Saturday, November 7, 2009

Dear Kate & Max,

It is 1:39 in the morning. You woke at 1:00am to eat. I am tired, oh. so. tired. Bleary-eyed I stumble to the fridge to get your bottles and I don't bother to warm them up as warm milk apparently is a sedative. I want you to eat your full meal so you will then sleep, your full sleep, no snacking. Sorry, it was cold. Necessary.

Today, November 7th, is your due date. I never anticipated us making it this far in utero but it is a milestone nonetheless. Today you are considered full term, you are supposed to know how to breastfeed and we are to treat you as newborns, not the 8 weeks old you are. We have been through so much together this past 8 weeks and your father and I are better for it. Tired but better for it and happy about it. So happy.

The past 8 weeks of our life have been full of anxiety, worry, stress, immense happiness, joy and overwhelming love. Our lives are fuller with you in them. How far you have come! You are both getting chubs; cute cheeks are filling out and double chins are evident and just a hint of inner thigh chub is waiting to be pinched at diaper changes. You are close to doubling your birth weight!

We are so glad you are here and love you to pieces. You were worth the wait.

Hugs and kisses,

Mom

8 comments:

Andrea Gunnell said...

I'm sure you are exhausted. Motherhood is such an amazing journey! It's incredible the things our children teach us. Keep up the good work, I'm positive you are one amazing mother!

Kelly said...

Thanks for this, Heather. I'm so in limbo right now, wanting my little girl to be born, wanting her to not be born yet so she can get bigger... it's a tough road, no? But it's So worth it. Thanks for the reminder :)

Kami Milliron said...

Yup, being tired is part of the experience ! But looking back, I realize that it wasn't that bad and that I would do it again in a heartbeat. You will look back on this time and miss those one on one moments with your precious littles in the middle of the night. I promise : ) And with that, also remember that this phase passes quickly and you will be back to sleeping 6 - 7 hours a night in no time. But don't count on that glorious 8 - 10 hours you used to get. You will never get that back !

Kristi said...

Love it, love it, love it! I'm so happy you're enjoying mommyhood despite the bleary-eyed tiredness. Could you use some help this weekend? Cooking, cleaning, baby holding?

Marisa said...

We are so so so happy for you guys! We always are looking for fun babies to hold :) Mark and I volunteer.... Anytime!

Candace said...

I'm totally with you on COLD bottles at night!! FINISH that milk so your belly will be FULL for a long time! :) Hang in there!!!!!

Cortney said...

Loved this letter. I am so excited to hear that they will have pinchable, oh so adorable, baby chub! That is the ultimate best! I really need to come over and see them and give you hugs and a breather.

Text me and let me know what your days are looking like. Hang in there with the sleeplessness...you are an AMAZING mama!

Cortney said...

Loved this letter. I am so excited to hear that they will have pinchable, oh so adorable, baby chub! That is the ultimate best! I really need to come over and see them and give you hugs and a breather.

Text me and let me know what your days are looking like. Hang in there with the sleeplessness...you are an AMAZING mama!