Saturday, December 20, 2008

Sweet

Last night I had the pleasure of hanging out with my 3 nieces, all 6 years old. One was feeling under the weather and we mainly camped out upstairs with her. Coloring, crackers, apple juice and countless episodes of the Smurfs were involved plus a little time with The Beaver.

As the evening progressed I parried with 6 year-old logic and tried to discipline a crafty little one who snuck some bread after we brushed our teeth. She pulled some classic moves, when I discovered the heist I asked what she thought we should do. She looked up at me under her long lashes and meekly offered "Waste it?". She's a smart one, offering to take the high road. Love her. I was trying to be firm and keep the smile out of my eyes. She ate her bread reasoning that it wouldn't hurt her teeth and heaven forbid we waste it.

Phil joined us later in the evening and brought with him his Wall Street Journal. As he completed sections of the paper he placed them on the floor. "S" grabbed the paper and began to "read". This lasted a good 10 minutes and the WSJ is not known for it's pictures.

Deep discussions were had with one who had just lost her tooth, we secured it safely under her pillow and as I was tucking her in she asked me what I thought the Tooth Fairy looked like. I asked her what she thought and she gave a glowing description and snuggled in wondering what she would bring. Sweet innocence. I love how she believes.

Childhood is beautiful and motherhood divine. I can't wait.

6 comments:

therealmccoy said...

What a good Auntie you are - Or, are you the "tooth fairy"?

Brian and Janette said...

Nieces and nephews are so fun...and they make for some good practice material as far as parenting goes. Those three girls are lucky to have you, Aunt Heather!

Marisa said...

Those girls are so sweet. Lucky you got to have some fun with them!

Renee said...

What a wonderful Aunt you are. I bet those kids love you as much as you love them.

Marrdy said...

What a great Aunt you. I love 6 year olds, so sweet and still at that amazing age when anything is possible.

Nate and Lori said...

Me neither! One of these days, right?