hand, I'm so sad that my teensy tiny baby is getting chubbier each day and becoming less of a newborn, and then on the other hand, I can't wait for the future.
I don't know all of what you have tried with Kate and nursing and I really don't want to give any advice if you don't want/need it because that is the WORST. But...if you want to know what worked for me, let me know. Reese seemed to do the same sort of thing at first.
Been there. Wait it was last night:) Just not with two! You definitely have your hands full, but isn't it so much fun?!
Heather, you and Phil are champs! The sleepless nights, the fussy times, and now I know why us older folks don't have babies. However, now that I am older, I have a ton more patience than I did. So with that said, let me know when you and Phil want to attend the temple or do a date night cause we would love to watch the twins.
Bless good mothers! I'm glad your mom has been able to be there with you to help...and to enjoy her grandbabies of course! With the rate that the twins' are gaining weight, I'd say that your feeding session are rather successful! Keep it up...you'll all get the hang of it and it will become one of your most favorite parts of the whole mothering thing.
Hang in there Heather, I'm sure things will get (somewhat) easier when they are older!! I'm sorry about the clogged milk ducts, I got those ALL the time with Macey and it drove me crazy because they hurt SO bad!!
I have been thinking about you a lot lately. I keep thinking I should call and see how you're doing but I'm always worried that I might wake you up from some precious sleep. Let me know if you need anything. I would love to help out in any way!
When I was pregnant with Lucy and Elsa, Ryan and I saw one of those wood letter thingies that said "BLESSINGS." We felt it might be good to have that as an accent piece in the babies' room. Just a little reminder during those late nights.
Hang in there.
Oh this time passes so fast and you will forget all the lack of sleep just in time to have another. I'm so glad you all are doing well and they are thriving so much.
Bless you. Mother of TWINS. Double the blessings? YES. Double the work? Absolutely!
Hang in there!!!! We can only do our best. Let go of the guilt!
Post a Comment