Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Beginning

This coming week as we approach our anniversary I will focus on our six years of marriage.

The Courtship & Engagement
Year 2001
I graduate from Red Mountain High School May 2001 and enroll in Institute that summer. 18 years old, fresh & naive I have hopes and dreams of meeting some super cute guys and enjoying my new single adulthood.

You, my love are a wise 23 years and are hunting for the woman of your dreams and haven't had any success thus far. (You are quite picky and particular I might add.) Doesn't he look hot?

We happen to be in the same institute class. We are sitting near one another. I think you are cute and hope you will take notice and make the first move. You don't.

Fast forward one month. July 2001. There is a stake young single adult activity, water skiing at Apache Lake. We both go. You happen to be in charge and bring your video camera and begin your duty of making small talk with the attendees. You make the rounds and end up near my blanket. You have me on camera, with my braces, in my swimsuit...

Later the group decides to go out on the lake. You "happen" to be in my boat. I ski, you record. I fall several times, you record. Great. Now you ski and I get behind the lens. You look amazing, your biceps bulging as you grasp firmly to the rope and flit around on the water like a dragonfly, expertly skimming and navigating the wake. The activity ends, we go home.

A week or so goes by...ring, ring!
Me: Hello.
You: Hey, this is Phil.
Me: Silence...pretend like you know who you're talking to...oh, hey!
You: Phil Gunnell, from the lake activity.
Me: Okay.
You: We were in the same boat...I got your number from so & so. I have some pictures I want to email you.
Me: Oh, I remember! Great.

I give you my email address. We talk for a bit and then you work up to asking me out. I say yes, we set a date.

The 1st DATE:
You are late. I am nervous. I had a major hair fiasco and to cover it up went pretty much platinum blonde, as opposed to my more "natural" looking blonde. You arrive and we drive away in your parent's white 1995-ish Toyota Avalon. It is nice, nicer than anything we have every owned or driven. You are wearing jeans and a darker denim shirt with a very light white check pattern. (It sounds gay, but it's not.) Turns out the reason you are late is because while driving to pick me up you spilt melted Carmex all over you and had to return home to change. You are sorry.


We drive to Fry's to pick up ingredients for our dinner that you didn't tell me we were eating. I have already eaten but don't say a word. We then go to your house where we meet up with your little sister and her date. She is totally mad at you because her date is 23 years old. She is 18. You think he is too old for her. She finds out I am also 18 and thinks you are a hypocrite and a jerk. I am unaware of all this and just think she is pretty grouchy.

I meet your parents. They are nice and then tell me they have heard a lot about me and have seen me water skiing. I am mortified because I remember how many times I wiped out and all the goofy small talk.

You make hamburgers, salad and then we have watermelon shakes for dessert. So good, but I am not hungry and force food down so you don't suspect anything. We then head out to the IMAX theater, watch some crazy 3D movie that makes my eyes and head hurt and then you take me home. It was a nice date, we made the appropriate get-to-know-you small talk.

You call me again and we continue getting to know each other, talk on the phone and hang out at each other's homes until all hours of the night. My mom is freaking out. She thinks we are going to get married. I tell her that it's okay. We are just friends. She is not convinced and tells me you are a returned missionary, are 23 and are wanting to get married. I nervously laugh it off.

At one date I get to meet your family. All of them. We meet at Wendy & Steve's, watch "What Lies Beneath", lay on the floor side by side. During the drive home you hold my hand and tell me "This is getting serious." You ask how I feel about it and I say "good". You smile and squeeze my hand.

All of this conspires in about one month. We meet the end of July and then around my sister's birthday we are engaged. We are in your bedroom looking at engagement rings online, trying to figure out what I like. You ask if I want the ring when you propose. I do but am a pleaser and say it doesn't matter. For some reason you get down on your knee and ask me to marry you right then and there. I say yes. We kiss. A lot. And resume looking for rings. I am a bit disappointed, no flair, no planning, no ring. But I am happy. Now we get to tell my single mom that her oldest 18 year old daughter is getting married.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear I am not the only one who didn't get a ring when the guy popped the question and then said "yes" anyway! Congratulations on 6 years! :)

Ryan and LeDawn said...

Wow, has it really been 6 years? Crazy! I can't beleive how young you guys look in all the pictures! Esp Ness! Holy Cow! :) Happy Anniversary!

Krystal said...

6 years! Wow! I totally remember all of that story, how you told me you went out with a return missionary. I even remember your hair...how funny. That part about your braces cracked me up. I remember how you practically forced Dr. Augat to take them off before your wedding:)

Anonymous said...

Freaking LOL FUNNY (FLF)! I can see Steph's point!

Kim said...

What a cute story! I can't believe that it is 6 years. I remember when you told me you were getting married. I was mad because Ben and I weren't engaged yet and I am older and you aren't suppose to get married before me. Congrats!

Crissybug said...

What a fun story. You always seem so much older to me. I can't believe that you got married at 18! That is truly awesome. The pics are great, and how fun that you have a video of the first time you guys were together!

Christi said...

Totally cute!! Our anniversary is today! I might have to steal your cute idea...

Candace said...

I remember my parents getting your announcement in the mail, the one with the picture of you guys on the rocks. I remember thinking, "Lucky dog! She got a good one!." :)