Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A Day Off

About every other Wednesday I do not have to work. Yea! A small celebration and a chance for my hands and back to rest. I always have the best of intentions on these special days. I am going to work out, clean, do laundry, pay bills, cook, shop, etc. But how fun is that? Not! I am just clocking in at my second job, the one that is always waiting for me when I get home. But since I am the "Boss" I have a bit of flexibility.

Take today for instance. Last night as Rebecca was leaving after our almost nightly walk/jog when we feel like it, she mentioned that we should have a girl's day with Cailin at Bahama Bucks. Who wants a Bahama-rama-mama? I do! I do! I am always looking for a chance to get out of the house as I am sure Rebecca is.

I slept in this morning until 7ish, then had sourdough french toast with strawberry sauce for breakfast. Tasty! Lounging around in my G's I figured I needed to be productive (after much prodding from Phil, mind you). So off to the office and the cyberbank to pay bills and file the paper pile that was threatening to take over. By the way, I was sacked from my credit card paying duties since we were charged with a blasted late fee for not posting a payment in time (again). Dang! $39 really hurts.

Armed with packages and bills to mail I left the house. I had acquired FREE coupons to Chik-fil-a and Bahama-in case Rebecca called. Lunch was on the house and was a nice hot chicken sandwich. Still waiting in case Rebecca called I headed over to the dangerous establishments known as Target & Ross. I always find good deals at these money siphoning stores. I am lured into the clearance mentality--"Ooohh, look at this! And only $13.99?? Why then I'll take two!" And around the corner there are always more racks-it's a discount girl's shopping nirvana!

What's a girl to do with such great bargains at her fingertips? And I am such a sucker for the wrap dresses or any dress that is actually a real dress. You know, pull over your head or zip it up, not just separates. As I grab a few skirts (read 3 skirts-since I already have 3 wrap dresses, let's shake it up a bit) I console myself by telling inner doubt that these are wardrobe staples and one can never have too many of those! Don't I watch "What Not to Wear" and glean all my tips from Clinton & Stacey. Oh, if they could see my new metallic ballet flats they would be so proud!
There are more clothes folks, this is why I need to work and keep busy, preferrably far, far away from the spendy shops. Why is it that when I am home NOT making money, I spend money?

5 comments:

Kim said...

Dang! I wish I was feeling up to hanging out with you. I would have enjoyed the shopping and the time out of the house. The only bad thing is we would have had kids with us. They are fun but let me tell you shopping is more fun with out them. Next time give me a call and lets hope that I am able to go.

Anonymous said...

cute skirt. a friend of mine at church just bought the same one. i miss bahama bucks, yumm. ha ha, you got banned from paying the credit card bill. that's funny. good writing, heather.

Andrea Gunnell said...

You know, that is one thing about being a stay at home mom. If I leave the house it's usually to spend money! Thus I make myself stay at home where there is no temptation, but it gets boring! I guess I need to find more things to do that doesn't require going to a store! By the way, we definitely should play volleyball sometime. I would love it!

Maren said...

you are so funny heather. i love reading your posts....very creative! i am always up for shopping if you want a partner. i must agree that shopping with kids can be difficult and tiresome sometimes. i have been slcking on the blog thing and i just got your post about a haircut. email me and we can schedule something. smurkov@aol.com

Maren said...

holy cow heather. i just read camdens story from his site. i am sitting her with tears streaming down my face. i can barely see to type. you and phil are amazing people and so lucky to have such a perfect child waiting for you in heaven. he was such a cute baby and such a fighter.