Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Overwhelmed

I had every intention of sitting down one or two nights and hammering out these posts to get caught up. And then life happens; Phil has a week of day shifts and we actually can hang out at night, or I am too darn tired to sit and filter through images and compile thoughts, or the house is a mess and I have to work the next day and maintain some shred of dignity and tidy up before Kara the fabulous babysitter comes over, or...

Maybe I just need to settle for one post a week. Maybe. No promises.
______________________________________________________

There is no witty way to say this.

I am pregnant.

The 5th and FINAL baby arrives the first week of January 2014.

 photo ultrasound_zps02321ad9.jpg

I know. We're crazy.

You know how some people in the blogging arena have a theme or word for their year? Like "focus", "breathe", "peace", etc. Mine is overwhelmed. And by all accounts I am doing fabulously on fulfilling that theme! (Phil says I am too sarcastic, sorry if that is too biting.)

As the shock and stress of adding another baby to our family has begun to fade I am very grateful that I can have more children. I don't take it for granted and know that we are blessed. But I still feel incredibly overwhelmed that this will be our 4th child in just over 4 years. Ahhhhh! If you had asked me about another baby a few months ago I would have laughed and sworn it off for another year or two before I started to consider trying to get pregnant, when Rhett was approaching 3 years old. And yet here we are. Apparently we are on the 2 year plan. :)

I am 13 weeks presently and for the first time EVER I have been nauseous and feeling yucky. My hopeful reasoning is that this baby is a girl. All of my prior pregnancies have had boys in them and I have never felt nauseous with them. I would love for Kate to have a sister but of course will be happy with either gender. The sickness has since lessened and most days now I feel pretty good other than general fatigue. As of last night heartburn reared it's ugly head, so early! I am also feeling that general unease of my stomach and digestion woes that plague most pregnant woman. Bleh. My consolation prize is the baby at the end and knowing that this is the last time I will be doing this.

I also have felt this little peanut move already. So fun! This is my favorite part of pregnancy and what I will miss the most.

So there you have it. One of the primary reasons I have fallen off the face of the earth as my dear friend Liz put it. That and the three other little people that call the shots around here. I can do hard things, I can do hard things...

17 comments:

Kathryn Melzer said...

I got too excited to hear about your changes that I asked Kim. Congrats! and may the force be with you. At least when I had my four kiddos all close, it was when Ryan's income fell drastically...which meant he was home more because there was less work to do. It all works out and we all survive..right?!

Prayers your way.

Matthew and Shanna said...

Wow! Congrats on a new little one on the way. How exciting! I just read about your flood, how stressful. Your kids are looking so grown up!

Jena said...

AHHHHH!!!

This is wonderful. I can understand the overwhelmed feeling (and I only have one for goodness sakes, not three!) but if there is one thing I know about you, it's that you are AMAZING, CAPABLE, and have tons of GUMPTION! You can do this!

KJ's Perspective Take 2 said...

Congratulations! You will be great. It is ok to be both sarcastic and overwhelmed sometimes! Plus the humor keeps you sane I promise.

Christi said...

Oh you are superwoman!! I cannot even see myself having another baby yet- I am not even close to that point. But congrats to you guys!!

Anjane' said...

I am so happy & overwhelmed for you. ;) Your kids are adorable so at least we know that your consolation prize will be a beautiful one! Sorry you've been sick this time around. Hope the rest of your pregnancy is easier!

Elizabeth Farnsworth said...

So excited for you! If anyone can do it, it is you! Just have lots of chocolate close by! Hugs.

Leah said...

Wahoo....love your real-ness and honesty. It will be rough for sure at times but having your babies be close in age is a blessing too. I am overwhelemed alot too. You are not alone! Love you..hope you feel better soon...

Jennifer said...

Yay!!! You can do hard things, you already have twins, plus Rhett, what's one more little person telling you what to do? I'm so happy for you, now you can mentally prepare yourself to be done with having kids, but even going through your whole pregnancy with the thought that its the end, its still hard to let go of that chapter and get closure. Hopefully you will have another little girl at the end of this to even out all the boys for you and Kate. Congrats!

Julie said...

Oh Heather I am so excited for you guys! I just read about your flood and you have every right to be feeling overwhelmed right now!!! I feel ya on all your symptoms :( that's the only way I know pregnancy & it's hard! Hang in there. You are super woman to me! Xoxo

Dave and Mandi said...

YAY!!! Congratulations!!! I am so happy and excited for you. If anyone can handle another sweet little babe it is you!!!! That baby is sure blessed to come to such a wonderful family!
I am sorry you've been sick...ugh! I don't know how you do it with three other kids to worry about when you are nauseous. Certainly the heat isn't helping. Hopefully it will subside soon!
Best of luck with the pregnancy and everything else you guys have going on! Hooray for fourth year!!!!!

Hulse Family said...

Congratulations Heather (and Phil). I am so excited for you! I feel your pain but I was just telling my little surprise baby Garrett tonight how my life would not be complete without him. I am sure you will feel the same about your surprise too! The Lord does have a sense of humor! I am still trying to figure out if he is laughing at me or with me!

AZ Larsens said...

Congratulations! If anyone can do it, you can! You two make beautiful babies. :)

Kami Milliron said...

CONGRATS ! That is awesome - another gorgeous Gunnell Baby : )I hear ya though . . Sarah was a total surprise. We were done having kids and didn't expect to be expecting again. It was a harder pregnancy for me because I wasn't in the mind set of being pregnant again. And she is our final baby also ( I had my tubes tied, so I know this for sure : ) ) but I still have dreams that I am pregnant. On those nights, I wake up in a cold sweat ; ) Babies are such sweet blessings though. I am crossing my fingers for another girl for you also. You guys make seriously good lookin' kids, so it's exciting to know another one is coming soon ! Congrats again : )

Kimberly said...

Congratulations, Heather! There is no doubt in my mind that you can do this and do it well! You are amazing and your babies are so beautiful. Hope you continue to feel better!

Marrdy said...

I have been away at Girls Camp and missed your sweet announcement! I remember when I told my fertility story on my blog you were hopeful that you too would have a baby at 7 years. You beat me and you will be great. And I know this sounds awful right now, but love those little babies because some day they will be teenagers and older.

Brian and Janette said...

So...I'm just getting caught up on blogs and WOW! What a happy surprise I've found here. And, for what it's worth...I don't think you need to worry about feeling too sarcastic or biting. It's just real. It's honest. And just because it's not exactly what you had planned, doesn't mean you aren't still grateful...even if you don't feel an OVERWHELMING sense of gratitude at all times. :) What I do know is this...you are amazing. And God is COMPLETELY aware. You will find strength that you didn't know you were capable of previously. It won't be easy, but it will most certainly be worth it! Cheers to you and best of luck, too!