This was our beatuiful Christmas Eve Dinner. Mom had great plates and goblets for the occasion and Phil & I cooked our traditional German Christmas Dinner. We first had Rouladen and Rotkohl in Berlin when we spent Christmas 2003 and then later 2005 with our friends the Miebes. We have since decided to make it our annual tradition and let me tell you, it is the most amazing meal you will ever eat!
Rotkohl is a red cabbage dish that is a cousin to sauerkraut, but don't let that scare you away! This dish is sweeter with just a bit of tang. My family ate it perhaps with some trepidation but one bite had them licking their plates clean!
Rouladen is a stuffed rolled steak. My gosh, it is so amazing and my salivary glands are pumping just thinking about these heavenly meaty rolls. MMMMMM! It has grainy mustard, bacon, onion and pickle. Sounds weird, I know but trust me. Scroll down for the scrumptious recipes and make them for your family! You may just switch from the ol' ham to German cuisine for your next holiday dinner.
Making gravy and mashed taters.
The finished product, simply a-mazing!
Go HERE for the Rouladen recipe.
Go HERE for the Rotkohl recipe.
For dessert Phil really wanted vanilla pudding, we had some packets from our previous trip. The food presentation minded person that I am was vehemently opposed to humble pudding, I was rather thinking of doing a creme brulee. But I agreed to pudding as long as I could dress it up.
So I did.
German Vanilla Pudding Mold with Raspberry-Blackberry Coulis and Oatmeal Lace Cookies
Delish.
9 comments:
I would most certainly try this. I'm a german girl myself and this pictures makes me SALIVATE!
Okay maybe it's because it is lunch time and I am starving, but that sounds awesome! I'll have to give it a try.
Yes it really is the best meal ever! I really I wish I could have it again...hint-hint! Isn't it your turn to cook for our dinner get together:) Just kidding! Love ya.
It all looks really good. I am not sure I would like it so maybe you can make it for me? Just kidding. I will have to give it a try when i am brave enough!
mmmm, German food. You are making me go through withdrawals. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Heather,
You look absolutley fantastic! What are you doing to stay so thin and pretty? I could use some help! It looks like you guys had a great trip to Utah....I do miss seeing your mom al lthe time!
Looks SOOOOOOOOO good. Spencer would flip with excitement if he can home one day and I had made Rouladen...I'll call you if I need help. Heather, what can't you do?!?!?!?!?!?!
all the food looks totally A-mazing!!!! YUM!!
The food looks great! And so do you miss skinny-winny!! How did you stay that skinny through the holidays?
Post a Comment