Not just crap but HOLY FREAK OUT!

Total blowout. I had no idea how bad it was since there was no way I could safely get out of my truck. All I knew was that I was stuck in 65+mph traffic in a very bad location. There was road construction that had merged everyone into two skinny lanes with zero wiggle room. And I was blocking one of them.
I turned on my hazard lights, frantically called Phil and tearfully told him of our predicament. He told me to call the cops and have someone help me out of the lane. I did and they redirected my call to DPS, took my info and I sat.
Tender Mercy #1: A construction worker drove his tractor over to us and asked what was going on. I told him of the situation and that help was coming. I thought that I couldn't drive in this condition and that we were going to have to sit there until help arrived. Meanwhile, another construction worker who was heading out for the day was making a beeline over to us. He told me to get the heck of the road (not really but pretty much) and that he wanted me to drive at a walking pace until I could pull over. Almost a mile away. This tire blew at the worst possible place.
I did as directed, white-knuckling the steering wheel as our truck hobbled along. It sounded awful and I was sure that I was tearing up the truck something fierce.
As I was driving I could see that these amazing men had driven a huge work truck out onto the freeway behind me and were waving off traffic so we didn't get creamed from behind. Another truck sped along side me on the other side of the concrete berms to meet me at the safe clearing. And the man who told me to get off the road was waiting in his car making sure I did so safely.
We finally made it and two construction workers got right to work evaluating the tire and peppering me with questions regarding the spare, jack, etc. I pulled the kids out of the truck and one said "Man! If I knew you had kids in there I would gone double-time! Forget the rim!". Um, thanks? I felt like mother of the year though I know that wasn't his intent.
I put Max and Kate in the back of the truck with strict instructions to stay put. One man gave them some cold water and they were quite enjoying this adventure.
Tender Mercy #2: It is October, not terribly hot and my kids are not freaking out.

Tender Mercy #3: The construction workers were still at the site. When I drove back to the shoe store 20 minutes later there was no one there.
Tender Mercy #4: Phil was home.
Tender Mercy #5: We didn't get hit or die. :) But really, that was such a blessing that nothing serious happened to us.

I am so grateful that those men were generous and kind in assisting me. I felt woefully inadequate just trying to find the tire jack, unlocking the spare tire, etc. I know that physically I do not have the strength to unlock the spare from under the truck bed, remove the bad tire and throw it in the back of the truck. And changing the tire? Ah! Phil tightens the lug nuts with an air gun. I have been working out but psh! Bless those sweet men who helped the crazy lady sitting in traffic with two small children. If I had waited for DPS to show up we would have been there a looooong time.
8 comments:
That's pretty scary! Glad there were some nice construction workers there right at that time to help you out!
I am so glad that you are ok!
Im glad that you can see that through a positive light because thats pretty much my worst nightmare ever. I have been stranded on the freeway before and all hysteria breaks loose...and that was without children in the back. Im glad that you are all ok, and that nothing more serious happened.
I am so glad you are all ok. I got all teary eyed reading this thinking about being in that situation with my babies and then having awesome people helping out. There are still good people!
Scary!! I'm so glad you're okay! And if it had to happen, I'm also SO glad it happened in October!
Whoa! So Scary. Glad everything worked out.
ahhhhh! So scary! It is a tender mercy you are okay!!! I am glad you had help and everything turned out alright.
I can't even imagine how freaky that must have been! You were so blessed! This story made me get teary eyed as well. It's seriously a miracle how things like this can happen and no one gets hurt. Really helps put things in perspective and makes you realize what is important in life! Glad you and your kiddos are safe!
Post a Comment