Friday, October 14, 2011

"We did it!"

Today I felt brave. Max and Kate were itching to get out of the house and I had some dishes to return to friends and a baby gift to drop off. I figured we would kill two birds and have an outing; run our errands and then meet some friends, walk to the park and let the kids play.

This sounds fine and dandy but in reality translated to a whole lotta work. Just getting the four of us out of the house after my initial decision took 45 minutes:

  • nurse Rhett, change diaper, burp, etc.
  • pack a diaper bag for three, snacks and sippies included 
  • dress myself in proper walking attire
  • load Max and Kate into the truck
  • load the BOB into the truck, attach tailgate
  • load Rhett into truck
  • gather dishes, diaper bag, waters, baby carrier, etc.
At this point I ditched the errands and just went straight to the park so the kids could play.

You should have seen us! I wish I would have had my friend J'lene take a picture of our crazy circus get-up. Me pushing a double stroller one handed, Rhett strapped on my front with my other hand holding a blanket over him to block the sun, diaper bag and cup balanced on the stroller canopies. Yeah, good times. 

We walked roughly a mile round trip, the kids played at a new park and I got some much needed girl talk. As Max and Kate would say, "we did it!". Rhett slept the whole time, happiest when he is on my person, Max and Kate played with their friend, had snacks and some much needed outdoor time. We all were worn out and took a nice long nap. 

I know it will get easier to get out of the house solo with three kids, like in a few years...

6 comments:

Candace said...

WOW, I'm impressed!! If I want to go somewhere by myself with the kids...I have to do A LOT of prep the night before!! If I don't it literally takes all day to coordinate getting everyone ready and fed...ahhhh! Go you!

Elise said...

Yikes! You are brave! Good Job!!The grocery store was always the scary place for me.I hated it when the baby would be good the whole time I shopped and then when I was getting ready to pay, then they would start crying.

Jennifer said...

Makes you rethink any previous position you had on kid leashes. You are braved than me, and my husband. He won't even take both our girls to Walmart by himself and they're big enough to walk nicely in the store, not that they do. I'm sure it will get easier, it'll just take awhile. Good luck!

J'lene Fernandez Merrill said...

It was very impressive. You made it look like a breeze too! Next time I will def have to take picture. p.s. Cali trip fell through (again). So we are still here and ready to play!

Brian and Janette said...

Just got back from vacation and caught up on your last two posts. You are doing absolutely wonderful! Deep breath...cherish the moments...nurture yourself...another deep breath! It will get easier and you will survive! Keep your chin up.

Nate and Lori said...

I remember just how stressful it was taking a tiny newborn on an outing and adding 2 toddlers to it that want constant snacks and drinks and poss diaper changes just stresses me out! But Im sure it feels good to get outside (even if it is still 100 degrees) and to be able to start to feel like a real person again. 1 outing down, only about 15,000 more to go...