Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chicken Little

I am feeling a little sheepish, a bit Chicken Little-ish, and since I am going down this barnyard road last night I was feeling piggish and perhaps approaching cow-dom since I ate too much for dinner and was still feeling the effects as I went to bed around 10:30. Any who...

I was so torn up about going private, I really didn't want to. Phil in his hasty reaction wanted me to switch asap, he followed me in to the computer room and watched me write the post (he sounds rather Nazi-like but it's not that way). I should have waited, should have worked on him a bit, expressing my angst and sadness.

Blogging is so fun to me. I am insatiably curious about other people and I know you all are too, otherwise this blogging phenomenon would not exist. Blogging and blog hopping is people watching at it's finest, all in the comfort of your own home, without the uncomfortable, awkward staring and eye averting. I get that. Because I do it to. I stumble across blogs and find some I truly love and bookmark them and get to know these people vicariously through their blog. Scary? Perhaps. I believe people post as much as they want other's to know, and in my case I am pretty much an open book (though I do keep some things private, believe it or not).

Last night as we were laying in bed and I was tossing and turning due to heartburn and heart ache over going private I expressed my feelings to Phil. He at first didn't understand. But I persisted, carefully wording my emotions and explaining that I people watch all the time and I am harmless. I am sure you are to. I know most of you who visit my site, the rest of you know someone who I know or are just people watching. And I am okay with that. I would love to get to know all of you! We can be blogging buddies, since I know most of the blogs I "people watch" on I feel like we would be friends if we met in real life.

So, in a word. Victory.

I apologize for the false alarm. "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

"Heather's going private! Heather's going private!"

Not anymore. Thank you Phil.

PS: I did just get an annoying spammer comment which I have already deleted. So this means now I have to add the dang handicap guy word verification, which I hate. Dang it.

25 comments:

Marisa said...

I have also fought that fight. And won recently. It is a hard decision, but I agree with everything you have said. Congrats on your victory :)

Crissybug said...

Yay! Going private would not have been fun! It is nice that Phil understands.

Christi said...

Yeah Heather! I am so excited!! I do know that your blog is so amazing and inspiring to other people! I have a couple of friends who read your blog and tell me how funny and inspiring it is! But I already knew that...

P.S. I just read my comment on your PRIVATE post, I hope it didn't sound too harsh, I don't HATE my private friends, I don't hate anyone! I just think I meant to say, I hate the situation, not the person!!

Kelly said...

oh, so you're not going private? then consider that note between humanities and seminary revoked. revoked i say! ... it's ok to have word verification. it's better than spam comments. a lot better. unless they end with the phrase "a hug."

Heather said...

Yes, they did end the spam with "a hug" and congratulated me on a nice blog. At least the spammers are nice and polite but probably live in some remote 3rd world country. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Katie said...

well, since i'm a couple of days behind...i would have asked to be added! i stuggle with it too. i don't want too, but then if i did there wouldn't be any what if's...for now, we are an open book too.

Marrdy said...

I am so glad you decided to not go private. I found your blog by searching for Trisomy 13 and I too have found your blog inspiring. (guess I really am a blog stalker!) Thanks for sharing your life...you really are an amazing woman!

Meredith Ferrin said...

I'm glad you aren't going private, I mostly lurk, but I love your recipes and have made many of them. I am actually in Wendy and Steve's ward so I kinda know ya!!

Heather said...

Welcome Mere and Marrdy. Fun to have new people and I am glad you have "gone public". :)

Verna said...

When I read this post I thot" that is just how I feel!" I haven't got a clue how I got onto your blog, but I enjoy bloghopping and when I come across ones that enspire me or people that need prayer, I add them to my favorites.
I to had some wierd comments, how does the word verification stop that?

Heather K said...

I was so glad I found your blog and wish more old SD buddies would start blogging so we could all keep in touch better! I think you're amazing and inspiring! I need to try some of your yummy recipes!

Andrea Gunnell said...

Ha, so I just left a comment about you going private and then I read this. I definitely understand how you feel as I have many of the same feelings.

Heather said...

Verna, The word verification makes it so the spammer has to take more time to leave a comment, if it is actually a real person and not jsut some automated mumbo jumbo. It is not a guarantee but the 1st step to reduce spam before going private.

Kristi said...

Well if you weren't so dang interesting you wouldn't have so many random people checking you out! I'd support your privateness or publicness, but I wouldn't be leering so frequently if you were private.

Chelsy said...

Heather,

Okay, I have to admit that you don't know more now have you ever met me. But I am an old friend of Phil's and grew up next door to his cousin Greg in California. I found your blog through his (or Tara's...not sure which) and it was fun to catch up and see how you both are doing. It's been so long since I've even heard anythign about Phil, I don't even remember hearing he got married (it's been a really long time).

And I too have a husband who really wants me to 'go private' on the blog. I've taken every safety precaution I can to convince him we are good...but I fear the day is coming soon as well. We'll see.

Anyway, nice to get to know you better...and tell Phil 'hi' for me!

Chelsy said...

Let me fix my grammar on that last post, it should read: you don't know me nor have you ever met me. :o)

Maren said...

i totally understand the hassle and sadness that comes along with going private but it is just all around better. no crazies can read it and know what you do day to day. its not hard to type in someones name and find out all their info. you just feel safer...atleast i do.

The Kriloff Klan said...

I guess I should introduce myself to help ease some of Phil's fears. I am a friend of Wendy's. I prayed for your family during your pregnancy & through the birth of Camden. I also helped Wendy make the bracelets for you & the baby. So I feel we have a bit of a connection. So now that I introduced myself I consider us blog buddies! Hang in there! You are an amazing person from what I know & an awesome cook!
Jennifer

O'Loughlin Family said...

Hey guys, Lets do dinner etc. this Sunday (tomorrow)or next saturday. Whatever works best. email us. coloughlin1@cox.net.

Chad and Emily.

Goodmangang said...

I am glad you did not go private it is kind of a pain to have to be signed in to see blogs. I know that my sister has seen yours off of mine and finds you very insperational. She is your cousins Kim's neighbor. We love to keep in touch I don't think you know how you touch people lifes even when they now from a friend of a friend. I don't know why I have not had any spam problems. Knock on wood

Nate and Lori said...

I'm glad that you're not going private too. It is kind of sad when you think that people that you know won't be able to find you out of the blue. I'm a total blog stalker as well.

Heidi Ann said...

Thank goodness! Not that's it's a big deal as I know I'd be first invited. But like you I enjoy people spying and it's really hard when they go private! Did you shed a few tears to win the war?

Kim said...

That is good that you don't have to go through the hassle of going private. See Ya next week. Or sooner if we plan something.

Verna said...

thanks Heather, I just got more junk so I think I will try it

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather

I am kind of hooked on your recipes. I found your blog through allison. I grew up with the Phillips, and when the gunnells came to Sacramento we loved hanging out with them. Sorry if that is weird. i thought I should probably confess. Thanks for the help with dinner. (how do you come up with so many ideas?)

Julie (lovell) Savage