This weekend proved difficult for me and my family. As I struggled with an unfortunate outcome I turned to a book that has brought me much comfort. When Camden died our bishop's wife gave us a lovely gift, a book by John Bytheway titled "When Times are Tough, 5 Scriptures that will help you get through almost anything". I would like to share a few passages that have helped me the most.
"No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, the the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially as we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God...and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire and which will make us more like our Father and Mother in heaven." Orson F. Whitney
Life is hard. We all know that. While trials are bitter and difficult at the time we experience them, who would want to miss out on all that growth-growth that might not be possible any other way? The strongest parts of my testimony have come through difficult times.
An important passage that has stood out greatly comes from Boyd K. Packer.
"Do not suppose that God willfully causes that, which for his own purposes, he permits."
Read it again. There's an important difference between causing something to happen and allowing it to happen. Some things are just the natural consequence of living life here on earth.
Howard W. Hunter: "Please remember this one thing. If our lives and our faith are centered upon Jesus Christ and his restored gospel, nothing can ever go permanently wrong. On the other hand, if our lives are not centered on the Savior and his teachings, no other success can ever be permanently right."
I am fine now. I have gathered myself together, picked up the pieces, put on my happy face and am ready for the next task. I do know that we have a loving Heavenly Father that is acutely aware of the happenings in our life and the challenges we face. I know that He loves me and wants me to be happy. I have an amazing network of family and friends that support and love me. Armed with this knowledge one can get through almost anything.
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
I am so sorry to hear that. The quote about him not willfully causing pain is amazing. One people need to remember. You have such a strong spirit. You guys are in our prayers.
Heather!
We love you and again if you want to break your streak I am here to help you with that. Sorry to be tempting you but homemade ice cream is just a churn away. With a saltines on the side of course!!!
Along with the inspiring words you've shared, I can't help but think of all the wonderful messages of hope, perseverance, and faith that we heard in conference. What a wonderful resource to turn to in times of need.
Keep on being amazing!
You are amazing and a great example to us all. Thanks again for dinner last night. It was so good and it was fun to get together.
Thanks for being a great example. I don't know how you do it, but I admire your faith, and sanity!
Heather, I love you and Phil so much. I've been thinking about you and praying for you. I'm so glad you are feeling better.
Thanks for that post...I love it. As I look back on my own trials and those that my friends are facing now...those quotes ring so true. It is hard to see the rainbow that comes through the fierce rainstorm...but in time we learn to cherish it and the beauty it brought. I am a different person through my trails...but a stronger, more spiritual person that I don't think would have come any other way but through my struggle at parenthood. Hope that made sense...anyways...I'm here for you and will continue to pray for the yearnings that are in your heart. Love ya!
I am not sure what this post is about, but I do want you to know that on one subject I know how you feel! You have been dealing with it longer than me, but it still hurts and it never gets easier to deal with. One day it will happen one way or another and I just need to be patient and keep my head above water until then.
Thank you for your inspiring thoughts and quotes!
I'm going to have to get that book, it sounds good! You are such a strong person Heather. I admire you! Let me know if you need anything!! We should get together (you me and Cortney) when Cortney's baby is a little older.
Very well said heather. you and phil have been on our minds. we think of you often, know that you are loved.
i admire the way you trust in your heavenly father in every aspect of your life...i can learn more then a FEW things...thinking of you...
Heather,
Your mom called Brady and I, and asked us to fast for you and Phil. She loves you so much. I have known since you were little that you are a strong person. For the past few years I have watched and have admired your strength and resilience for the trials you have endured. You never cease to amaze me at your willingness to continue forward. I know that Heavenly Father loves you, He seems to be molding you and spending extra time with you. So at this frustrating time in your life just remember the poem- “Foot prints in the sand”....The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand, is when I carried you.”
We love you both and our whole family (all the Fenns) are praying for you.
~Sherrilynn
I love the quote from President Packer. I used to think that Heavenly Father wasn't hearing me, wasn't even listening to me. I wondered how I could go on suffering while people all around me were so blessed. But Pres. Packer is right. There is nothing willful about what we go through. We are here to be tested and I know some of the testing is so much harder than others. I pray for you and Phil, for your comfort and for your happiness. Take care.
Wow I needed those quotes lately. I need to get that book! =)
oh heather, i dont know what difficult times you are going thru but i know how strong you are and how much faith you have. hang in there and i hope things get better for you! love ya girl!
You don't know me, but I went to High School with Jared and was pretty good Friend with him. I stop by your Blog every now and then to see the delicious recipes you share and the funny, inspirational things you post.
I know you lost your sweet little Boy a while ago and I was hoping to get some much needed advice. We found out yesterday that our Daughter ( I am almost 19 weeks pregnant ) most likely has Down Syndrome and may also have some neurological problems. But harder than that - she may not make it. I need to know how you are so strong. I am going through so many different emotions right now. I am scared, angry, confused and unsure. I feel as if the Lord has left me to do this alone. I am not feeling a whole lot of peace and comfort right now.
If you have a minute, could you maybe email me some of the things that helped you. I just need comforting words from people who know how this feels. I am so blessed to have so many loving Friends and Family that are tying to help, but I don't think they understand what I need right now.
Kami Milliron
kamillemilliron@gmail.com
Oh Heather, my heart aches for you. Do we need to go to cheesecake factory and devour a slice of heaven? I'm sorry for what you're going through and please know I'd love to help in anyway I can. We ARE allowed to hang more than just toffee making, which is coming up by the way! This post fits my life right now perfectly, I can relate to many of the things you wrote. I cry mucho right now so if you need somebody to cry with I've had lots of recent practice! Love you!!!
Post a Comment