Thursday, April 4, 2013

Easter 2013

Easter this year was very low key with Phil was still out of town. My mom and Link were in town the week of and we were able to spend some wonderful time with them. They even watched my kids while I slipped away Easter weekend to Fresno to see Phil! Woohoo! That was amazing.

I was gone Thursday through Saturday afternoon. I missed the Rapier egg hunt/breakfast but my mom took some pictures for me. The kids had a lovely time gorging on candy and playing at the park.

 photo easteregghunt_zps4fd8d640.jpg
 photo easter13_0043_zpsef70a9ec.jpg  photo easter13_0045_zps7a69a54d.jpg

There was a pet bunny there that my kids were obsessed with, especially Rhett. He followed it all around wanting to love on it. He must have thought all bunnies were meant to be loved on because when I got home later that same afternoon he saw a wild bunny run across our yard, he yelled out "bunny!" and ran after it. We stopped him before he got eaten by the cactus that the bunny sought refuge under.
   photo easter13_0002_zps7460e938.jpg photo rhettbunny_zps8eacd991.jpg

The kids read lots of books with Papa,

 photo MARCH_0306_zps465f4d12.jpg

posed for Grandma's camera,

 photo easter13_0077_zpsb33dd2a4.jpg

and played at the park. I don't think they missed me at all while I was gone. For that I am grateful! They were in excellent hands.

 photo easter13_0105_zpsa5b8a5d3.jpg

My mom and Link drove home early Easter Sunday morning. The kids I just went to church, we got gussied up and I harrassed my friend and neighbor Kendra into taking 25 pictures of us until I was satisfied. I have camera issues, clearly. I need to accept that three small children, tricky morning lighting and a camera phone don't make for ideal pictures. This is one of the best and I still wish I had my dslr on hand to do a redo. #photographerproblems

 photo iphonemarch_0059_zps63f3dca9.jpg

We barely made it through sacrament meeting. I left 12 times taking various children out to potty, discipline, etc. We were horribly irreverent, I made the executive decision to call it quits after the meeting and we headed home for lunch and naps. Rhett fell asleep 2 minutes after I buckled him in, it is less than a 5 minute drive home. There was our problem! Tired kids.

With Phil out of town and my parents on the road we didn't have any plans for a nice Easter dinner. Everyone else had their own family shindig where we probably ate cereal or quesadillas, I can't remember anymore. It wasn't special, that's for sure! We will try again next year.

When Phil gets home this weekend I want to visit Camden's grave with the kids. And next year I will do better in teaching my children that the true meaning of Easter is not candy, eggs and bunnies. It is about the glorious gift our Savior has given us; that He lives! And because He died for us we will be able to see our sweet oldest brother again.

2 comments:

Dave and Mandi said...

I am so happy you got to slip away and spend some time with Phil! Looks like your kids had a fun Easter. And your picture of you and your kids on Easter Sunday is beautiful! You look amazing!! And as always your kids are adorable!
I'm so impressed you braved Sacrament alone with three. I DREAD every other Sunday when Dave is at work and I'm flying solo. If there is even a hint of illness or fatigue from either kid it is my scapegoat. You are amazing Heather.

Nate and Lori said...

I can't wait to hear more about your little getaway... Good for you!!

I too had overwhelming feelings that I didn't do enough to focus on what Easter really is about and have resolved to do so much better next year.