Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A first for everything

2:00pm. I seat & greet my patient, review medical history and any dental complaints. None found. Good. I take the necessary x-rays and then lay him back to begin my periodontal (gum) assessment. The man has not graced us with is presence for almost 3 years. I already know what to expect and I am not disappointed.

I explain what I am about to do, what the numbers mean and begin probing. I am barely onto the 3rd tooth and he stops me and irritatedly tells me "you know, this hurts!". I apologize for any discomfort and continue on as he winces and grimaces. I am gentle but thorough. A few teeth later he stops me, asks "why I am doing this?", and informing me that he didn't come in here to get "stabbed with needles!" That it hurts like a *@!^ (insert rude and inappropriate word). I stop and firmly and professionally tell him that it hurts because he has not been to a dentist for 3 years, that he has an infection, and that from what I have recorded so far he will need a "deeper" cleaning. I tell him that what I am doing is necessary for me to treat him appropriately and that the procedure I am doing is considered non-aggressive and yet he is still uncomfortable and that I would recommend he be numb for his "cleaning".

He stops me before I can continue any further, tells me he is not comfortable with this situation and before I can get a word in he bolts upright, pulls off his bib and tells me he needs to reschedule and promptly walks out the door. I am dumbfounded! I slowly stand, remove my gloves and mask and look at my chair fully extended, light still on, the bib lying discarded on the floor.

And then I do something silly and unexpected. I cry.

Don't ask me why, blame it on girly hormones or just sheer confusion and slight offense. I pull myself together (silly me!) and inform the front desk of the situation and then my doctor.

My doctor was gracious about the situation, asking if I was running off his patients. I confirmed that apparently I was. I got to write a fancy letter continuing the conversation that should have taken place if the irrational man would have stayed in his chair like a good patient and informed him that he still needs to finish his appointment and what treatment he needs.

I just hope I am not the one to see him next time around. Though it may be a few years before he comes back, if ever. And that is fine by me! Hopefully that was my first and last patient to leave my chair so rudely.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that happened to you. He was probably embarrassed by the fact that he was in so much pain and being a baby. I am a big dentist baby too so I can relate. You would hate me as a patient. I just stopped by to thank you and your counselors and leaders for a wonderful New Beginnings. My little girl (I guess not so little anymore) is sold. So a big thank you for such a great introduction. Also, don't forget to post February's Self Reliant goals. I am eagerly awaiting. Loved the post! Thanks for letting me blog stalk from time to time. :>

Terina said...

Holy cow! He's a crazy train, off the rails! Good for you for crying! Girls are silly & we cry, that's just how God made us!

Christi said...

What a baby!! You should have just told him to act like a man and suck it up ha ha! I'm with you though, I probably would have cried too.

Mandi said...

What a horrible person -- he'll have to come back (to someone) soon though because I'm sure he'll end up in dire pain eventually. I hate encounters like that - they make me cry too. Maybe the hormonal thing is good -- are you pregnant? I cry at everything when I'm pregnant - especially if people take my food. I love hearing your interesting stories, it makes me see the dental office differently.

Loree said...

man! what a jerk! sorry that happened to you. i think if it were me i would cry too. I hope you don't have to see him again either. ps check out my blog ;)

Kami Milliron said...

It sounds like you did a good job being very professional about the whole thing. If I were in your position, I would have made it hurt more - just because he was being a big baby : )

Heather said...

No, I am not pregnant. Just FYI, when that happens I will post a monster announcement.

Nate and Lori said...

Just wait, when all of his teeth fall out, he'll remember that an adorable hygienist once tried to warn him of this. Why do we have to cry though? I had a patient call me an f'in b*(*& once because her blood sugar (she checked it right there) was over 300. I recommended that she go see her Physician immediately. She told me that I knew nothing about diabetes and then called me that not so nice word. Of course I cried, just not in front of her.

I hate when patients claim that their gums hurt because you are stabbing them. Or that you are making them bleed. Sometimes I just want to say "you know what...I amke the same amount of money if I sit here and scale this calculus off your teeth of if I just pick up the prophy angle. Do you think that I'm doing this because I actually enjoy it? No, I'm trying to help you, so shut up and open wide." Geez, I'd say I'm a bit burnt out. Hopefully none of my patients read your blog.

Wendy said...

Oh, Heather. I would have cried, too; and I have. It's virtually impossible not to take things like that personally. This is what we went to school to do, it's what we do everyday, and we do it the very best way we know how. When someone doesn't appreciate our efforts or is blatently rude like that man, our feelings are hurt.

I've had almost the exact same thing happen to me. My face and neck get red and hot just thinking about it.

Taryn and Sterling said...

Heather, I am so sorry. I would have cried too. I second Lori's comments. He will remember you one day when his teeth fall out. I hope that I never have to deal with a patient that rude.

Tiffany said...

Heather,
I have had this happen, except he DID come back and finish the treatment, 6 to 8 appoints 20 to 30 minutes in length as this is all he could handle. I cried the first appointment too, I also remember telling my dentist that I quit, (I really didn't.) I am scheduled to see him again in 2 months, I might just call in sick.

Fowler Farm said...

Well he'll get sweet justice for that rudeness when the perio disease takes over and he starts spiting out teeth. HAha! You probably handled it better than me. I would have just stuttered all over myself and looked dumbfounded.