Friday, January 23, 2009

Self-Portrait

Yesterday I laced on my running shoes, secured my hair, strapped on my music and headed out the door for my surprising & increasingly regular date with the asphalt. It had rained earlier this morning and the cool overcast weather was perfection. I gingerly started to warm up as my thighs were still in shock from the squats and lunges I inflicted on them Tuesday morning. As I reached the corner it started to sprinkle.

I briefly contemplated returning home as exercise and I are still trying to be friends but decided to forge ahead as it just a sprinkle. I quickened my pace and turned up the tunes. Beyonce encouraged me on, telling me "I'm a survivor, I'm not gon give up, I'm not gon stop, I'm gon work harder".

So I did. I picked up the pace, I worked harder. As did the rain.

I relayed my day to Phil when I got home from work and he guessed that I turned around and came home as the rain continued to come. But I am proud to say I finished my run and found that I am waterproof. Although my shoes and mp3 player would beg to differ.

11 comments:

Brian and Janette said...

Running in the rain is one of my favorite things to do!

Loree said...

you go girl! way to work it :)

Rebecca said...

I'm crazy proud of you! Well done.

Thanks again for your time today. You and Phil are aces!

Rebecca said...

P.S. - Please ignore my posting time. Our talk was not in vain -- I'm going to bed RIGHT now!

Kami Milliron said...

I totally started singing that Survivor song as I was reading this post. I have those same types of songs on my IPod.

And good job on keeping it up and not turning back when it started to rain. There is nothing more satisfying then a GOOD run.

Brian said...

Way to stick with it Heather. I've been training for my first 5K and got doused pretty good the other night during a training run. It felt great to keep going though. The 5K was today, and I reached my goal. The finish line. :)

Nate and Lori said...

Survivor is totally one of my running songs. Yo go girl for running in the rain. Thats great. On another note, did you hear about the kid that was electrocuted in the rain with his ipod? I guess he was mowing hiw lawn too but still, you be careful!

Dents said...

good for you! I find running in the rain quite refreshing. Next time you run in the rain you should wear a cap, it saves your earplugs, and shields your eyes so you don't have to squint ;)

Andrea Gunnell said...

I had to laugh at this post because my friend and I were out walking that morning and as soon as it started to rain a little bit we stopped. I guess we had a good excuse having our kids with us but we wimped out. Good for you, sticking with it!

Taryn and Sterling said...

I had the same experience on Thursday morning. The rain actually made me run a lot harder and faster. I was just trying to get my little Ian out of the rain as I was pushing the jogging stroller. I was half way home when it started raining and looked just like you when I made it home.

Peter and Brittany Merrill said...

Heather,
finally caught up on you guys...congrats on 7 years and Phil's acceptance to med-school! As for your question a while back about where our family pics were shot?... I sincerely don't know! Some office park off of power road? Chris Paxman shot the pics ( a friend from EA and Pinetop)
Best of luck to you guys!