We were married January 5, 2002 in the Mesa, Arizona Temple. Beautiful crisp cool day. Sky was so blue and just perfect.
We married at 9am and had a packed sealing room filled with our family and friends. Your very talented mother made my dress. It was clean and simple yet elegant. I loved it and still do. After the ceremony we took pictures on the temple grounds, had a lovely luncheon across the street that your mother put on. She had decorated beautifully and had catered Mexican food. Unfortunately most of the time we were taking pictures instead of eating with our family. They went on without us. After the luncheon we had some "free" time before the reception.
Lots and lots of free time. We went to our apartment in Gilbert. And nervously, awkwardly got to know each other better, kinda but not completely. I didn't want to mess up my hair and was a bit scared. We survived, so did my hair.
We had a gorgeous yet typical Mormon cultural hall reception. My colors were silver and lavendar. Bridesmaids included my very best cousins Krystal & Cassie and my little sister Vanessa. We probably did the entire reception for $2500 or less. We were poor. Yet it still turned out fantastic and we had lots of help from our family with decor and such. Our cake was fresh and light. Lavendar roses adorned the billowy white frosting and our guests enjoyed the slushy citrus punch and cake. It was simple.
Following our reception we left to stay the night in the Country Inn Suites. Perhaps you were hasty but I didn't get a chance to pack the things I needed. You know, the bathroom bag staples including make-up and accessories, etc. Things that I would need the following morning to look presentable. We checked in nervously wondering if the clerk knew we were just married and was knowingly smirking at what was to come.
I don't need to go into details about the evenings festivities. I remember and so do you.
We then left for the meaty portion of our honeymoon. The Ensenada Cruise. 4 days, 3 nights sailing the Pacific departing from LA. Ports of Call: LA, Catalina Islands and Ensenada. It was lovely. We dined well, met interesting people, went to Sea World and the Blow Hole in Mexico.
We went to an evening show. I was wearing a red v-neck sweater and I wanted to sit up front to see. The act was a magician of some sort. They picked me to "help". I was blind folded and they threw swords back and forth to one another as I stood in the midst. I could feel the swooshing air as they flew past my body. I recall you didn't want to sit up front again.
We returned home and real life began. I was pursuing my pre-requisites for Dental Hygiene at MCC and Chandler-Gilbert. You were working at PDS as a web developer. We were happy.
Next, the Early Years.




5 comments:
Heather you are both so cute together! Yes, your wedding sounds a bit like ours! How fun :)
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I remember the luncheon being chicken and rice in a white box tied with a purple ribbon! Or was that Jared and Andrea?? Anyway, it was so good. OH WAIT, nevermind! Mom made some tamales that ran out of water on the burner and went bad. Okay, now I'm straight.
Great stories. Didn't Mom/Susan make your dress, too?
Even if Phil does drive me crazy because he doesn't know when to quit... I am so happy he married you!
I love that you are doing this. It is one of my favorite things to read about. Your wedding was really nice. Can't wait to read about the early years!
I remember when Jared and I got married and you had been married for what a year and a half? Anyway, I thought you had been married forever at that point and now you are coming up on six years and we are coming up on five! Happy Anniversary...in a few days!!!
So cute! I loved reading "the beginning" and now this post. It's fun to hear how people meet and compare. Nate was late for our first date too and I was fresh off the mission and a little nervous for my first date in a while. Looking forward to the next installment!
Post a Comment