Well, I can honestly say I was surprised this morning as I checked my blog. I expected to see the same 4 comments which were primarily from me and my fellow colleagues poking fun at my original post. Thanks! You like me, you really, really do! Okay here goes:
Kim: Do you ever have dreams of cleaning someone's teeth that are totally nasty?
H: I have often dreamt hygiene, in school I could close my eyes and see myself doing that day's patients. And not in a 3rd party way of viewing but see my hands and their mouth and I would visualize the strokes and adaptation I was making with the instrument on the tooth anatomy. All I wanted was a peaceful night's sleep! Sheesh! I would tell, no command myself to knock it off. If that didn't work I would restort to prayers, desperate prayers.
And unfortunately as I have attested on this blog with THIS post, I think all hygienists get excited when a patient presents a challenge, it is just our nature. But there are also patients I dread seeing.
Mandi: When Phil did the ZOOM! did his teeth just hurt that night and then were fine afterwards or did the sensitivity stay longer?
H: His teeth hurt during the night and then by late morning he was fine. If the boy would've just popped 800mg Ibuprofen all of his "pain & suffering" could have been avoided. You'll be fine.
Miss Niss: Is it bad for your teeth to eat ice a lot??!!!!
H: In a word YES! "This habit is quite common and causes a tremendous amount of bite stress to be placed on the teeth. It can lead to tooth pain, cracking, fracture, and in some cases, total breakage of a tooth to the point where it cannot be repaired. Avoid chewing hard ice at all costs. If you must chew ice, make sure that it is crushed and slushy."
Taryn: When are you going to get that cool hygiene hair like the girl in your post picture?
H: Well, I do have an appointment this morning and I have been itching for a change...On second thought, I think I will keep it long.
Jennifer: What brand of toothpaste to you use and why?
H: I get this question alot from patients. Toothpaste, as far as dental benefits, in my opinion is equal. Everything you see on TV is just marketing crap. As long as it has fluoride in it I am happy with it. Toothpaste will not make you a better brusher, etc.
But, I love, love, LOVE Aquafresh Extreme Clean, the mint flavor. It is the only paste that can knock out morning breath, and this is an important quality! It has a crazy foaming action, so if you don't like lots of bubbles then this isn't the paste for you. And I don't buy it for the whitening properties, seems like you can't get away from that. It won't whiten your teeth to extremes, so don't bother with those products.
Thanks for your questions!

11 comments:
Thanks Heather! I always was interested in the toothpaste questions, the toothpast I use does NOTHING for that. Thank you!!
Heather, this was so cool! Way to get your readers to join in on the fun!
And thank you for the interesting information! I have another question that's dumb, but I was just curious -- in what order should you do flossing, brushing and mouthwash? Or does it matter? (that's the order I do.)
Mandi-It doesn't matter, we are grateful that you floss period, so at your convenience and whatever you will be most compliant is always what works best.
amen on the aquafresh toothpaste. i love that stuff the most!!!
Heather funny that you posted this question. I am a friend of the Dent faimly and she told me you were a Hygienist, my sis-in-law is on the fence to be and RN or a Hygienist, any advice for her. Ps funny again I saw your coment on Katie P blog and thought I should see if that is Reabecca's friend!
Heather, I have a question unrelated to dentistry. If you dont mind... how do you get it show the picture of you two every time you comment?
Julie: Being an RDH has its perks as does RN. You get to choose when and how much you want to work, you get compensated pretty well but usually there are no benefits unless you go corporate-which is usually not good. Hygiene can get really boring, you do the same thing over and over...I ahve often thought that I would be an RN if I could do it again, but hygiene suits me ans has served me and my family well. The pre-reqs are essentially the same so she can get through those before she really needs to commit to one field. She can email me for more info, so this comment doesn't turn into a book. I hope you check back for this since your user profile in not public I can't respond anywhere else. :)
Thanks Heather! It worked :)
Thanks for the answer - I'm a little obsessive compulsive so orderly things like that must be done right! (not like I'm on meds or anything for that) =)
And about the word of the week - it's totally not my idea. Brilliant April (on my sidebar) is one of my older sister's friends from hs/college and she posts it every week and a bunch of people do it. I've loved learning new words - you should start it! In fact, if you go to her blog, for her piquancy entry this week she talked about how she chooses her words. It's the same thing with the 52 Blessings - someone started it and I thought it'd be a good idea to help me recognize mine and give me something to blog about when life is boring.
sorry I forget I am private, thank you for your post! I will let her know:)
Post a Comment