Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Revelation of sorts

(Got my game face on)

My satisfaction with work varies constantly throughout the day, as does yours I'm sure, mine directly correlates with the people I see. I look over my schedule multiple times a day, skimming over patient's names, reading through their chart, past notes of previous visits, reading their x-rays, preparing myself for a mouth I have forgotten or haven't seen before. Sometimes the notes spill forth a plethora of information, other times they leave no hint of what's to come. I like the former, chart notes that are succinct and detailed, painting a clear picture of the state of disarray and disease.

My day on Tuesday included a patient that had not been to the dentist in over 20 years. His chart notes indicated that he reports brushing 1x/week! Once a week!? Gasp! The hygienist who was lucky enough to see him the week before diagnosed him needing a deep scaling and root planing, bring on the nitty gritty! This is when we as hygienists whip out the big guns and get down and dirty. (It is fun! Sick but fun and satisfying.)

Here's the kicker. The front desk informs me he only wants a "cleaning", none of this dig down and deep rehab stuff. This is a problem folks. Legally and ethically I am bound to perform what he needs not what he wants. If I just do a regular "above the gums" cleaning (the happy easy polish one) I am neglecting the underlying disease and he will continue to get worse. The doctor and I concur that I will reassess and make my own diagnosis and perform at the very least a gross debridement (think deeper than a regular cleaning but not the full monty). The front desk calls the patient and informs him of our decision, he will be in at 3pm today.

I am nervous. I hate confrontation and the front desk reports he already has his panties in a wad since he didn't get his "cleaning" and the hygienist who saw him earlier was just a temp. Great, off to a good start. The gentleman comes in with his biker-esque attire, long scraggly beard that has a pony at the end of it and reeks of his most recent cigarette, which he informs me he just put out. How kind of him, since I will be occupying the vessel he just polluted with toxic smoke. How very thoughtful.

We begin the reassessment and I find that I can perform the necessary procedure in the hour we have together. I then launch into full super hygienist mode. I educate him extensively on the conditions of his mouth, what has caused his diseased mouth-even going into the microbiology happenings. I bravely ask why he chooses to brush only once a week. He replies that he has never had a problem (ie: cavity) and figures he doesn't want to "risk" upsetting this so called balance by brushing more. I get him to see things my way and convince him that he is not doing himself any favors by only brushing once a week.

He responds so well! Turns out he is an awesome patient and very enthusiastically embraces my bossy doctrine. He delights in my supreme "digging" skills as he incredulously remarks during the procedure that I "am even cleaning behind the teeth?" and "Wow, you really get in there!".

We part ways with him thanking me for my time and glorious skills. I find myself very satisfied at the moment. Today my job rocks. And I am good at it.

The old adage holds still. Don't judge a book (mouth) by it's cover, even if it reeks of cigs and has a ponytail beard.

12 comments:

Marisa said...

Heather have you ever thought about writing a book? Something titles "Confessions of A Dental Hygenist" or soemthing much more catchy? It would be incredibly entertaining. I would buy one :)

Brian and Janette said...

It is so funny to me how similar our opinions are about our work...even though I work in a different aspect of health care. My work can provide me with some of my most frustrating and my most rewarding days. I think I have a love-hate relationship with work...and the people that it consistently brings across my path. I know, I know...I'm still working on that "love everyone" part... "So, basically you came to the ER today because you have athlete's foot and after two days of putting cream on it, it hasn't magically disappeared? And, it was worth calling the ambulance for? Oh...I see the EMERGENCY in that!" True story!

Christi said...

I don't know HOW you do it Heather!! But I'm glad you do and that you're super at it! Hey, so maybe next Friday? Hopefully Cortney can hold out on the baby until then...

Anonymous said...

You go girl!! I love it when I get a new patient that I get to really go to town on and even better if they are receptive to my wealth of information. I think that is why I like perio the patients mostly enjoy the deep scale, plus most of them are seen every 3 months therefore they are pretty healthy. You definitely did right by that patient and it is great that he appreciated it!

Nate and Lori said...

I could smell your patient while I was reading that. Ick.

I agree. Someday I think, I could do this for the rest of my life. I don't think I ever want to quit. I love my patients and I love the social aspect of things.

Otherday, I think, how the heck did I ever decide that I wanted to clean bacteria out of people's mouths for a living...this is as bad as being a garbage man. Worse, really.

Heather said...

Lori, you made me laugh out loud. Ahhh, the sweet smell of perio...NOT! I second all the above. I have those same thoughts, usually several times in the same day. It varies with the patients.

Taryn and Sterling said...

Good job, I can't believe you did that all in an hour, way to go. I am so glad it worked out for you, and he was a receptive patient. I hate it when they don't want to listen or don't care about a word you're preaching. You are great at what you do.

Renee said...

You go girl!!! That made me laugh and as if I was a fly on the wall seeing and smelling your patient. I am glad it turned out all right for you!

Heidi Ann said...

You are a very brave woman! At any during your hour long session was there any gagging? Were you atleast double masked??

Marrdy said...

Way to go! I just went to the dentist, which I really hate. But this guy is so nice and everyone there is great, so my fear is much less now. (And I do brush and floss at least twice a day!!)

I think you should write all these funny things up. You could make yourself a new career.

Sherrilynn said...

That was funny! Hey I would much rather smell cigarette smoke than big time BODY ORDER.

Fowler Farm said...

Way to go Heather Super Hygienist! I am working tomorrow for a few hours and am so excited! I have to SRP's back to back. I miss working sometimes, so it is nice to squeeze in a few hours when I can. Great picture by the way. You look so good. Talk to you later