Thursday, February 18, 2010

For the Record

February 17th, 2010
Jammies and nurse at 6:30pm.
Bottle of freezer milk at 9:30pm.
Not a peep until 2:30AM!!
Diapers and nurse until 3AM.
Wake at 6:15AM, diapers, nurse and play.
7:20AM first morning nap and out by 7:25AM.
Two happy babies and one very happy momma!

The night before this blessed event I was up every 2.5 hours to feed them and I was trashed. Seriously kids? You cannot possibly be that hungry! And I don't necessarily think they were. They would nurse actively for a few minutes and then get slower and slower as they dozed and suckled occasionally. I would try to pull away and they would then start up again. I suspect comfort nursing and that morning I told Phil I think it was time for a bit of crying it out to at least extend the feeds or even drop one.

This was a long time coming. I kept hoping and praying and adhering to a routine in hopes that they would sleep longer on their own. Every other baby seemed to be doing that and here I was feeding every 3 hours 24-7. I kept telling myself they were too little, if they were up to feed then they must need it, right? They may be 5 months old but really they are 3 months old... And on and on I would rationalize with myself and Phil when he would tell me to let them cry. I didn't think I would get to that point, it seems so sad. But enough sleep deprivation will get you there!

Happy to report that there was not one bit of crying last night. I am not naive enough to think this is the end of long nights or the beginning of bliss from here on out. But I am hoping this is the beginning of a trend and slowly easing our way to longer stretches of sleep at night for all of us.

Now they slept peacefully last night and I on the other hand was awake at 1am, 1:06am, 1:13am and so forth just waiting for them to get up since I am so used to it. Also my chest was waiting for them to get up too! Kate had one single shriek/scream at 2am and I was so happy! By the time I made it down the hall she had found her thumb and was back to sleep. Dang. I was actually disappointed and had to make myself walk away from the crib and get back in bed so I wouldn't pick them up for a dream feed. I even toyed with the idea of pumping since I am so paranoid about my supply. But I didn't and not a half hour later Max was fussing and I was happy with them sleeping from 7pm to 2:30am. Their dream feed bottle I am still counting as sleep since they were sleeping really and we were just about to turn in so it was good timing.

Max is now a member of the thumb club. He finds it and calms right down. We have ditched the boppys for about 2 weeks now. They sleep on their tummies, we don't rock to drowsy anymore, just swaddle, kisses and down to bed. They really don't protest, minor fussing as they get settled but they are asleep in under 5 minutes. Heaven! They were getting too big for me to rock together and it was taking longer for them to settle. I never thought the day would come when I could just put my kids in bed awake and walk away.

Photobucket

Max is the more mobile one, scooting his little self all around. I place them pretty far apart and they usually end up like this, bunched up together. I don't necessarily think it is a twin thing, just that Kate is his road block. Cute nonetheless.

Photobucket

10 comments:

Marilyn said...

They are so sweet and woohoo, one night down and many more to go. But, who knows, they may surprise all of us and make the transition easily.

Kelly said...

What beautiful babies! It's coming, Heather! They're making big steps. Now if you could just follow suit and sleep. It's hard, isn't it?

By the way, they have such beautiful, round heads! Strange, I know, but my babies are back sleepers and had flatter heads, no matter how much tummy time I worked in, for a while. I guess it helps that they were c-section too... my babies were cone heads for a while. Anyway, they have beautiful, soft, fuzzy looking heads that I wish I could smell through the screen! Baby smell is intoxicating.

Nate and Lori said...

Okay...I know I said I wouldn't be jealous, but seriously 7 hours and no crying?! Thats so awesome. Poor you though. You'll never get to experience what it feels like to lay on your sofa and bawl your eyes out while your baby(ies) scream for 3 hours. You're really missing out :)

Fingers crossed for tonight!

Brittney Blount said...

That is the best when they start sleeping longer. it makes me want to throw up when I think about the night feedings. I am not looking forward to it. I think its ok to let them cry it out sometimes. It was the only thing to get Kendal to sleep longer. It is so hard, I know! but you are their mom so you know whats best for them at this time!

Candace said...

HALLELUIAH!!!!! It is SO liberating to just put them down....and walk away! I'm so happy for you & hope they'll keep it up!

The Hann Family said...

They are soooo adorable!

Christi said...

Yes Heather, putting them down awake is THE BEST! It helps SO much, especially when they get older! So keep it up! They are so adorable!

chad and lemae said...

yay for sleep. Alfred and me would move around at night until our heads would touch. I think it is a twin thing max wants to be near his sister! so cute

Brian and Janette said...

Hooray for sleep! Glad you've found a routine that works for you. And letting them soothe themselves to sleep early on is the best...you will come to love it when their older and start resisting their naps a little more...but you will have full confidence that they know how to do it.

Brian and Janette said...

okay...excuse the typos..."when they're older"