We had gone to our friend Julie's house and I talked up Owen's big boy bed when we were there. After Rhett's nap we went to Wal-mart to look at sheets and I steered them in a direction I was willing to go with colors and pattern. And budget! Hooray for affordable bedding! I really had no idea what I wanted per decor but I am drawn to fun colors and something more sophisticated yet kid friendly. Navy and coral it was.

We talked at the store and on the way home about their big beds and they were so excited! As soon as Phil got home from the office they blasted him with requests for a big bed. He didn't understand them so I translated and he happily got his drill and together we got to work breaking down two cribs. The kids happily "helped" and then we had enough "helping" and put on a show to distract them.
As soon as the sheets were on and beds in place the kids flew, literally, onto them. Kate discovered the close proximity of the beds is perfect for practicing her flying skills.

8.21.12, 7:53pm. "Wheeee!"
We call her the flying squirrel.
They did so well! We tucked them in all cozy and gave them a few books. They both asked for a tent, which is what we used to do every night when they were in cribs. It started back in the Deanna house, in Peoria, I draped a blanket over the crib rails and told Max he was in a tent. They loved it and our bedtime routine wasn't complete without one. We told them we couldn't have tents anymore and they did okay. They still ask but now tell us that there are "no more tents".
The excitement the first night kept them up for a bit as they explored and exercised their new found freedom. Kate kept getting out of bed (but stayed in her room) to get more books and she would toss books out the door when she was finished with them. They chatted for a bit but went to sleep a short time later since not taking naps makes for some tired babes.

Kate was the only casualty during the night. We found her passed out on the floor. Neither of us heard her cry out, no harm no foul. Max just got up and sat on the couch in the morning. I was so proud of them!

Since then things have continued to go well. They stay in their beds, fall right to sleep at night and rise early in the morning. Once I get their new curtains and shade up it will darken the room quite a bit, blocking out that pesky early morning sun. Hopefully that will extend their sleeping just a bit longer. They need all the sleep they can get without that midday nap boost.
I am having fun putting together a new decor for them. I have ordered some fun fabrics to make curtains, a few throw pillows, found some darling art on etsy and will make some as well. It is a challenge to do it on our budget but I am enjoying it. Now, if I can just get more hours during the day, I could actually make some progress other than planning and dreaming.
4 comments:
They always do so much better than we imagine! I'm glad your transition went so smoothly. And I love navy and coral. So fun!
Awesome! What a fun change.
Yay! I'm glad it's going well so far. Cute colors too!
You give me so much hope and I'm glad things are going so smoothly. I love te colors! Navy and coral is perfect for a boy/girl room. Kate looks like she has got skills! Looks kind of dangerous- good thing daddy will be a doctor.
Post a Comment