Thursday, June 9, 2011

One Year Down!

Phil finished his first year of medical school Friday, May 20th. One year. It went so fast and I can only hope the rest of school and training fly by as well. But then that means my kids' lives are going just as fast and that can slow down, thank you very much.

We kicked off the summer by heading out to California Friday evening. We loaded down our Sentra and drove ever so slowly to stop at Stephanie's. 347 miles, 6 hours and 4 weary numb bums later we call it a night. We enjoyed a nice relaxing weekend with Steph's family; the kids played, Phil and Dave golfed and Steph and I talked and shopped. Grocery shopping but still...

Monday afternoon we left the wonderful accommodations of Stephanie and headed into San Diego to meet up with our friends, the Graffs, who were gracious enough to invite us to hang out by the beach and stay in a condo with them. It worked out wonderfully. Shanna and I split meal prep and the kids are about the same age and played relatively well as far as three almost 2-year olds go. It was so nice to have a little apartment style "home" to stay in complete with kitchen, two bedrooms and baths and a dining/living room area. Perfect for two families with little ones so we could still respect the nap and bedtime schedules.

Monday was a travel day and we just settled in, ordered Thai food and after putting the kids down for the night Shanna and I went grocery shopping.

Tuesday morning we visited Seaport Village:

Photobucket

Checking out the Ben and Jerry's cow bench.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Scaring the dickens out of Kate with the giant stuffed lobster.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Walking the waterway.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Poor Kate decided today was a good day to cut molars. She was miserable and I left the Tylenol at the condo. Her shirt was drenched from her drool.

Photobucket

We attempted a family photo.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The smiles didn't come out until the kids experienced freedom. Little turkeys.

Photobucket

Our awesome friends the Graff's.

Photobucket

The only reason Austin is cooperating is because there was a huge truck behind me, hence the distracted look. But hey! We moms will take what we can get!

6 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

Hooray for the first year of school done ! It's funny seeing you on that Ben and Jerry's cow because we were just there a few weeks ago - and we took a picture with it ! Sea Port Village is awesome, we love it there !

Amy said...

Ah, San Diego! I love it. We're going first week in July and I can't wait.
Seaport Village is so fun, but the shopping is too pricey. I guess that's true for most tourist traps.

What a fun vaycay, glad you guys could get away!

J'lene Fernandez Merrill said...

How fun! The picture of drooling Kate is PRICELESS! Love it and you guys!

Marilyn said...

Can't believe how big the twins have gotten! I love San Diego and nothing better than a condo at the beach and just relaxing.

Julie said...

It looks like a blast! Your pictures as always look amazing. Congrats to Phil on completing one year! Woo hoo!

Nate and Lori said...

Yay for 1 year down! I thought that the 1st year was the worst and then it went faster from there. Now that we are done, I was jealous to see that you have all of these friends to get together with that are in Med school too. That is the best.

Anyways, enough of that. Your family picture is really cute. i say you might as well remember the kids as they are (even if that means that they never look).