Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Food for Thought

Relief this election is over.

Concern for the future; the country's future, my family's future. But hoping & praying for the best, whatever that may be.

Phil & I have serious concerns with medical school and the future of health care. Is it worth us sacrificing 10 years of our life and plunging into considerable debt when we may be taxed to oblivion and have a harder, longer road to secure our personal future, climb out of debt and make an honest living? We have some pondering and praying to do.

On another note, I elected not to pursue the newborn hospital photography gig. I am keeping busy enough as it is and still have my church and family responsibilities, while I would have liked the experience and opportunity for growth I need to focus on our life plans and goals. And I like my life right now, I feel like I have a nice balance. Thanks for your encouragement and support.

How do you feel about our country's future?

16 comments:

Jared Gunnell said...

I don't know if it is the same thing, but when we were at the hospital we were approached for infant pics. It was really annoying because you had to go into this cramped room with screaming kids! Not fun. You definitely would not get the creativeness that you get with what you are doing now.

Cortney said...

I totally hear you on the med school thing...it is very scary to think about the unknown. I sure hope this turns out well, but my gut is not going that way right now! I sure hope that this was a good thing.

The Price Family said...

I am worried for our country's future. I believe that a man was elected to office that is not qualified nor prepared for what is to come his way. I worry about national security, the economy, his health care plan, and so many other things. I worry about the future for my boys and what this country holds for them. I was sick last night as the results started to pop up on the T.V. But I am with you, all we can do is pray, be faithful and true to the Gospel, and raise our children and help them gain strong testimonies. Then we have to let the Lord handle it from there. Love ya!

Katie said...

I don't understand why you are even thinking twice about going to med school. It makes total sense that after you sacrifice so much time, energy and money to earn a nice living that you then give half of what you make to others that didn't do a dang thing to earn it! Ugh! We are not even anywhere near that tax bracket and it still totally urks me to no end! The welfare system is NOT there to live off of! It's to help you thru hard times until you can get back on your feet! Why would anyone want to create and help people to become lazy?! It's beyond me. Sorry I unloaded on here.

Andrea Gunnell said...

I am grateful this election is over also. I have to admit that I am VERY worried and concerned also. Everything about Obama scares me! I'm concerned about what will happen with our health care system, and I'm and our taxes. We are told to have faith and not be afraid but it's hard when there is so much to be concerned about.

Marilyn said...

It's a scary thing to go into medical school and get into debt. It's too bad it is so expensive. I am not too happy with the presidential outcome. Obama scares me!

Nate and Lori said...

I"m freaked out. I never quite realized just how bad the welfare system was until I moved to Baltimore. All of the mormon dental students that we know out here live off of the govenment. A family of 2 adults and 1 baby can get $500 a month in food stamps and can buy pretty much anything they would like. On top of that they can get as much from the WIC program as well. Not to mention the free medical insurance, preschool, grants and whatever else... Meanwhile, they are wearing all designer clothes, buying new cars, flat screens, you name it. Then there is me and Nate...working our little butts off and can't afford half of the crap that they have.

How the heck does Obama think that this country will be able to provide college for everyone, healthcare for everyone, etc...without raising taxes.

So yeah, we're pretty bummed about the election here.

therealmccoy said...

Heather, I love hearing that you "like your life right now"... it made me ask myself if I feel the same.

I think it's important that we take out general authorities advise from conference and "not to be afraid and teach our children not to be afraid"... easier said then done, but that's my approach to the future.

Marrdy said...

I hope youa re able to reconcile your concerns about your medical school future.

The future of this country is indeed scary. I keep thinking, it can't get worse, it has to get better. I guess only time will tell.

Taryn and Sterling said...

I am so glad the election is over as well. Too bad it didn't go the way we had hoped. Driving home today I was thinking about quitting my job, would you and Phil support us if we went on welfare? Thanks, that would be great. I think you should still pursue your dreams, despite who may end up with your money.

Kelly said...

i'm hopeful. i was not an obama supporter but he's now my president and i'm hopeful that we can come together as a nation and make some wrong things right. so, i'm hopeful, a little leary, and prayerful.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kelly. Now that Obama is our president, I believe it's our job to support him both in word and deed. He can certainly use all the prayers of the saints during what has to be one of the most difficult times our nation has faced. If we truly believe that this is a chosen land, and that our Father in Heaven watches over it, than we must also believe that this is part of his plan. Now it just comes down to a question of faith.

Marisa said...

It is hard to accept a man as commander of our free land when we struggle to believe in him. All we can do it pray that he will somehow get the inspiration to do what this country needs. Lucky for us, the president does not have sole power in all decisions that impact the country. The scary thing is... can this country get much worse? Hopefully he will surprise us all.

Christi said...

Ugg, I don't want to get into it. Maybe Obama will prove me wrong and be great, who knows? But at least prop 102 passed!!

Dae said...

A wolf in sheep's clothing! The man is a smooth talker. I think things will appear to get better for a short time & then it will all come crashing down.

My aunt said something that made me see this all a little differently. We are living in the last days & we have to get to the end somehow. And we have to have evil men in power in order to get there. It makes a lot sense. It still makes me nervous & worried for our future, but as Patrick mentioned, this is part of God's plan. So I guess we all just continue to prepare as best we can.

Dents said...

It is concerning, what is the future of health care? socialized medicine? We are taxed at an insane amount, more than we thought possible!!! But Phil doesn't want to be a dr just for $ right? We can still make our student loan payments :)