On the baby front; Kate continues to excel. She weighs in at 3 pounds 11.4 ounces as of last night. She tolerates her feeds well and when she feels like it will take her entire bottle by mouth. We get excited when this happens as it is one step closer to them coming home. And then in true preemie fashion she absolutely refuses to take her bottle (like last night at her 8pm feed). One step forward... Though to her credit the nurse had tried to sneak in her nasty vitamin that smells and probably tastes like fertilizer while she was eating. She promptly stopped sucking and pushed the whole mouthful of milk and nastiness out. And then she was on to us and refused to nipple any more. I tried. Oh, how I tried! The nurse was kind and let her take a break, even saying that she will try again in an hour or so if she wakes up. Kate promptly took her up on the offer and fell asleep in her daddy's arms while I pumped. Phil is absolutely smitten.
Max is our chubster and is 4 pounds 5 ounces now. He looks and feels so big compared to Kate, we are only talking a matter of ounces but really! He is off his IV and if he can tolerate his feeds and take in enough liquid by mouth than he doesn't need to get one in again. He has had tummy issues and we were slowly increasing the amount he eats by 2ml every 12 hours when he had his IV in. Now that it is out he needs to eat a lot more! This worries us since we felt that the doctors were pushing him too hard and fast before causing him to reflux and step down. Let's pray he can do it! We want him to stay off the IV.
Kate is in an open crib since she is managing her own temperature and Max is still a bit on the cool side. He is also anemic and is getting extra iron and a mean shot in his thigh three times per week. If you want to hear that kid wail then stab him in his thigh. Poor baby! He hates it and gets downright angry. Luckily we are usually nearby to help him and love him. He gets over it pretty quick.
Of course what would a post be without pictures...

Our Miss Kate loves her sleep.

Chubby Max with his sweet cheeks that I kiss so often. He is anemic and therefore still pale and a bit yellow.

Max. Just love him. His big eyes and sweet hands which are always by his face. (It is a comfort thing for preemies and just dang adorable.)
If anyone wants to join me at the hospital to help with feeds you are more than welcome! We are at Banner Desert and the kids eat every 3 hours; 8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, etc. I am down there in the morning for the 11am feed and stay for a few hours. I would love some company!
16 comments:
Glad for the updates.... If you really want company, I may take you up on the offer -- pretty sure some grandmas would love to care for Abigail.
Hope things keep progressing -- I remember Abigail enjoyed putting her hands by her face alot.... Have you been able to go to CCN yet?
Are you kidding me?!? I would love to come and see those sweet babies. I didn't know if you were wanting people at the hospital. Anyway I will call you and see when is a good day to come. Glad they are doing so well.
I wish, I WISH I could come keep you company!! I would love to see those little sweeties! They're making great progress. You're a smart mama to keep a good journal. I was good about that for Gwenna for a while and I really wish I'd kept up on it. Thanks for the updates, Heather! :)
I so want to come on a Saturday! As you know I do day care on weekdays, but will be there on a Saturday. I will get ahold of you and find out what day! Love Ya!
They are more and more precious everyday. And I cannot believe how BIG they are getting. Amazing and such a miracle. They have come a long way. Way to go Kate and Max !
I sent you an email, but I can help this Thursday at 11 am if you don't have help already.
I am so happy to hear that your little ones are doing so well. they are absolutely adorable and you two should be so proud. I hope they continue to grow stronger so you may take them home to that cute nursery you set up. Keep up the good work, you make an amazing mother!
I am going to work on coming down soon. I will let you know. I am thinking next week and maybe on Tuesday. Anyways, they are so dang cute and can't wait to see them again. I will see you tomorrow and talk to you about drop off time.
I would love to come and help feed the babies. I know you have quite a few already responding, so next week on Monday or Tuesday, any time. Please let me know!
Hurray for precious progess. Max reminds me of my Leta, not that he looks like a girl, but the big eyes and the hands by the face. I love it!
If you still want some company I sent you a letter on facebook with my phone #. give me a call! I would LOVE to come! :) They're looking GREAT!!!
I can't believe how much older they both look! Beautiful! Have they let you try to nurse yet? I sure hope those babies take to it. It is amazing how much deeper the bonding is, on both sides, during nursing!
We were just out there for Kendals apt. and I thought of you. We are actually there every monday for therapy and at her gi dr. wednesday. But I have Kendal so it wouldn't work. She is a wild little girl that can run fast (And not allowed). They are so cute. Hope they continue progressing!!
They're just beautiful! I don't work tomorrow, so I'll see if I can get a grandma to watch my Max so I can come down for the 11 feeding. I'll give you a call if I can!
Oh, I wish I lived close to you so I could come and help out! I'm glad they are doing better. They are absolutely precious.
What beautiful babies! I would love to come help, but are they coming home soon?
I love that you are journaling, both you guys and the babies will love to read that later on in life. I sometimes forget to write in her baby book and then the days and milestones blur and I can't remember which thing happened when.
I was looking at the pictures and Kate looks so much like Phil and Max like you. I swear girls tend to look like their Daddies (is that right sp?) They are absolutely beautiful babies.
Addelynn has really bad tummy issues, too. I sure hope Max's tolerance to feedings gets better each day :) Thanks for keeping us posted. You are doing an incredible job at documenting the journey!
Post a Comment