Max woke up crying from his morning nap. I quickly swooped into the room, plucked him out and together we peeked in on Kate. She was still asleep, sprawled out on her tummy, body fully extended and as I looked closer I see two perfect round little cheeks. Her diaper discarded in the corner. I smile and we hurry to get the camera but before I can get my settings right and my lens cap off she wakes up. We change diapers, dress and have a snack of applesauce sprinkled with cinnamon before we load up for their one year well visit.
Fast forward to the afternoon nap: Kids are fed, cleaned up and since we just finished lunch they are in diapers only. I think nothing of it as I plunk them down in their respective cribs and leave the room. I decide to take a nap myself.
I awaken to Max crying, I will my heavy eyes to open and peer at the clock on my bedside table. Only 45 minutes have passed. Not good enough. I put the pillow over my head and go back to sleep.
Again Max wakes me up and another look at the clock confirms that this time the nap is over.
I walk down the hall, open the bedroom door and am blasted with the wretched smell of a dirty diaper. Only this time much much worse. I get Max from his crib first since he weighs more and find Kate standing at her crib naked.
Naked. Covered in poop. The crib slats are smeared, there are a few turds scattered about, she is dancing and smashing poop into her white sheets. The bumper is soiled and she is grinning for the moment. I am not grinning.
After a bath, wiping down and disinfecting the crib, washing her sheet, bumper, bear and taggy blanket and Febreezing the room all is well.
It has been one of those days. Crying, clingy children. Max has discovered the art of the tantrum. Where do they learn how to arch their back and throw themselves onto the floor? Where did my sweet boy go? We all have our days and I am hoping for a better one tomorrow.
It is 5:30pm. My kids are in bed for the night, the kitchen is cleaned, toys put away and I am going to have some retail therapy, granted it is to Costco for diapers but I think I need a chocolate almond ice cream bar.
Low of the day: Kate's poop extravaganza. That little one will now be clothed at all times.
High of the day: Phil's face when Kate finally said "Da". That moment makes all the tears, snot, poop and baby drama worth it a thousand times.
Friday, September 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Oh goodness. Thank heavens I've only heard of stories like that happening...our little guy has left his diaper and the toilets alone (thank goodness) and we'll keep crossing our fingers that it stays that way.
Here's to a better day tomorrow!
a chocolate almond ice cream bar from costco will help alleviate ANY bad day!!! i enjoyed your poop story, you are a good writer and i got the visual easily,and it made me smile. because it was YOUR child and not mine. just sayin'. hahaha!
Thank goodness for those mother moments. They really do wipe away all of the hard times as quickly as they came.
You just renewed my resolve to make sure Croix has clothes on for his nap! He pulls at his diaper from time to time. I keep worrying this story will be mine before too long! Also yes where do they learn to throw a tantrum? Croix has certainly never seen another child do it and yet he knows to throw himself on the ground and kick and scream??!?!?! Sigh
i clearly remember those times. i thought onsies would solve my problem with remy but he learned to go around and through the crotch area and still manage to get the diaper off. i eventually had him in full piece, zippered up jumpers and i even had to safety pin the zipper down because he was still so determined to get that poop! so ya i'm wishing you more luck than i had!
How about duck tape? I heard it will keep anything together so maybe she won't be able to get her diaper off :) It's such a funny story, but granted I didn't experience the after affects. Hope you got your ice cream bar cuz you deserved it!
Abigail pulled a day like that. I was working that day and Daddy got to find the lovely art work....No leaving her in the diaper anymore.... Your kids are so cute!! Hope you guys are doing well!
We got lucky and discovered Annie's thrill for taking off her diaper at nap time with just pee on the bed. Oh I count my lucky stars.
Post a Comment