I haven't much to say lately. I haven't been taking many pictures other than with my phone and life has settled into a routine loop of sameness. Nothing new really happens and if we were talking in real life I am afraid I don't have much to talk about other than the kids, and even that is repetitive.
I have been meaning to post some follow-ups regarding said children though, namely with Rhett's ears and Kate's potty training, or lack thereof. Ahem.
Rhett finished his month long course of Zyrtec to dry up the fluid in his ears. This was recommended to us by his ENT as an option to ear tubes. I am so glad we tried it because his ears cleared wonderfully and (fingers crossed!) he has not had an ear infection yet. If we can make it through this cold/flu season unscathed I will feel even better about his prospects.
On the potty training front. Gosh, that seems ages ago but shortly after I declared our success in self mastery of bodily functions Kate had a relapse. Perhaps it was because I started curtailing the lavish praise and reward system. I mean, how many sticker charts and m&m's does a girl need?! Or maybe Kate wasn't quite mature enough to pay attention to the potty cues. I don't know but after she peed on Phil's lap we were done with it. She was having so many accidents and we told her that if she kept doing them she would go back in diapers. The pee in the lap was the final straw and we have put the princess panties back in the drawer. And there they wait until we are both ready for round two. I am thinking we will try again in March. I am getting so tired of changing diapers for her and I feel she is ready. I hope. She seems more aware and uncomfortable with a wet diaper, wanting me to change her after she goes just one time. But then on the other hand she can play with a very wet diaper or even a stinky bum and she doesn't seem to mind. Everyone says to wait until she is ready but when is that?
We have been about one week since my no nap declaration for Max and Kate. And I am reinstating naps tomorrow. Life just goes more smoothly and the kids (and myself!) are more pleasant to be around. Since it is all me all the time around here, I need the mental break from them and they need the physical/mental rest that a nap provides. We all win and I guess who cares that they don't actually fall asleep til 10pm?
I have gone back to work one day a week with my old office. It has been lovely to get out of the house and remember that I have a valuable and useful skill, to interact on a professional level and just talk to other adults! We have a fabulous babysitter that comes to our house to watch the kids and that takes away all the stress of being away from my kids, knowing that they are in the best hands. I am grateful that I have a skill that enables me to contribute to our family, albeit in a very small way with me only working one day a week. But it is enough to put away for the upcoming costs of Phil's residency applications, interviews and the unknown ahead of us.
Phil is nearing the end of his third year of medical school. He is still undecided on a specialty but the options are narrowing. It is difficult for him. We went into this thinking that he would do a subspecialty of pediatrics; neonatology. With the way his third year has played out, he hasn't yet rotated in pediatrics, he will have three months of peds this spring. So he will either love it or hate it! Not an ideal situation to have it all bundled at the end but we will figure things out. This summer is when one should have a clear direction of specialty so that residency applications can start being compiled and his fourth year is generally geared towards the chosen specialty. He feels the pressure of all this and together we are working towards making everything work out. And it will work out, we just can't see it all yet.
On a personal front I am constantly trying to be a better mother and wife. And a better Heather. She is often forgotten. I want to lose 15-20 pounds by my birthday in June. I want to be more diligent in reading my scriptures and saying my prayers. I want to read more books. I want to find more fulfillment in my life right now; in my children, my mothering, in my husband and our current phase of life.
Monday, January 21, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ah potty training... I think I gave up and tried again 4 times with Trey. Some kids are just harder (and more stubborn) than others! And I make my kids nap until they start kindergarten. People don't believe me but I do. Then when they don't nap, they have "quiet time". :) It's better for all of us.
He should be a pediatric Urologist or a Pediatric Nephrologist - Douglas has been to a lot of those but we haven't LOVED anyone we've seen. They are all smart and know their stuff, but we want someone who is really down to earth and wants to treat Douglas too - not just his disease. That's my 2 cents : )
Your last paragraph--the eternal struggle of nearly every stay-at-home mother of young children--is one that I can completely relate to. There are so many things that I'd LIKE to be doing, but just can't find the time or the energy to do it all. I've discovered 3 things that are vital to my successes as a wife and mother...and I'm guessing those things are unique to each mother, but if I can at least get those 3 things done every day, I feel fulfilled. And that fulfillment bouys me up and spills over into all aspects of my life, therefore generating more fulfillment. I realize that this may not make any sense. Sorry for the rambling. What I'm trying to say is just to find 2-3 things that will fill Heather's cup...do them diligently and frequently. Let go of the other things you aren't getting to and let the fulfillment of your 2-3 things spill over in to the rest of your life. Much easier said than done, I know...
You are amazing Heather! Sometimes I feel like I am reading my journal when I read your blog. It is so hard as a mom to find a moment to yourself, let alone actually do things that are for YOU! This is especially true when your husband is in medical school!! BUT if any one can do it it is you!!!!
James totally regressed after he was potty trained. It was extremely frustrating and discouraging. I was very stubborn and powered through, but I think it is important to do what is best for you and the kid. And eventually those princess panties will be out again. Hopefully that time it will be smoother sailing. I often wonder if I had just been a little more patient and a little less stubborn if it would have been a better experience for all of us.
I am so happy (and slightly jealous) of your new working situation. I can't even count how many times I have looked at jobs here but just as I am going to send in my resume I chicken out. Mostly because of childcare. Soooooo stressful! I am so happy that you have a great sitter that you like. That is a HUGE blessing. Especially when your husband is gone so much!! And you will be SO grateful for the extra money come application time. It was the only way we were able to do it. I really do not know how others who were living on max loans made it work.
Good luck to Phil. Picking a residency is such a stressful and major decision. I have known several doctors who changed their mind mid residency or post residency and start all over in a different field (ugh!). We will send prayers and thoughts your way. Of course for VERY selfish reasons I would LOVE for him to do residency here in Vegas, whatever field he chooses!!!
So what does it feel like to be caught up on a blog that you actually have time to post what is happening right now and can actually say that you dont have much to report. :)
Potty Training...blech. Im done worrying about it. Everything that I have overstressed as a mom as always taken care of itself. Im sure Kate will do much better the next time around.
Im glad that work is going really well and that the babysitting arrangement is working out. That definitely makes everything so much easier and less stressful. And man a paycheck is a beautiful thing! Even if it is only 1 day a week.
Best of luck on the whole figuring out the rest of your prefessional life stuff. Man...the stress. I hope that you guys can find something that is a good fit. I can understand the stress and I feel for you. It wont last forever. Just keep telling yourself that. There will come a day when you guys look back and laugh.
And amen to your last paragraph. You are awesome. And Im so glad to know you. A time and a Season...just try to do what you can with where you are at now. But yes, everything will feel much better if you feel like you are being taken care of and having at least a little bit of time for yourself.
Dont be so hard on yourself though...you are one of my fave people!
Post a Comment