Monday, October 7, 2013

Utah: July 2013 | Part 1

Middle of July I got brave and drove with the kids solo to Utah to visit my mom. Our purpose was twofold; visit my family/escape the heat and give Phil a quiet house for a bit so he could further study for boards without 4 distractions. I admit I was nervous about tackling a 12 hour drive by myself. I armed us with snacks, movies and a froggy potty and a planned pit stop at a park in Kanab.

 photo IMG_1786_zps588ea6f7.jpg 

The kids actually did really well! We made numerous pit stops in various towns along the way and at least 5 roadside potty breaks. Bringing that little potty along saved us so many times! I bought fun treats like animal crackers, fruit snacks and fruit to keep the trip fun and the kids enjoyed that. I also got good at tossing things to the back of the van. If I missed then they were out of luck until the next stop.

Oh yes, that major purchase I hinted at a few posts (months!) back? We purchased a minivan back in June. Obviously with a new baby on the way our current and adored truck was not going to cut it with our required 4 car seats. With our Utah trip looming in the future I was really pushing for getting the van sooner than later. We found what we were looking for and I've been a minivan mom since. It is lovely having a degree of separation between the 3 kids.

 photo 2013-07-14_1373762424_zps80c4c2dc.jpg

Pictured above is our new van and the park in Kanab. The park will definitely be our go to from now on! It is beautiful with picnic tables everywhere, bathrooms, huge grassy and shaded areas, a great playground, splash pad, etc. It puts all of our local parks to shame.

   photo IMG_1787_zpscadbd6ac.jpg 

We finally rolled into my mom's driveway and we were all so excited to get out of our seats and see Grandma and Papa. Kate loved the dogs they have and she could be found where ever they were.

 photo July_0225_zps3877639b.jpg
 photo July_0224_zps3f818c63.jpg

Our stay was full of outside play, parks and cooler weather. The kids had a wonderful time playing outside and with their cousin Kash when he was visiting.

 photo July_0221_zps68bea24c.jpg

One night we were playing out front in the grass and the kids started digging around the the empty flowerbeds. At one point Rhett was pretty much swimming in the dirt.

 photo rhettdirt_zps00641649.jpg  photo July_0238_zpsaae01361.jpg  photo July_0256_zps5c8fbca3.jpg

While we were there my mom gave Rhett his birthday present. His very own plasma car. I captured his reaction on video too, priceless! He was so excited and has since mastered his skills and can keep up with Max and Kate pretty darn well. Speedy little boy.

 photo rhettsnewcar1_zps0b0da868.jpg

He inspected every inch of that car, checking out his new wheels.

 photo rhettsnewcar_zps7d35f440.jpg

Grandma's little posse.

 photo July_0214_zps294f0f4c.jpg

No comments: