Remember I said I signed up for a 5k. No big deal, just 3.1 miles, I can hack it. My goal is to run 3.1 miles continuously. All at once, no stopping or holding onto my side as it is cramping, running (or a slow jog) without breathing so laboriously that people around me will turn and stare. Not really, I can breathe and there usually isn't anyone around me. But there will be! And the stitch only comes every once in awhile, I can push through it.
So to accomplish all this I need to practice, right? Right.
I am not very good at this. I signed up to give me something to work for, a deadline, a commitment. I wanted, no needed something to get my buns moving, literally. My secret hope and desire is by the end of "training" for this 3.1 miles my buns won't be moving so freely.
I need to run, I didn't Monday due to a family gathering, Tuesday night is mutual and I needed to make dinner. I will always have a reason NOT to run (or a slow jog, I am not sure it can qualify as running given my pace). Running and I are not best friends, yet. I am secretly hoping we will eventually.
What do you do to stay motivated with any given task, not just exercise? And for all you avid runners out there training your cute little buns what tips do you have?
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
Hey! I am in the same boat as YOU! I decided yesterday that I wanted to train for a 5k. Like you, I wanted something to work towards and keep me in shape. Yesterday, I ran (slow jog!) for almost 30 minutes without stopping....I have NEVER ever done that! I was a sprinter in high school and I thought I could never like long distance running...looking back I realize that I just pushed myself too hard and didn't pace myself. SO...I think I want to start liking running for my exercise. It's free and effective! Since I really like to have a plan to follow I Googled "couch to 5k" and came up with some great training programs to follow that PACES you, so you don't get burned out. I in this with you! Let's keep each other motivated!
Heather, I am just like you. I always have excuses for not excersising.... work, school, family, house. The usual. When you find something that works, let me know!
Candace, I am so glad you are running too! I can run continuously for 10-15 mintues, not quite at 30 yet. Good job! And pace is everything!
I'm not a big runner, but when I'm totally unmovitvated to workout I talk myself into just changing into workout clothes, without any commitment to actually workout. Once I'm in the clothes, 99% of the time I will put them to use. Pretty pathetic that I play mind games on myself, but it works!
When it comes to exercise I would definitely say that it is important to have a friend or someone to do it with. It is much easier for me to talk myself out of working out when I'm doing it by myself then if I have someone who is expecting me to go with them. Good luck getting ready. I wish I could do it with you!
Okay, this may be kind of a long post...but you asked for it, right? In nursing school, I was blessed to gain that infamous weight that comes with stress. I had had enough and decided that I needed to learn to run. I had previously only enjoyed running if I was chasing a ball or going less than 400 meters. Anyway, I started out slowly...run a minute, walk a minute, run a minute...you get the picture? I would go for thirty minutes. Eventually, it was run 3 minutes, walk a minute, run 3 minutes...I kept pushing myself slowly until I could run a mile without stopping and then I could shave time off my mile and keep going. Needless to say, running can get pretty addicting. It's totally a mind game...since that time (like 6 years ago), I have competed in several 5 and 10ks, half-marathons, and sprint triathlons. SOOOOO FUN! A few things that have really helped me. 1) you have to have good running shoes! If you're body hurts, it's hard to want to keep going. My favorite are aisics..either the Kayanos or the GT 2130's. 2) If I don't exercise first thing in the morning, it doesn't get done. I hate the mornings and waking up early, but if I can pass the first test of getting out of bed, then exercising is pretty easy! 3) A key to longevity with running is being in a rhythm (I can never spell that word). 3 steps...breathe...3 steps... You have to concentrate on it at first but then it will just become natural and you won't even think about it. 4) Have some good music to listen to...it takes your mind off the hurt you feel at first and will give you motivation to keep going! 5) Give your self a deadline to accomplish your goal...which you've already done! So, good for you!
As Candace suggested, there are all kinds of training programs out there. I didn't follow any specifically when I first started, but when I started doing triaths and half-marathons, I started looking into those training schedules. They're free...just google them.
Once you get running down, you'll find that you can go without running for weeks and then pick right back up where you started and run that 3 miles without even thinking. It's awesome...but beware, like I said earlier, it can become addicting!
Anyway, you'll do great and I hope my blabbing has helped in some way! I'm so proud of you and that feeling of accomplishment when you cross that finish line without stopping is so rewarding!! Good luck, Heather!
Oh, by the way, I have been reading your blog but I've been in a blogging funk myself. I really enjoyed your posts about list making (I totally am one) and your blog about being in a funk. I won't even try to say that I'm going through what you are or that I even begin to understand, but I am definitely not achieving my best right now...and that is kind of disheartening. Anyway, just know that I learn a lot from you and I think you are an A-MAZING individual! Keep on keepin' on!
It's true what previous people have said...running is ADDICTING!!!! On my "rest" days, its so hard for me to actually REST!!! I was never a runner before...but I've ALWAYS wanted to, and after having Walker I just finally decided it was time to get with it! So I did my first 10K 2 months after he was born. For me, there aren't many times where I need to be motivated to exercise...its just something that I really enjoy. I love to be active and I love the results that come from that. I've ran many races since starting to run...and EVERY TIME I finish, it's just an awesome feeling! I love having that feeling of accomplishment...so you GO GIRL!!!
I tried running, but it never worked for me (the pavement was just too hard on my joints), but give me a step or weight/toning class and I'm all over it. The motivation is just that I feel so good afterwards. Good luck and hey, maybe running will never be your friend, but you can find something equally as rewarding and beneficial to your body.
I dread running so much as well until it is finally over and then I am so proud. I have to go immediately when I get home from work or else I will talk myself out of it. When I started running, I would go with my sister. We would chat the entire time that we would almost be able to forget that we were running. If nobody will come with you, definitely take some music.
Good luck! It stinks but get easier the more you do it!
I tried running once. In 1998, when I moved to AZ and school hadn't started and I knew NO ONE and I was terribly bored. I got over it pretty quick. So I commend your desires. Keep at it. That's all I got. Ü
There are SO many runners in my ward. We just had 12 ladies run Ragnar Relay (Wickenburg to Mesa). We have at least 6 ladies signed up for SLC Marathon, 1 Boston Marathon, 3 St. George marathon, and on and on. It's intimidating. However, I am like you...I want to LIKE running. I can run about 15 minutes continuously without needing a break. If anyone gives you good advice, or a good training program, let me know! I need the motivation too.
You are so good Heather, you are my inspiration!
How's the running going?!? I'm officially starting my training tomorrow! I bought some good running shoes and have spent the past couple days breaking them in. I really like the couch to 5k training program they have at Cool Running.com. I'm excited!
Still on the couch Candace. I am GOING to RUN tonight. I promise. Thanks for keeping tabs on me, I need it!
Post a Comment