Tuesday, April 27, 2010

It's Official

After 5 or 6 trips (I've lost count) last week alone to the West Valley we finally decided upon a rental house and placed our money where our mouth is by placing a deposit. No turning back. We are moving. Packing commences, temporary chaos ensues. Sigh.

3 weeks to pack up our life and move it across town. Sigh.

Our children were amazing as we dragged them all over town, turning their nice and predictable nap schedule on it's head as they endured hours each day strapped in their car seats. Mommy guilt was heavy as my poor babes protested each time we buckled them in, each time they fell asleep for a few minutes at a time, their poor necks in all manner of contortion, bobbing up and down, swaying back and forth to the rhythm of the road. Or the absence of naps leading to frustrated, overtired babies. But they survived, as did we. I am so glad we are done with that.

We took one final look at the house and then drove to the property management company to put our deposit in the weekend drop box. We looked at each other, reaffirmed aloud that this was what we wanted to do and I slipped the envelope into the slot. No backing out now.

We were silent as we traveled home, each lost in our thoughts. This was big. I told Phil that this was like the first slap in the face of what will be a progressive string of "slaps", each stinging more than the last.

Finding a rental. Placing a deposit. Signing a lease. Packing. Moving from our home of almost 6 years. Phil quitting his job, absence of income. Medical school. Slap, slap, SLAP!

Now, time to get to work.

11 comments:

Marisa said...

Good luck with everything! We hope you enjoy your new home. Your kids are adorable! That photo of daddy and kate is so sweet.

therealmccoy said...

Sniff Sniff.... I will miss you

Candace said...

You can do it, you can do it!!!! It IS possible to get through these "slaps" in one piece and even find joy & happiness doing it! Not every moment, not every day....but it will be there! YOU CAN DO IT.

Ryan and LeDawn said...

totally understand! We moved to Utah completely blind and with out jobs! Our apartment was owned by his sister so we only knew where we would be living, but even then we knew nothing about it. It was probably the scariest thing we ever did. But it was where we were suppose to be and it turned out perfect. And now I would kill to be back to that little bit of perfection all alone in a place of our own with my amazing job. It was an adventure and it was a blast. If you guys need help just hollar!

O'Loughlin Family said...

scary but exciting time... hopefully more so in hindsight :)
Are you guys renting out your house here?

Kristi said...

Aaaahhhh! Big deal, big move! Congrats and I hope it all works out perfectly. And I hope this doesn't cut back too much on our cousin dinners!

Nate and Lori said...

Wow! 3 weeks, huh? That is so soon! Although I'm sure the last thing you need is me saying things like that to freak you out. Its a big change and moving stinks but hopefully everything will work out for the best. Good luck and BREATHE!

Brian and Janette said...

Wish I was there to watch your babes for you while you pack! What are your plans with your current home? You guys are going to do great--if anyone is the epitome of perseverance and persistence, it would be the two of you--even if it is in taking slap after slap!

The Hann Family said...

Oh, Heather! I feel for you and know what you are going through on so many levels. It WILL be worth it in the end...bring on the loans and slaps!

Grandma Nay said...

You kids have overcome alot more challenges!! I am so proud of both of you, take the advise, " Just breathe!" Let me know if I can help at all! We love you & know you can do it! Our prayers are with you & your sweet babies!
MOM

Kelly said...

not only can you do it but you'll come out the other end SO blessed. you guys are just awesome- AWESOME.

add a mother-in-law into that equation and you'll have my life. ;)