Friday, March 14, 2008

All in a Day's Work


Yesterday I had the pleasure of seeing a patient with severe periodontal disease. Extreme bone loss especially around the molars like the above model, in some areas worse, almost full root exposure on some teeth. He also smokes one pack per day and has for 40+ years. He has had deep scaling and root planing about 18 months ago, never returned to the specialist for follow-up care and now just wants me to do a "cleaning". Joy. Heavy plaque everywhere and my favorite, tobacco stain.

Translation: Tar stuck on his teeth and roots. 18 months of tar.

Imagine the root surface to be like a microscopic calcified sponge, full of tiny porous openings. And the tobacco clinging stubbornly to these crevices. And me with my arsenal of instruments ready for battle. Like the one below. Basically a power scaler. ♥ it.


This took me 20 minutes to do! Twenty minutes!

My hands were crying and I had to stop several times to shake them out and stretch.

Moral of the story. Brush your teeth, don't smoke a pack per day and for the sake of all weary hands please see your dentist regularly, as in at least 2x year.

And my hand is fine, thank you for asking. At least it will be when I stop working, someday. Soon. Hopefully.

But probably not.

And I rock my job.

BTW-Happy 100th Post!

12 comments:

Katie said...

Yuck! I use to assist a cute girl just like you back when I was 18 and 19. I remember some pretty nasty mouths. I was convinced that taking Xrays and cleaning and prepping the opitories was a much better job. Except it didn't pay NEARLY as much. She had an assistant so she could see twice as many patients. Her poor hands.

Marisa said...

So sick.... how do people not go in before them? And I bet those teeth hurt so badly! BTW, how do you get pictures? I bet that would be a funny conversation :)

The Price Family said...

YUCKY!!! Oh I don't know how you do your job!!! I am gagging just looking at the pictures, I can't imagine seeing it and smelling it in real life...YUCK!

Miss Niss said...

seriously, i dont know how you do it!! i'm totally grossing out, i could never deal in TEETH!!! you go girl!

Nate and Lori said...

Nice work girl! I seriously hate the smokers stain more than anything in the world. I would rather clean off years worth of tenacious calculus then even 6 mo worth of nasty smakers stain. Oh and the stinkiness and their nasty gums. And you totally rock your job

Candace said...

SICK! I am constantly surprised what people will knowingly do to their bodies...

Jared Gunnell said...

GROSS!

Mandi said...

You should have had a warning at the top of the post about graphic pictures - disgusting! Those weren't really his were they? I can't believe how nasty smoking is. I really don't know how you sat there and did that for twenty minutes. You should get a bonus.

Kristi said...

Ugh! Are you allowed to refuse service?!! Did you at least give him a stern lecture?

Heather said...

He didn't speak english very well, had no idea he had a "disease", (cause he did you know!) and sometimes you just pick your battles because I know when I see him again it will be the same. I took these pics to show him the difference and how hard I worked. We have an intraoral camera at work for patient education.

Jenny said...

Oh,
The joys of being a dental hygienist! I was cracking up at your post because I have been in your shoes a number of times. Great tip, Brush and Floss people!!

Jenny
Picky Palate

Dents said...

lovely, that is typical fare for Army dentistry...lots of smokers, and non-brushers, sick!