Friday, April 24, 2009
April Twenty-Fourth
Dearest Camden,
Time flies. And it is cruel that time fades details, senses and feelings.
3 years ago today you were born. 3 days later you left. Cruel. But necessary.
I prepared myself to open up the tote that holds all things Camden. To immerse myself in the details, refresh the sweet feelings that occupy my heart. I awoke early this morning and began to do just that. I removed the 2 bins on top of yours in the office closet, slowly opened the lid and let my gaze wander over the contents. Soft and fluffy blankets from numerous friends and family, onesies from an aunt that were never worn, hospital bracelets, nursing pads, newborn diapers, the list goes on.
I pulled them out one by one. I smelled the blankets for a trace of your scent but you were long gone. In a clear hospital bag near the bottom I found cut ID bracelets with "Baby Boy Gunnell" and the doctor's name. One for me and one for you. There was the blue suction bulb that your father used tirelessly to clear your airways when we brought you to my hospital room to die. His attempts were futile and heart-breaking to watch. Near the end I asked him to let you be, just let you go in peace.
There is a small container holding sweet clippings of your downy soft brown hair. I opened it but just looked, I didn't want to disturb one piece. There is the hospital binkie that looked so big on your little face but is so small. Also in the bag is a small black puppy, donated by some caring soul and it resided in your isolette with you. Cards from family and the hospital staff offering condolences and caring words. A beautiful gift from a stranger who heard our story, a pair of pristine white booties, hand crocheted and delivered by a ward member who loves us.
Tears began to fall, my glasses catching the drops. I stopped and put the contents back in the container. I wanted to share this with your father, so tonight, after we visit your grave we will spend some time honoring you, refreshing our reserves and our memories of you.
I remember. I remember the pain, the joy, the heartache and the journey. I remember you. I love you and cannot wait for our reunion.
Love, Mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

19 comments:
what beautiful words and sweet memories of your dear Camden.
Happy Birthday Camden. What an amazing post. Thank you for sharing something so beautiful.
Beautiful and Sweet. Hope the day was special for you.... Praying for you guys.
Wishing you peace today as you remember Camden.
Happy Birthday, Little Camden.
What wonderful parents you were sent to!
What a sweet tribute to your darling Camden.
Tears, finally I'm not sitting in front of you as we have talked about this, this weekend. Now I can cry. I wanted to in the car and on the couch. I love you Heather and think of your strength often. Happy Birthday Camden!
Dear sweet Camden. We all love him and miss him. What a wonderful tribute to him.
thanks for the invite to view your blog. :) what a tender tribute to your sweet camden. We were almost 99% that we were going to name our little one kamden but then we decided to go with mason. he will be here wed. c section at 12:30. I think of ya often and wonder how you and phil are doing, now I can blog stock you. j/k. sure love ya! analee
I'm sitting here in tears. Your words are beautiful and elloquent. Thanks for sharing your deepest memories of him. Hope to see you soon!
Beautiful!
Happy Birthday to Camden. What a wonderful peace the gospel brings. You are an amazing person. Your strength is contagious.
Happiest of birthday wishes to Camden. I'm sure he's celebrating the news of siblings this year. You are amazing. Glad you're feeling well...take care!
Beautiful. Happy Birthday. I hope you are doing well. I haven't talked to you in awhile. I hope those babies are doing well and growing big. Talk to you later.
Brings tears to my eyes. What heartache and longing, but such understanding and patience!
happy *late* birthday to your sweet Camden. The letter was beautifully written.
Happy Mother's Day!! I hope you are having a great day. How are the 2 little ones doing inside?? I want an update on how you are feeling and stuff! Choose a day and I will make it work and we can get together.
pictures and letters to Camden are so tender. thanks for sharing them.
and also i miss your blog. ... meaning frequent posting. come back soon.
thank you.
i just gave you a eerily long response to your question... but it's in my comments, not here. sorry about that. i never know where to respond. i don't really check back if i ask a question so i don't know if other people do... anyway, it's there. :)
Post a Comment