Monday, December 8, 2008

Six Words

Photobucket
After dressing Camden for his funeral and saying goodbye for the Last Time: May 5, 2006


I fleetingly entered a giveaway on another photographer's blog. I didn't win but it made me think. The photographer, inspired by Hemingway, challenged you to write your own story in just six words. It was rumored that Hemingway was challenged to write a story in a single sentence, and has since become the standard to which micro-fiction should aspire. His story is as follows:

"For sale: baby shoes, never used."

Amazing. Perfectly succinct and to the point.

What could I write? Obviously the pinnacle of my life to date has been dear Camden. How do you sum up the birth and death of a son? How do you describe the deep scars that are etched in your heart? The longing, heartache and yet, the happiness? With only six words.

I am not the only person who has encountered trials; others who entered the contest spoke of cancer, betrayal, and loved ones lost. I felt Hemingway already wrote my story. How could I say it better?

I know my life is not just about Camden's birth and death. The most important thing I have learned is that our life together is not over; we have a second chance and that is the one that matters most. Without the knowledge that I have, my life could be defined just by loss and that would be tragic. So here are my six words:

Eternity. Knowing makes all the difference.

What are your six words?

20 comments:

Verna said...

I don't know what my six words are but yours are so true. What an amazing photo, Mother and Child!

Candace said...

WOW. That's something quite powerful to think about. What are my six words?

Yours are beautiful and so true.

Brian and Janette said...

Thank you, Heather, for yet another beautiful post (and beautiful picture I might add). The only six words I can come up with right now are:

I am still thinking about it!

But, it is a challenge I want to try. PHEW! This is difficult. If I have success, I'll share...but it may take a while.

Marisa said...

I will have to think about that one. That picture is amazing, and so is your story. Just inspirational.

Kelly said...

"You and Me, All I Need" ... Not specifying who the You is. May be Heavenly Father, may be Ted, may be Gwenna, or a myriad of other people from time to time. Most of the time it's Heavenly Father because with His strength, I can do anything.

Nate and Lori said...

Family: Without them life means nothing


I sort of just thought of that quicly, but seriously, that is what I have learned in the past few years. Its taken a lot of humbling experiences to realize that all of the things in life that I used to deem important are nothing if you don't have your family. I was also trying to think of one that had to do with judging people because when I was a newleywed, I was talking to a girl in our ward who was saying that she and her husband waited 5 years to have kids. In my head I though, what a brat. No here I am at 4.6 years of marriage and no baby and thinking..."shoot, i guess you really can never truly judge people." anyways, thanks for the beautiful post.

Andrea Gunnell said...

That picture says so much by itself...so beautiful! I love your six words. I put mine on my blog. Thanks for the idea.

tiffany said...

Your words are so moving, always. I think I could come up with a few different phrases for different times in my life... For right now mine is:
Life is short, make today count.

Marrdy said...

Beautiful Heather. I have always loved the saying, Families, for time and all Eternity. Taught by a wonderful young womens leader and remembered 30 years later!

Anonymous said...

Wow. You're deep. What a challenge you bring to the table, when you've probably had the hardest of them all. You're inspiring. You make me think & feel a lot off of your posts.
Thanks for sharing Camden with us once again. At the moment (pertaining to my life now) I'd say my 6 words would be "Love. Better lost than never had."

Brian and Janette said...

Okay...I'm back. I've been thinking about your post all day. (By the way, thank you for this exercise...my pondering has stirred some very special feelings and emotions.) Anyway, I came up with a few, and I couldn't decide, so here goes all three.

We are all children of God.

He came. He died. He lives!

Learn to laugh. It's good medicine.

tiffany said...

I have been thinking more about this today... it really can be addicting. As I have been going about my tasks today, I have thought how can I sum what I am doing right now into 6 words. Here are mine from today (I won't bother you with more as I am sure I will keep thinking of them)

I keep buying, they keep eating.

Six people equals too much laundry.

One more project, done with masters.

Getting hair cut today, way overdue.

Cortney said...

I love to read your posts...so touching! I think of you often and hope this holiday season finds you happy and at peace. My friend Kelly who lost her baby has been going to different functions for stillborns, miscarriages, etc., and I think it might be good if you and I go with her sometime. People with common trials coming together...it would be good I think. I will have to think a bit on my six words, but what a concept!

Leah said...

I can't even think of what mine would be. I love yours and love that picture of you and your son. Are you surviving this crazy holiday time? Hang in there friend...you are awesome! Let's for sure get together after Christmas and talk Photoshop...

Candace said...

Ok...I'm back too. This has been very thought provoking, thank you. My six are:

Life is to Enjoy, not Endure.

Agnes said...

You don't know me, I got to your site through Verna's but what a great idea, my words are

Adoption,chosen by God for us

Miss Niss said...

great post...really makes you think...my six words are...
Family: A Little Piece of Heaven

Kelly said...

Can I agree with Candace? Ü

Sheila Wilkerson said...

Heather, I am always amazed at your blog content. I'm a big fan. As for my six words...I'll have to think more about that and get back to you.

Marilyn said...

I have been thinking and thinking about my six words and can't think of anything to say. Maybe the "can't think of anything to say" are my six words! You are amazing and I love this blog.