Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas Spirit

I was NOT feeling very festive this year. For some reason Christmas Spirit was eluding me. Yes, we have trimmed the tree and made candy. Gifts are almost done but wrapping has not begun. (hey look, it rhymed!) I just have not felt merry and bright yet.

Last night we went with our neighbors to the Mesa Temple to see the lights and such. We walked around and oohed and ahhed at the outdoor nativities, listened to the performers, went into the Visitor's Center and saw the Christus. One of the best parts was seeing the International Nativity Room, various countries were represented, all depicting the same sacred scene. Following the nativities we watched Luke II. Then I felt the Christmas Spirit. Let me emphasize CHRIST-mas. Because that is what it is all about.

1st is an origami nativity from Japan. Pretty cool! And then the others, also cool.

I have not/will not do Christmas cards. I think that without children we are not worth going through the trouble and expense of updating everyone on our mundane life that is pretty consistent and not exciting throughout the year. For us nothing changes. So consider yourself now Christmas carded.

Here is our 2007 in a nutshell:

January: We celebrate 5 years of wedded bliss.
February: Still married, working and schooling.
March: More of the same. Phil celebrates one year of unemployment, I mean full-time student status. Heather gets fed up with University Dental and starts looking for greener pastures.
April: She finds them and makes a move closer to home and more $$. We "celebrate" Camden's one year by going to the temple and visiting our sweet boy's grave to care for the lovely black granite that bears his name.
May: Summer school and Girl's Camp.
June: Heather turns 24!
July: Still married, working and schooling.
August: Phil graduates! Woohoo! Only 7 more years to go!
September: Wishing for fall and not finding it.
October: I told you we were boring; all I do is work and YW.
November: Give thanks with the Gunnell clan and eat lots of pie.
December: Christmas Spirit lacking but soon found. Spend time with family and snow in Utah. Gain requisite holiday pounds and swear to lose it the following month. Enjoy all the sugar and fat I readily consume and then curse my weak sensibilities.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

10 comments:

Taryn and Sterling said...

what an eventful year...I am sure you are much busier than you make it sound. How do you know Kim? She does our hair as well. Does your sister in law still do hair?

Kim & Max Willis family said...

whoo hoo!! your hair looks so cute in that pic! we never ended up going to the temple lights fri night!looks like you had a good time! see you in Jan!!

Kim said...

Your hair looks good. You are not boring and I love hearing about you and what you are up too. Can you believe that we are going to see each other at least once a month. I am soooo excited.

Miss Niss said...

too bad we didnt see you at the temple, we were there that night too!!!

Heidi Ann said...

I would just like to say that you are totally worth a Christmas card. What if you chopped and dyed your hair and I didn't know but then I got your card! See, you are worth it!

brook said...

Hi Heather! No problem on the date thing- we were the ones who flaked out on you guys the first time around. :-/ Definitely after the holidays we want to get together! By the way, you guys are anything BUT mundane. Your blog always cracks me up!

Marisa said...

Heather, I am glad you finally felt the Christmas Spirit. You are right, the temple always make it feel "right", like it can come now!

Nate and Lori said...

I'm with you on the whole Christmas card thing...who wants to see another boring pic of me and my husband as I tell everyone that I'm still scraping teeth and he's still studying away. I was just thinking of doing the same thing on my blog, so don't be offended if I totally copy. And many of my entries will probably sound quite similar to yours...

Mandi said...

I love February and July . . . still married, working and school. Isn't that how life feels sometimes? I'm glad you got into the Christmas spirit. Your post made me think that I should take the girls to see those Nativities -- they are obsessed with the Nativity story and that's all I hear about. Oh, and I didn't do Christmas cards this year either, so we'll see about next year. . .

Dents said...

The temple lights/nativity night looks like fun. We wanted to do that before we left AZ, but didn't get the chance. I thought your "Christmas Card" was great, blog style.