Sunday, October 19, 2008

For Journaling Purposes



Saturday we attended the temple with some good friends Melody & Johnny. We drove separately because I wanted to hit the camera shop afterward to purchase a new lens. We enter the temple juggling our things, among them the car keys. Phil usually hands them off to me for safekeeping. We paused in the doorway and each of us thought to ourselves that I should take the keys. We both ignored that lovely little thought. Phil took the keys and we each went our separate ways to change.

Waiting for the session to begin a very attractive young woman walks in and takes her place, I personally note her beauty and Phil leans over to me and says "she would be perfect for Kevin" (one of our best friends). I dismiss his crazy thought, since really, we don't know her or her situation. We had a nice session, walking back towards the locker room Phil tells me I need to talk to this girl for Kevin and get her number. I am flabbergasted and protest profusely. He is very stern and adamant that if I see her I need to get her number. I jokingly ask if he is inspired and he replies yes. Great, now I have to ask her. We returned back to the locker room to change.
I am nervous. I don't see her anywhere. As I am folding my clothes she emerges from her changing area. I quickly dart a glance in her direction, the butterflies in a frenzy. I quickly inform my friend of the situation and she cheers me on, giving me the courage I need to approach her.

I do it! Ahhhh! I actually walk up to this pretty girl and ask if she is single, dating anyone and interested in going on a blind date with our good friend. She shyly replies yes, she is single, no, not dating anyone and yes, she is open to a complete stranger approaching her in the temple asking for her number. Success! I have never felt so awkward in my life. I return to Phil triumphant.

We exit the temple, walking towards our cars. Phil starts looking for the keys.

"Do you have them?" he asks me.
"No." I reply. "You kept them."

We stop dead in our tracks and I conduct a pat down of Phil's extremities and pockets while he digs deep in his temple case for the elusive keys. Nothing.

He and Johnny return to the temple to search inside while Melody & I shoot the breeze in the hotness of Arizona mid-October. After a time the boys return. Empty-handed.

Frustration abounds. Long story short: We hitch a ride home with our friends, hire a locksmith to effortlessly "break-in" (scary actually how easy it was), order a new key for my car, pick up the car and yes still make it to the camera store for me to buy a new lens. (Pics posted soon with my new beauty.)

Crazy day and Phil & I both committed to me being the safe keeper of future keys. As of today our keys are still MIA, probably sitting patiently in the temple waiting to be found. Come home keys! Come Home!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

what if something comes of the mystery girl and kevin? whoa, talk about inspiration!

as for the keys... that sucks. i hope they turn up. weird.

Lauren Porter said...

It's Lauren your old hairdresser! I am sorry you never found your keys but am glad that he had to go back to find them do that you would be standing outside the temple so we could catch up. Shoot me an email and then I will send you an invite to my blog!!
laurenwalters@aol.com

Unknown said...

Um you found a girl for Kevin???? This was TRULY inspiration. Im glad you acted on it heather! :) I can't wait to hear the ending of that story! Oh yeah, sorry about the keys.

Wendy said...

You MUST do a follow-up to the mystery girl story. :)

Christi said...

Uggh! I hate when that happens!!

Leah said...

Bummer about the keys...yay about the lens! Which one did you get?? Can't wait to hear!

Maren said...

sorry about your keys but i cant wait to hear how the date goes or if it really happens. what if they get married? he really was inspired! : )

Andrea Gunnell said...

Now you've definitely got us all curious about what's going to happen with this mystery girl. Hopefully Kevin will go on a date with her!
I'm so excited to see pictures with your new lens. So fun!!!

Loree said...

ooh, i like all these comments! i hope the keys turn out and i want to know about this mystery girl too, but first, who is kevin? :)a brother i am guessing? i can;t wait to find out more :)

Heather said...

Sorry, Kevin is our very good friend. Our very good & still very, very single friend.

Katie said...

Who's Kevin? I hope you let us know if something comes of this girl and him! Sorry about your keys.

Miss Niss said...

well i'm glad that craig was able to help you guys out!! and SO TOTALLY weird about the girl in the temple! that really cracks me up!!

Kerry said...

What new lens did ya get?!?!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kerry; what lens did you get? Also, I'm in the market for a DSLR and am curious how you made the choice to go with Nikon. I have several friends who are photographers, some of whom shoot Nikon, and the others Canon. It seems that the debate between these brand loyalists never ends. I'm personally impressed with both. Right now my choice is coming down to three options; Canon 50D, Canon 5D Mk II, or the Nikon D300. I really like your work, and would appreciate your thoughts. I don't know if you would consider this topic in harmony with the tone of your blog, but it might make a great post. Either way, keep up the great work (blog/photography). -Patrick

Kim said...

You will have to let us know how it goes with Kevin. Sorry about your keys, I also would be a little freaked out to see how easy it is for someone to break into your house. See Ya in a couple of days!!!

Marrdy said...

I agree. Follow up on mystery temple girl is a must!

Nate and Lori said...

Ugh...my husband always loses things. It makes me crazy. At our house we say that the uterus must be a honing device because Nate loses things and I always find them. I'll keep my fingers that you find the keys.

melissa said...

oh I would love for Kevin to find a lovely bride....here's to following inspiration!