Yesterday while the kids napped I finished putting together my family photo wall. I am in love! This project makes me so happy every time I see it. The kids love seeing us on the wall and throughout the day I hear "a Kate, a Max, a baby Rhett, a mommy, a daddy!".
The big photo wall is above our couch and make such a statement now for me. I am not used to seeing it and it usually takes me off guard but I just love how it turned out. It looks so clean and perfect that it made me want to get the rest of my house clean and in order to match it and finish other lingering projects. I love the energy and satisfaction that comes after I finish something productive.
Being on a tight budget I used several frames that we already owned, thrifted a few solid wood frames, snagged a $3 one at Wal-mart and bought unfinished wood frames at Hobby Lobby and spray painted them all the same color if they weren't already black. I chose black since I know we will likely be in rental homes during our medical training and won't be able to paint and it appeals to the traditional side of me. I feel like I haven't yet figured out my "style" yet and since we aren't going to be having a decorating budget or discretionary funds for a loooong time I should figure that out before making pricey purchases.
I received the canvas of the kids yesterday, the missing piece I was waiting on and it is gorgeous. Such lovely quality and the image is perfection to me.

I ordered this image below on canvas through a new company and a groupon type deal. Never again. It was going to be the focal point of the big wall and it was wretched. They even reprinted it for me after I complained and still it was terrible. The image was stretched, the colors were heavy and over saturated. Just awful. I have two ugly canvases just sitting in my office now and a credit with a company I don't want to ever use again and cannot recommend. I've learned my lesson and now will save my pennies for quality and reputable professional labs like the one I used for the kids.

This is also from the coupon deal but after dealing with the company and already receiving two terrible canvases (this one was already ordered and in production before I received the above to know to steer clear) I was tired of the fight and since it was better than the previous two I kept it. The colors are also off and the image is too cool/blue. I am very particular and want my printed product to match what was originally created. If i am going to spend money on a product I want to be proud to hang it on my wall.
Regardless of it's flaws I love my little family and had never printed any images from this session, it will stay on the wall where less discerning eyes can notice. (Sorry, that was a tangent that I didn't mean to go on, moving on!)

The three frames above the TV went up first and I love love LOVE it. It makes such a difference to fill in all that empty space we had going on. My three babes with their sparkling eyes. I literally stop and smile back at them, it makes my heart swell up and I just want to go and kiss their faces off.
I love the anticipation of waiting for my print order; the doorbell chiming and hearing the engine of the UPS driver pulling away, tearing open the carefully packed goods and admiring the quality of the product, the beautiful paper and texture. My gorgeous family. Mmmm. Love it.

My newborns got moved off the main living room wall and into the office. A bit of color for our rental white walls. Though clearly I forgot to zoom in a bit when ordering Rhett's image so he would match Max and Kate's but he seems to balance out Camden's. I will probably reorder one day so they are more similar in crop factor because it bugs me. Oh well.

My view from the kitchen sink/prep area, where I spend most my day it seems. It makes me so happy. I love that I am surrounded by my family and it always helps to cheer me up and keep things in perspective when I am having a rough mommy day.

I am glad I did this and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I take thousands of images each year and have been terrible at printing them. Not anymore! I think I am addicted and if money wasn't a worry I would be papering my walls with photographs, every room would have large beautiful images. Some day that will be a reality in my home.
6 comments:
I also take so many pictures, but I am horrible about getting them printed. When I scrapbooked, like forever ago, I printed pics out all the time. Now I hardly ever do, and I have a way nicer camera. This year with our taxes I finally splurged and bought some big black picture frames for above our couch and printed pics of my ladies for them. It looks so much better and I am happy I did it!
I can't think of anything that could possibly make better wall art than the mugs of your own beautiful children. I love your collage. You may have inspired me to print off photos. Maybe I should just start with getting family pics done first, huh?
LOVE IT! Great job!
It turned out soooo beautiful!!! I love all of the pictures that you chose. I love having prints of my family up...but then sometimes I feel like people think I am narcissitic for having my face plastered all over my walls...oh well, its what I love and it makes me happy. I love your idea of having all of the newborn pics too.
So where do you have your photos printed? I usually go with Costco (dont cringe) just purely based on the cheapness but one of my friends recently told me about Nations Photo Lab online and I was thinking of trying them out.
An idea for the canvases that you dont like is to cover them in some sort of fabric.canvas and let Max & Kate each paint one. I keep thinking that I want to have Reese do that so I can display her artwork.
It is Perfect!!! Gorgeous! I love the arrangement, it turned out so beautiful.
Good to know not to use the Groupon things for canvases.
Post a Comment