Monday, January 7, 2013

Christmas 2012

We started December off with temple lights. We met our friends the Merrill's for dinner and then took our crew to see the lights. It is always so busy at the temple and it seems like walking around the grounds takes less than 15 minutes and you are done. But the kids had fun running around in the grass afterwards.

Phil was actually on call that night for his OB rotation. He had already had two deliveries that day and thought he would be in the clear. We made it through almost the entire evening when he noted that he had missed a call, even though he had his phone in his pocket. Naturally, it was the hospital telling him there was a c-section scheduled. The nurse didn't leave any information though. We packed up the kids and booked it home. All the while Phil was stressing about how he missed the surgery and what the doctor was going to do/say to him. We reasoned that given the very short amount of notice he had received he would have missed the surgery anyway. I encouraged him to call the hospital, ask for the doctor and face the music. The doctor was very upset with him and lectured him on professionalism and what it means to be "on call". Phil was glad he called and put this experience in the books and we both agreed it was good to have this happen as a medical student versus a resident.

Photobucket

We had our ward party where the kids got to meet Santa. They did great, no one cried or even seemed nervous about the whole deal. We only stayed for dinner and then bailed when our kids were being too naughty. Too many people and the kids were hard to manage; Rhett wanted to run around everywhere and was going to get trampled, Max was whining, crying and tantruming because he wanted more dessert and I can't remember if Kate had any shining moments. Awesome public forum to display our stellar parenting skills and well-mannered children. Ahem.

Photobucket

The rest of the month carried on and I admit I wasn't feeling too festive. I wasn't in the mood to create handmade gifts, the baking bug didn't strike and I was just sort of cruising along. We did go on a few walks in the wagon to see neighborhood lights and drove to one particularly festive street nearby. We watched plenty of Grinch, Frosty the Snowman and Charlie Brown's Christmas. I hope to do better next year in creating fun memories and magic for the kids. I think it will be a bit easier since everyone will be older. As it is I was just trying to stay afloat with mothering.

We did decorate "gingerbread" houses one evening but I forgot to buy frosting and didn't want to make a bunch. I did however have a tub of lemon frosting leftover from a Young Women activity. Yellow snow anyone?

Photobucket

Decorating requires intense concentration. Max always sticks out his tongue when he is working hard.

Photobucket

Christmas morning was wonderful and fast paced. I sadly did not take one picture but we did get video of the kids opening their presents. Phil wanted me to make popovers for breakfast. We did that and yogurt parfaits. But between prepping breakfast and opening presents I kept running back and forth from the kitchen to the family room. Too much crazy. Next year I will figure out something different for breakfast that allows me to be fully present, and camera ready!

The kids loved their gifts and we felt it was the perfect amount. I am going to stick to the 3 gift rule so it doesn't get out of hand. And then when you throw in gifts from grandparents it is more than enough. Our sweet neighbors the Whittaker's also shared gifts with us. So much generosity.

The kids got a little playhouse for the back yard from Santa. (Thank you to my cousin who was getting rid of it!). Rhett got a ball, Max got a Toy Story puzzle and jammies, Kate got a pretend make-up kit that I made out of nail polish and old containers. Add in stockings, the gifts from grandparents and Kendra and they were thrilled with their presents. And I like that we can still keep things simple around here.

One tradition that remains true is Phil and I preparing a wonderful German meal and sharing it with our family on Christmas Day. This year my parents and the Rapier grandparents joined us in our feasting. It was delicious, and so much work. Ha! But it is wonderful to serve our loved ones in this regard and we do enjoy it. Every year we make rouladen, rotkohl, mashed potatoes and gravy from the rouladen, and roasted asparagus. I added a wonderful green salad that had pear, feta, bacon, pecans and cranberries in it. Phil made us fresh crusty bread and I made a pomegranate cheesecake for dessert.

Photobucket

This is at the end of the day and Phil and I are so tired. I look trashed but insisted we take a family picture since we didn't get anything the rest of the day. It was such a good Christmas and I am so thankful for our family and dear friends.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your kids look content with their one Christmas craft and its yellow snow, I'm sure that they didn't notice if you didn't feel that festive and only wanted to do a couple of things. And I love that your tree only has ornaments on the top half!

Kara Willford said...

You still look beautiful even when you're "exhausted" and it's the end of the day! And your kids are darling, as usual.

Nate and Lori said...

I'm impressed with how well your kids do with Santa. And you are amazing for all of your delicious food that you made fr Christmas breakfast and dinner. I am a cooking loser, but that's nothing new. I do agree that moms should take it easy for Christmas breakfast though since usually just getting Christmas off is hard enough. I want to see pics of the fun playhouse!!! We wanted one but it wasn't in the cards this year.