Words cannot express how I am feeling today, although I am going to try. Last night your dad and I were discussing this day and I mentioned I wanted to watch the videos we have of you. He gently took me onto his lap and held me close tucking his head against me, in the crook of my neck. And then he told me he didn't want to do that, he didn't think he could handle it. It would stir up all the emotions we have carefully tucked away deep in the recesses of our hearts. He suggested we wait until we have another child, as if that would lessen the pain we feel know. I told him it wouldn't help having another baby, the reality of you not being with us will be constant. I let him convince me not to watch the sweet footage of you and I let it rest for the evening.
2 years. TWO years. I cannot help but marvel at the passage of time. We would have a delightful, rambunctious little boy, a product of the love your dad I share for one another, a part of us manifested in you. I awoke this morning, bid your father farewell as he left for work and he wished me a good day. I read a few chapters of a book, delaying the inevitable. I knew I would come to the computer and torment myself as I watched clips of video of your birth, our brief time with you in the NICU.
I watched video your Grandma Nay took of you and I. You were all bundled in the soft blue blanket Aunt Melissa gave us and were hooked up to all sorts of monitors. You had an IV in your tender little head, an impossibly tiny diaper covering your little Gunnell rump and a pacifier half as big as your sweet face. You never really cried, but rather grunted and fussed, your wails like that of a little kitten, you would mew. I think you didn't have the strength or lung capacity to truly express what you were feeling. Were you in pain? Oh, I hope not and like to think that I could comfort you. I did manage to calm you down and I will always remember how soft your downy skin was just under your little chin. I loved to gently stroke that area with the tip of my finger, carefully memorizing your face. Tears are streaming down my face as I type and every now and again I must stop to gain composure.
I love you so much. I miss you with every fiber of my being. It is easy to feel sorry for myself but I immediately remind myself that I will see you again. We are blessed to be an eternal family and I know I will hold you, kiss you and be given the opportunity to raise you. I cling tightly to this knowledge. I thank our Heavenly Father for the cruel short time we had together, I thank Him and at times struggle with the path we have been given. But it never lasts long, I know better.
My day will be consumed with thoughts and longing for you. My eyes are already red and raw, my being emotionally exhausted. Last year at this time I was at work, struggling to keep composure. I wore the bracelet that was made for us, your initials on my right wrist. I never wear jewelry at work since it gets in the way but I wanted a piece of you with me. I didn't make it through the day without breaking down. Today I am home, alone with my thoughts and memories of you. I will try and be productive, clean the house, exercise, just stay busy so I don't end up sitting here at the computer watching the hours of video of you, listening to your sounds, reliving the moment. I wish you were here. But you are, in a way...
I don't want to forget. I love you Camden.
Love, Mom
Just a smidgen of video we have of our boy.
28 comments:
Happy Birthday Camden! He is loved and missed by many. My thoughts are with you today and hope that you have a good day.
Happy birthday Camden! I was thinking of you guys this morning & checked the blog to see how you're doing. He is such a sweet little boy in that video & I'm sure he can't wait to be with you again either. Hang in there & don't try to be superwoman today. You guys are in our prayers.
tears are rolling down my face...such a sweet post...he IS with you and will be forever...you both are in our thoughts today..
I love how you are able to express yourself through writing. Camden is a lucky little boy! Happy Birthday Camden!!
The video was so sweet. That's priceless!! I pray the Lord's blessings will be sent your way today and often!
Heather......Your post was so sweet and you're so amazing. I feel like I am reading your journal. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and testimony. That video was so tender. I said a little prayer of peace and love for you and your family and can't imagine the heartache you push away as often as possible and then somedays you just have to cry and let it out! LOVE YA!
Heather,
I'm thinking about you all today. I tend to move away from remembering on KyLee's birthday because it was so tramatic for us, but I have been changed by these sweet words you have sent Camden's way. They are here watching over us and are more part of our lives than maybe we realize. Thanks for making me remember, the cry was cleansing! Love you, Melissa (Cousin)
Camden is one lucky little boy to have such faithful, tender parents. This post is simply beautiful. I shed some tears and said a tiny prayer for you and Phil today. May you truly feel the peace that only the Savior can bring today.
Thanks for sharing those sweet thoughts Heather. I am always amazed by your strength. I look up to you in so many ways. You're incredible. Thank you for being such a good friend and sister to me. I love all three you! :)
Heather,
Tears are running down my face as I type this. You are such an amazing person, and I don't know how you handle these days. Thank you for being so strong, you are such an example to me. I am sure that Camden is so proud of his mother and who she is. What a sweet day it will be when you can once again stroke that little chin and tell him how much you love him. We are so blessed to have the knowledge that that day will come.
I love you Heather, and yes I do want to get together...in person...and have lunch with you! Lets set it up!
Sara
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and testimony with us. You are amazing Heather and I love you!
What a touching post! I can't imagine how much you must miss him!!!!! How grateful we are for the knowledge of the plan of salvation and eternal families. What a glorious day it will be when you can be reunited with him!!! Happy Birthday Camden!
My thoughts are with your family today and throughout this week. You amaze me.
Tiffany Lee
I too have tears running down my face for you. You are an amazing person and Heavenly Father knew that. I want you to know that your post always touch me. Stay strong and stay close to you Heavenly Father he loves you and Phil. I am so greatful for the wonderful knowledge that we all can be families forever. I love you and I want you to know that we are praying for you.
Love,
The Goodman Family
Heather,
Can I just say that I love you? Honestly, you are an amazing person and my admiration for you continues to grow as I read your blogs. I love who you are and who you are becoming...you are an inspiration! Thank you!
Heather-
You and Phil always amaze me. I know that I am older and as an aunt I should be an example to you, but you are truly the example. I cherish your strength and testimony. Thank you for allowing me to share in your day to day joys and struggles. May your spirit be comforted at this time. Love ya!
Camden is the son of such amazing parents. What a lucky boy to know how much he is loved and missed. And what a great testament of Eternal Families. Take care.
Heather, your strength is astounding. It is true what they say "the Lord never gives us more than we can handle" very few people are as strong as you are. What amazing knowledge that you will be with him again, although I am sure that doesnt always fill the void. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Wow what a beautiful boy and post. It always amazes me how God comforts the broken hearted and lifts up the broken spirit. What a comfort to know that we don't have to carry on in our own strength...you in turn show us all God's faithfulness!
One of my favorite verses "Look to the LORD and His strength; seek His face always." Ps. 105:4
Hugs to you.
I love the video and I will be thinking of you today. What a blessing to know that you will have him and hold him again. You are amazing.
Heather that was a beautiful and tender note to Camden. I am grateful to have been able to read it. You are an amazing example to everyone around you. What a lucky little boy to have you as his mother, Phil as his father, and for you two to have him...one of Heavenly Father's most perfect.
Heather & Phil! you guys are amazing! What you have gone through is the hardest thing I can imagine! you are a very strong people!
Heather,
I know I don't know your family, but I am so touched by your story. Happy Birthday to your sweet Camden. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Jenny
(pickypalate)
I can't believe it's been 2 years, Happy Birthday sweet boy. Some things never die and a mother's love is one of them!
Heather, I hope you have a good day today.
I haven't been through nearly what you have been through...but what I keep telling myself is that all of these trials and waiting are somehow going to make me a better mom. I completely believe that for you. You are going to be a wonderful mother. Camden and the future little Gunnells are so lucky to have you as their mommy!
I happend to run into your blog, and just have to say how touched I was reading your sweet words to your little guy. I have a niece that was stillborn last month with tri 18, similar to Camden's tri 13. I am so impressed with your strength, and words that I had to just let you know. Hope you and Phil are well & happy. Keslee still asks about "Brother & Sister Gunnell" every now an then. Love, Suzanna Palmer
I just read your post today and was overcome with emotion. Thank you for allowing us to feel your strength, grieving, sadness, testimony...all of the emotions that come with having lost your sweet boy.
I love you and Camden so much. (I might learn to love Phil again if he makes restitution for posting that hideous picture of me :) ).I will always be grateful for the few short moments I was able to rock him and tell him I love him.
I'm so grateful to have you as a sister. Love you. Wendy
You are sooo amazing. I'm also crying right now. What a sweet video. Thank you so much for sharing that and your amazing testimony with me. You're truly one amazing woman.
Post a Comment