Sunday, April 14, 2013

Yosemite National Park

We spent Friday hiking around in Yosemite National Park. We stayed on the outer edges and know that we didn't get to fully appreciate it but due to time and my lack of proper hiking attire we stayed to easier trails and saw some highlights. The weather was gorgeous, perfect really for being outside and the park wasn't terribly busy but there were still plenty of people out.

We stopped in the Mariposa Groves and did a short 1.5 mile hike. I love pine trees. It didn't smell "piney" though. I also loved to see these clusters of baby trees, so fresh and green.

 photo yosemitehike_zps05eccf6f.jpg
 photo yosemite4_zps59cf54d9.jpg

These giant sequoias are stupendous. We only had our phones on us and one of these days we will go back with our dslr camera and an appropriate lens to more fully capture their majestic beauty.

 photo yosemite2_zpsdb67e958.jpg

The California Tunnel tree was cut in 1895 to allow coaches to pass through it (and as a marketing scheme to attract visitors to the grove), this is the only living tree with a tunnel in it since the fall of the Wawona Tunnel Tree in 1969.

 photo yosemite_zps72400988.jpg

The Grizzly Giant (photo taken from wikipedia)

 photo 416px-Grizzly_Giant_Mariposa_Grove_zps6330ff63.jpg  photo iphonemarch_0107_zpsc127e3d8.jpg

I love this next image. So breathtakingly beautiful! What a glorious world we live in.

 photo iphonemarch_0103_zps82ce3821.jpg

Bridalveil Fall

 photo iphonemarch_0102_zps0068b1be.jpg  photo iphonemarch_0095_zpsc20167e0.jpg  photo iphonemarch_0075_zpscbfe84ff.jpg

On the way back from our hike in Mariposa Groves we gathered huge pine cones. I mean HUGE! We each had an armful and it got quite painful at the end due to maintaining a static and contracted position with our arms/shoulders/back. What possessed us? I have no idea. It seemed like a great idea at the time and we now have a trunk full of sap laden pine cones.

 photo PINECONES_zpsbbca72d7.jpg

We picture swapped with a lady and this was the result of our turn. It has grown on me and I rather like it.

 photo Fresno_0178_zps469989b1.jpg

After spending the day in Yosemite we headed back to our chalet, ate dinner and then went on a walk near the lake. We had such a good time just relaxing, talking and being together. It was wonderful and we are already planning our next trip. We are making it a point to get away each year to focus on our marriage and each other.

Saying goodbye at the airport. The trip went so fast and it was sad to walk away but the good thing was that Phil was to return home the next weekend. I sure love this man and the life we are making together.

 photo Fresno_0174_zps7943a34a.jpg

4 comments:

Anjane' said...

I am so glad that you were able to get away with Phil! This is inspiring me to do something for our 10th anniversary next year. I kept thinking that the money will be there later on & we can skip those things for now. Now I am thinking differently. I loved the pictures & am so happy that you had such a good time!

Leah said...

That's awesome! Looks like a beautiful place and a fabulous time!! Getaway's are the best for the soul and the marriage

Terina said...

So fun! I'm so happy you guys got away together!!! I thought How awful that was that you hadn't been anywhere alone with since kids, then I tried to remember if we have, I'm not sure we have.....ho awful! LOL

Nate and Lori said...

Yosemite is amazing, huh? There is so much there and never enough time to do it. Im so glad that you guys were able to getaway. My parents never did that and then spent a ton of money on therapy to try to save their marriage after 30 years. My plan is to spend the money on vacations that keep me in love with my husband rather than boring therapy. Hopefully it works. At least we will have more fun anyways.