I finish scaling my second patient of the morning and proceed down the hall to let the doctor know I am ready for exam. He finishes with what he is doing and as he walks by me to my operatory he asks if I have the munchies. Perplexed, I answer no.
He washes up and greets my patient. Still puzzled over his remark I ask the office manager who overheard our exchange why he asked if I have the munchies. She laughs and tells me both the doctor and the assistant are pretty sure my patient has been smoking pot. Great! I knew he reeked of smoke but I thought nothing of it, I chalked it up to his pack a day habit, thinking perhaps cigarettes smell differently by brand...
Ignorant? Maybe. Innocent and naive? Most definitely. I don't think that's a bad thing though. I still don't think I will be able to recognize it. And I am okay with that.
The doctor's next patient is a transvestite. S(he) is currently trying to get a grasp on the ways of being a woman, though it is an awkward transition. Acid wash jeans that are too short and heavy make-up. Someone needs to help her or s(he) needs to pick up a fashion magazine. Very nice person though. And yes, last time I saw her, I made sure I called him "she" and did so well until the very end as I was presenting her to the front desk and slipped. S(he) didn't bat an eye though. For that I was grateful.
Yep, all in a day's work here at our office. And no, I don't have the munchies, thanks for asking.
**Note to Patrick: I would love to talk cameras with you, just email me please, you can find it in my profile.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I didn't know what it smelled like either until I interned in a 6th grade classroom and some of the students were caught passing it back and forth in a wallet. The officer who came for our little situation thought it was funny that I didn't know what it smelled like so he had me smell the evidence. He felt it was important to know for next time - luckily I haven't had to deal with a next time. It is kind of nice to be naive though. I like living in a bubble.
I'm glad you don't recognize that smell -- I had it in my apartment at BYU -- BYU, go figure! Needless to say, I didn't stay in that apartment for the whole semester!
HAHAHAHAHA! Yes the smell of pot is much different from a cigarette. not that I know from tasting it, I've just been around the smells enough to know. And you can smell the chemicals from a meth lab, not so much the drug, more the 'kitchen'...I don't sound like the daughter and wife of cops now do I?
Good luck in 6 months and 1 day with HE SHE HE SHE WHATEVER!
Haha, I guess all types need their teeth cleaned. I think I would've puked in my mouth though while working on him/her. And yes, pot has a very distinct smell - ever been to any concert for, say, anything but classical or church music?
That's awesome. Patients like those are what help the day go by fast!
I went to a few too many concerts during the 70's and do know what Pot smells like. So much for innocents!
You have the most amazing stories about your work. Totally crazy!
ha ha ha this post is too funny! ohhh the joys of growing up in st david! oh, ask krystal to invite me to her page?! rachellejhurd@yahoo.com
thanks :)
Wow, got to love those patients. I have not had the chance to work on a tranvesite yet...maybe one day. I guess you are the lucky one for now.
you meet some very interesting people at work!
exactly where is this office located? sounds like one you might find in baltimore or possibly Rio Salado hygiene school.
Post a Comment