Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Happenings, or lack thereof.

Things have settled down around here. Phil finished his interviews and we haven't heard from any other schools yet. He feels really good about the way U of A went, both of them. He really fell in love with the downtown Phoenix campus and we are both hopeful for an acceptance there, only 5 more months of waiting to hear from them! He has one more interview with Midwestern University in Glendale at the end of the month but they are really expensive and he already has the acceptance from Nevada, who he would choose over Midwestern so we are probably going to decline this one. Other than that, it has been work as usual.

As you can tell, I have started a photography venture and am excited about the response. Thank you for all of your wonderfully kind words and support. I am anxious to book more shoots and improve my skills. Buying a nice and thoroughly intimidating camera has challenged me and I have enjoyed seeing the results as I continually learn my camera and the concepts of photography, and I have found there is a lot more than "point and shoot" involved!

I hope to be able to build up my business in such a way that we will have some income when Phil is in medical school, no matter where we live. This is more fun and creative than battling the forces of plaque and calculus and will hopefully be more flexible once we have children. I am so looking forward to that time when I get to stay home and be a mother. Since that day is not yet here I need to get myself ready for work, off to battle the world of gingivitis! (Yeah right. More like off to repeat myself over and over and yet never see results from those patients that I labor over. Will it kill you to floss??)

14 comments:

Kelly said...

Heather, if you're in the valley come Christmas time, might you be able to photograph my family? - Like, my whole family, not just our little branch. There's a mom and dad and married sister and 2 unmarried brothers and a sister other than our little clan. I'm thinking of getting my mama family pictures for Christmas. ... I can't guarantee my mom would be happy with an "independent photographer" situation because we're always gone to a cheesy picture place, but I thought I'd check with you in advance. Let me know. Maybe on Christmas Eve... which might not be possible depending on your plans or where you're spending the holiday. It's kinda mean to ask someone to work on Christmas Eve.

Cortney said...

Yay for new adventures! Hey, I wanted you to visit one of my visiting teacher's blogspots. It's the Haught Family and they just lost their little boy last week a few days before his due date. She is having a really hard time and I know that through our experiences she might be able to find some peace. Maybe you could give her some encouraging words??? Sometimes I think we go through experiences, so we in turn can lift others and help them along their way. I dunno...just my thoughts! I hope you're doing great!

Heather K said...

I am looking into a side hobby job and am not sure what to do. It won't pay as much as nursing but would be fun. I get sick of staying up all night and dealing with naughty patients. But it is nice to have a job that will always be there and pays well.

Andrea Gunnell said...

That's a long time to wait to hear a response from UofA! It's nice that Nevada got back so quickly and you can be sure your starting school next fall. Good luck with all of the photography stuff. You'll have to teach me all of the things you are learning.

Renee said...

Whatever path you guys choose will be the right one. I just hope it is the one you want. You take beautiful pictures. I wish I still lived there so you could take some of our family. I am just not very good at it.

Anonymous said...

Lurker here...I stumbled upon your blog looking at hygienists. I am a Heather and a hygienist in a periodontal ofice...I too love photography and just got a pricey and intimidating Nikon D60 that I love. I love when you throw the dental humor in your posts! Good luck with the new business, definitely a lot more fun than plaque and calculus!

Christi said...

Hey, me and Cortney were thinking of hanging out on Friday, are you free?

Nate and Lori said...

Ah the waiting game...thats rough.

Try pedo...much more fulfilling and even though those kids don't brush, its not nearly as disgusting as the adults. You are so smart to do the photography. Maybe when it works out for you then I can prove to my husband that I can do it too. I don't think he has a lot of faith in me for now.

Marrdy said...

Best of luck with U of A. Hopefully they will get back to you a little sooner!

And good luck with your new venture. Like I said I wished I lived closer so you could take on my daughter!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new business venture. I checked out your site. You do great work! I'm sure you'll get lots of takers based on your growing portfolio. Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I meant to ask you, which DSLR did you go with?

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather...thanks for the comment. A D300...whoa now that is a camera! I can't even figure out all the settings on the D60. About the perio....I love it...I spent 3 years in general and then had my son, took a year off then back to a different general office for 2 years until I had my daughter. After staying home with Emma for a year I thought I would try a specialty and what a blessing. I only work 2 days a week and I think that makes a huge difference. My patients have generally become the world's best patients as they learned the hard way about what not flossing can do...so they work really hard. Anyway best of luck with the new venture and hopefully the mommy hood venture again. I have read your entire blog and all about your sweet Camden and I admire your strength and wish you all the luck in the future for more beautiful babies!

Heather said...

Patrick, I have the Nikon D300. Monster that it is and I am still learning it. But it is fun! Thanks for stopping by.

Christi said...

How about Tuesday? I'm not sure what days you work, so if that doesn't work any other day next week should be good (except Monday)