Monday, July 23, 2007

Piano Lessons

I have had a burning desire to learn how to play the piano for awhile now. We even bought a used piano at a garage sale for a smokin' deal of $250 a few years ago. And yet the poor, lonely piano sat in the front room just filling space instead of filling the Gunnell home with lovely chords of sweet clinking keys. Then Stephanie moved in with us and shared her talent and nurtured the neglected piano. Then Stephanie moved out and the piano cried. So sad.

Fast forward. Saturday evening approaches. We have yet to leave the house. Chores are done and homework is finished. Whatever are two bored beings to do? Eyeing the broken piano (it needs $500 of repairs to be in tip-top shape) Phil decides to get reaquainted. He took 7 years of piano from little old Ruby when he was younger. That's 7 Years folks! And yet somehow he has forgotten all. Ruby would not be pleased.

Downloading free sheet music we start at the beginning. Remember Ode to Joy, Fur Elise, Twinkle Twinkle and La Cucuracha? How about the acronym "All Cows Eat Grass & Good Boys Do Fine Always" to remember the notes in the Bass Clef. Ruby might just be smiling now. Maybe all her hard work will again be realized. And if you come by on a slow Saturday night you just might hear sweet melodic strains, er clumsy versions of classic music pieces from the Primer & First Year. I can hardly wait for the recital! ;)

The Proud Self-Taught Students

3 comments:

Kim said...

You crack me up. I wish I had a piano so bad. I almost got Grandma Shelley's but my dad called my sister first and told her that I said that I didn't want it so Jen got it. I was so mad. I told her that he never called and if he did it would have been mine. Anyways, i really want to take lessons again, but I need a piano to practice on. Oh well, maybe my mom will give me hers.

Miss Niss said...

Maybe Rebekkah can show you how it's done! ha!!! She started lessons 2 weeks ago!!

Oh and I'm so mad that you guys were HOME on saturday! we had a bday party for one of Rebekkah's friends at the peter piper on ellsworth and baseline...we passed by your house on the way home and I thought to myself, we should stop in!! But they wouldn't be home on a SATURDAY night!!! GOSH!!

Anonymous said...

okay, what I like about your blog... it makes me laugh. I love the way you write and you are very good at drawing people in. Now for a moment, pretent I'm Ruby LeSueur: PHILLIP, fingering! Did you practice fingering? Your fingers are all over the place.

Rest in peace, dear Ruby.