Phil & I have been in a funk lately. I go to work fairly enthusiastically, (maybe, sometimes but not always) and Phil stays home tirelessly looking for jobs, applying to jobs and honing his coding skills in preparation for a new job. I come home, tired and try to muster up dinner. More often than naught we both retire to our respective computers and waste time (mainly me, since Phil is super productive with his time, see above) wallowing in our sorrows.
Frustration and depression have been not so welcome visitors in our home of late due to our unemployment status and my persistent emptiness. I mentioned to Phil the other night that I feel like we are not progressing, not working towards anything. He replied, "That's because we're not." We are at a stale mate, treading water in this vast sea of life. We have had a few waves crash down on us and perhaps we are not as strong swimmers as we thought, at least for the moment. (Alright, enough with the lame analogy).
Today in church we had wonderful speakers on the topics of faith. And I was reminded of a few things. I know that things will become better for us. I know that I need to follow the simple commandments that are required of us, how can I receive blessings if I am not ready and deserving? Those waves or trials that come are meant to teach us something, make us stronger as we persevere and find solutions. Obviously I am needing to learn something, I am going to have to try harder to find the answer, listen more intently. It can always be worse and truthfully we are doing pretty well with just a few minor setbacks (that are totally consuming and devastating at the moment) just a bit of sarcasm there with a whole lot of truth.
Sunday, March 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Ah Heather...I know exactly how you feel. It totally stinks. Something that has brought me a lot of peace is realizing that by working so hard right now I will be able to enjoy being a stay at home mom a lot more. I have so many friends who have kids that complain so much about how hard it is and how they just wish they could get out of the house and how being a mother is such a drain. I really think that from working so insanely hard all of the time and wishing I could just be a mom and do the things that I was actually put on this earth to do will make me appreciate that time period do much more. And poor Phil...hopefully he can enjoy this moment of a little bit of relaxing because he may never have a period like this again.
I know I know, its so much easier when you aren't going through it. Hang in there!
Dear Heather,
Surprise! I bet you thought I never read your blog! Well here I am checking up on you.
It feels so weird to be as old as I am. (I sure don't feel old) Time sure teaches us wonderful, painful (as we might perceive them) lessons.
Trust me...from someone who has been there in your shoes, you will get what you are wanting. It may not be in your time frame but it will happen.
I am amazed as I look back over my life and watch how a wiser than myself, Heavenly Father has lead me down paths that I needed to go down. I am slowly learning to trust Him and enjoy the lessons that come our way.
I know my words mean nothing (because I've been there and heard it from other people) but truly as you let go and learn to trust, you will start to see the magnificence of God's plan.
The other day I read an entry from my journal. It was an entry from about 5 years ago. Ironically, most of the stresses I was having then, I am still dealing with now, but my perception of my problems have changed and I am able to enjoy my "problems" with a much lighter heart.
I want you to know that I ache for you because I know the longing you feel but because of my experiences I am confident in God's plan and know that this is going to happen and happen much sooner than you think!
Keep your chin up...this too shall pass. Love ya, Melissa
I know how you feel.... everything is just wrong and you feel as though there is no getting out of it. But I appreciate the reminder on Faith. You are right, that is all we need, but it sure it hard to accept that huh?
One of the interesting things about God is that He's always at work, even if we don't notice it. That, and the times of hardship are for a purpose.
My wife and I are working through Experiencing God by Blackaby and one of the things that recently hit home for me was that when God is silent, it's not that He's gone, but that He's preparing me for something.
That could be what He's doing for you as well-- getting ready to do something big in your life, if you'll just work at developing a deeper relationship with Him!
I am amazed at your faith. We pray that things will pick up quickly for you.
Just wanted to say that you're in our prayers & we're of course praying for a turn around! Saw an article today that you might find interesting about perinatal hospice...http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23682263
You guys are awesome and I can't see how your trials could be because of anything you're doing or not doing! Just keep it up & remember 'the Lord remembered Rachel'! (easy for me to say, I know)
Thank you for your kind words and reminders.
Heather! Okay, this is kind of funny. The comment from me above was actually from my sister-in-law, Lori! She was using my computer I guess. :) Silly girl. You probably thought I was crazy for not even telling you who I was! Anyway, I'm so glad you commented back, so thanks! You seem so cute and sweet. But still, the comment applies from me as well! It seems like we, too, are always longing for better times to come ... thanks for the reminder to try to learn from the present.
I am sorry about the stalemate. Everyone has their trials, but some you just would never guess. I am glad that you're willing to be so open and that you have so many people to support you. I have no doubt that the Lord has things in store for you.
I am in a Beth Moore Bible study and the topic is Faith! Wow, what a long way I have to go but thank the Lord that He made us and knows us and He will give us the desires of our hearts...
Take care.
Heather...I am so sorry for the major comment confusion! I didn't even realize that I posted from Lindsey. I guess I need to just keep to blogging on my own computer. Like she said above though...she is in the exact same boat and so it may as well have been from her. And look...now I inadvertantly helped you two become friends!
Post a Comment