Friday, February 8, 2008

Love Language

It's that time of year again. Time to express your love to that special someone. Valentine's Day is so cliched though; chocolates, flowers, sappy love notes, nifty undies, jewelry, etc. I am not jaded, though that last sentence would make one think otherwise. We should do special things throughout the year to keep the flame glowing, burning or roaring depending on your interpretation. The problem therein lies with remembering to do those special things. Life gets mundane, monotonous and busy.

Here are a few things that we like to do to keep the love alive!

Phil left for a snowboarding trip a few days ago and I slipped a little love/thank you note in his bag for him to find later. He said he was surprised to see it. Today Phil synched my new cell phone with all my contacts, emails, etc and then proceeded to show me how to use it.

We both love fabulous food and I like to cook a great meal for Phil and enjoy it together. It is also nice to splurge and eat out now and again. We love to spend time together whether it's running errands to Home Depot (him) or talking after a long day at work (me) and time is turning out to be a precious commodity with us. There are countless other things to do when one remembers to do them (note to self), I tend to get wrapped up in all my responsibilities and need to focus on US.

What do you do to keep the flame burning and what are you doing on V-Day?

12 comments:

Ryan and LeDawn said...

I like this post! We all need to remember how to keep the love alive in our relationships.

I try to write a note to ryan every once in awhile to let him know how much i appreciate him and all the hard work he does for us and our future. I also try to remember him when i go shopping and buy his favorite treats.

Ryan will be cute every once in awhile too and draw a bath for me and light candles and turn Enya on. (My favorite bath music)

Ryan doesn't know this yet, but we are getting a couples massage for V-day! And we def. need after the last week and a half of baby-sitting little hellians. (I have no idea how to spell that)

Julie said...

I love to surprise Aaron with a little (very litte) piece of lingerie, really I love to dress up for every Holiday so the real suprise is what I wear, I also like to do a Sweet Heart breakfast for our little family. We excange cards and get our little girl a book this year she is geting Elmos Valentine.

Heather said...

Great ideas! I read somewhere that instead of exchanging cards the couple has a red book that they pass between eachother and write their love notes in, that way they have it throughout their marriage and can refer to it when they are feeling not so lovey.

Julie-You must have quite the collection of itty-bitties! Very fun and I am sure Aaron appreciates your "efforts".

Pace- ♥ the couples massage, I think that would be so fun and relaxing.

Heidi Ann said...

Let's see, Chris shows me he loves me by cuddling while we lay in bed and I show him I love him by NOT cuddling, Heather I know you can appreciate this! We surprise each other whether it's with a clean kitchen or knowing the latest sports stats.

Nate and Lori said...

We are bad at this! I'm sitting here racking my brain about what I do to show my husband I love him. How pathetic am I? Pretty much here's what I've got: I pull my self out of bed at the buttcrack of Dawn to make him the perfect lunch each day. I occasionally send cute text messages. But the true sacrifice would have to be me going to work every day. I pretty much only do it because I love him so much.

And I'm like you, I will actually lay in bed with him Saturday mornings even though it is killing me to get up at like 5am to get started on house projects or something else.

Maren said...

well, if you want an honest answer....every year since we got married, i have cooked a yummy romantic dinner, made him something fabulous, bought a super cute sexy 'outfit' or last year i set up a big scavenger hunt with cute phrases that go along with each item he found. it took forever to make and set up. anyways, my point is this-i am kinda of done with valentines day because i am the only one doing fun things for him, he doesnt do anything special for me. i think he is beginning to expect it every year since i have always done something. not this year!!!! there you go...you asked and i told.

Heather said...

Nice! Heidi I am right with you sista! Amen & amen.

Lori-I too go to work EVERY day, I am getting tired of it (at least the full-time part) but it is all in the name of ♥ or bills or something. :) This too shall end someday when our hubbies get their dream jobs and we can stay home with our cute babies. At least that's how I like to think.

Urkov Fam-I always go out bit for holidays and I know it is nice to get the same reciprication.

Marisa said...

Mark will have dinner made for me when I get home sometimes as a surprise and he ALWAYS helps out with Madisyn, which is a dream. Valentines Day is not that big in our house, although last year he surpirsed me at work with flowers! This year he will be hunting with an old mission comp and his wife and I will have a lovely evening making crafts :) Not ideal, but at least I am not alone!

Krystal said...

We have 3 sick kids at the moment so we will probably sit home with them. We usually don't do much anyway, we are pretty boring.

Mandi said...

Ha! This post totally reminded me of a couple years ago when Nate went back to Boston for his brother's PhD graduation at Harvard. I packed his bag for him and folded lingerie into almost every clothing item of his. Apparently the first day, one stocking (the kind that attach to a garter) fell out of his clothes when he went to shower and then he took it to my sister-in-law and asked if it was hers. So then the whole family found out about my lingerie surprises and I was kind of embarrassed. In theory it seemed like a romantic idea.

As for this year, it's a nice homemade dinner with two little girlies. We don't like fending off the crowds so we prefer to stay home and put the girls to bed early...

Miss Niss said...

we've never been big vday celebraters!! i've actually hated the holiday since i was young...and i don't like it that much still! ha! nathan wanted to surprise me w/something this year, but i asked him not to, because i'd rather use the money for a pair of new running shoes!hahahaha...very romantic...i know..
this year...for dinner we're having romantic...tacos! even better! but it's one of the fam's favorite so i thought i was doing them all a favor there! i guess i need to work on this area:) i HAVE been compiling a love letter for him...so atleast thats a try! :)

Kelly said...

We're bringing red velvet cupcakes to our friends. We love each other, and that's a given, but we love other people too!