With medical school I have come to have zero expectations of Phil in regards to gifts, holidays, etc. I know that it isn't truly important but will admit that it is nice to be thought of. So when he came home close to 10pm last night and said that he had something for me I was skeptical and cautious. I opened the front door and there were two twiggy fruit trees. Sweet man. We have talked about wanting more trees in our yard and he said he was wandering around Wal-mart last night (nothing like last minute!) and came across a plum and pear tree. He snatched them up and declared them my gift, because trees "last forever" and don't die within the week like flowers. I'll take it! Sadly, we won't be around to see them mature and bear yummy fruit but it is the thought that counts.
We planted the trees in the cool dark evening and finally crawled into bed just before midnight. This morning he got the babes out of bed, got them their milk and brought me a hungry Rhett. He played a bit of starfall.com with the kids and then packed up and headed out to study for his finals this week. I married a good man. We love him.
I fed the kids breakfast, we played, I showered, and they read books in my closet while Rhett napped. I dried my hair and got ready for church, dressed Max and Kate and together we woke Rhett. Poor kid, no one should have to be woken from a dead sleep, especially startled out of slumber by two boisterous toddlers.
Before we left for church I wanted to take a few pictures of us together. Again since we are flying solo today, the mirror and my not so long arms assisted. Rhett is the only one who somewhat cooperates for photos but the mirror scene perfectly captures what my life is like. Two busy, busy, camera averse toddlers and one happy baby.



I waffled back and forth about attending church on my own and just went for it, hoping that through my desire to attend the Lord would bless me with cooperative children. That and a well packed church bag! We made it through with minimal outbursts, two packages of fruit snacks, crayons, magna doodles and lots of whispered "sit downs!". Bless all those that sat behind us. One of these days I will get there on time so we can snag seating on the carpet to muffle our chaos.
I quit while we were ahead and packed up the kids and headed home for naps. Dinner is prepped and once the babes awake we will settle in for a quiet day at home. Hopefully our dad will join us before the night is over, but I'm not holding my breath.
I am grateful to have four special spirits in our family. Three children here on earth to help me learn and grow, who are teaching me how to mother. I am grateful for the examples of motherhood I have in my own mother and mother-in-law, sisters-in-law, sister, aunts, cousins, friends... I am surrounded by wonderful women. Happy Mother's Day!
5 comments:
Happy Mothers Day Heather! You truly are an extraordinary mama whom I greatly look up to. What a sweet and thoughtful gift from Phil! I'm glad you had a wonderful day! Love you!
Happy Mothers Day! Good for you for attempting church with three little ones all on your own! I'm sorry you had to spend most of this day alone (well not really alone with your three kids, but without Phil!). Thinking about you and love you!
I'd call the day a success. Pictures are too cute, as always. I always think it's the little imperfections that make life so perfect.
I agree on the tree thing. A very clever idea. I need to pass that one on to my dad. My mom is dying for fruit trees.
Lincoln & I just had a conversation last night about how to celebrate holidays with him in med school. I'm not sure there are a lot of options & Mother's Day proved to be a somewhat lonely holiday for me too. But it will all be worth it in the end...right? ;)
What is it with these 2 year olds that they cant stand to cooperate for any pictures.
I'm all for the totally practical gifts and fruit trees sound absolutely perfect. I think the bigger gift is the huge sacrifice of his day by studying...although, it probably didn't feel like much of a gift at this point while you were at church by yourself and spending the rest of the day alone.
Post a Comment